Dallas will not select a QB at no 4.

VACowboy

Reaction score
I have. My comment in no way was my personal opinion on how i feel about the QB's in this draft but he did come out of nowhere and i even read that former scouts reviews on him that he is being rated so high on what he could be with all the physical tools. Not the player that he is today. But question to you. What about my comment do you not like? Just curious.

Who says I didn't like your comment? :D

I realize that no one had heard of Lynch before the season and I've not read the opinions of any scouts. But I did watch him play four times this year and he looked like the real deal to me. His slow release makes me wary, but he's got pretty much everything else. I guess my disagreement is, if the Cowboys select Lynch, he won't be asked to start as a rookie, or even in his second year. He'll sit behind Romo for a couple of seasons, learn the pro game and hone those "raw" skills. Maybe we would be drafting him on potential, but that's fine by me. The guy has a lot of talent.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nor should they. I'm of the mindset that drafting a player in the first round to sit for a few years is a luxury for good teams, something we're not. Drafting in the top 5, we need to get a Day 1 starter.
If you're not a good team, why do you care at all about a "day one starter"? You want the guy who's going to the biggest part of your next great team, which is a couple years or more down the road.

The Natural

Reaction score
If you're not a good team, why do you care at all about a "day one starter"? You want the guy who's going to the biggest part of your next great team, which is a couple years or more down the road.

I want the guy who's going to help the team next year. Just because you aren't a good team today doesn't mean it has to be a 5 year turn around, those days are over, especially in this division.

RandyOh

Reaction score
Who says I didn't like your comment? :D

I realize that no one had heard of Lynch before the season and I've not read the opinions of any scouts. But I did watch him play four times this year and he looked like the real deal to me. His slow release makes me wary, but he's got pretty much everything else. I guess my disagreement is, if the Cowboys select Lynch, he won't be asked to start as a rookie, or even in his second year. He'll sit behind Romo for a couple of seasons, learn the pro game and hone those "raw" skills. Maybe we would be drafting him on potential, but that's fine by me. The guy has a lot of talent.

Oh i understand that but i was just seeing how posters on here felt about that because i feel some feel they can be an asset down the road but it seems most are just in panic mode overrating them just because we saw how horrible our offense is without Romo. I feel their are a few other QB's in this years draft who can be successful sitting as well but most don't want to entertain the idea of a QB not named Lynch or Goff.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
No I don't have a pet cat. as it says in my post I am all about filling needs.

"Also with Nkenmdiche dropping there are only 2 prospects that rank with the QBs to begin with"

Says who? Who has Lynch and Goff rated as the two top players?

We pick 4. I was talking Ramsey and that DE. I have Lynch well above Goff Wentz and everyone else.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I want the guy who's going to help the team next year. Just because you aren't a good team today doesn't mean it has to be a 5 year turn around, those days are over, especially in this division.
If you can compete for a championship next year with the addition of one rookie, you're already a good team.

The Natural

Reaction score
If you can compete for a championship next year with the addition of one rookie, you're already a good team.

Why are you adding words to my posts? Read what I said and then read what you said.

CowboyWay

If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State
Reaction score
I completely agree with the OP. There will be a lot of upset people on draft day here if they think we are picking a QB early.

Think about it...... These QB's simply aren't rated high enough to be seen as top 4 picks. And even if they were......

Look at it from Jerry's perspective, and for that matter Garretts...

We just came off a 12-4 year with Romo playing out of his mind. They all know the window is closing for Romo and Garrett knows the window is closing for him too if he doesn't start producing. Do you REALLY think Jerry/Stephen are going to take a guy with the 4th pick to sit on the bench for 2 years? Romo has a huge contract. There is simply NO POINT in drafting a qb that early.

What did we do last year that won games for us? We controlled the ball and dominated time of possesion. Thats what they want to get back to. I think they all know our Wideouts stink (except for Dez). If you added another big time wideout to move the chains (Treadwell), and add a good runningback via free agency or the draft, the recipe is there to pick up where we left off in 2013. Not to mention a better WR opposite dez will keep blitzers at bay and romo won't have to sit there waiting for someone other than dez to get open (who is always double covered). With a big time weapon at reciever, he can take a 3 strep drop and get rid of the ball to Witten, Treadwell, or Dez. You even have Butler as a deep threat. This will keep Romo healthy and upright. Not to mention adding a more explosive back. McFadden has done fine, but you know they are looking for more out of the RB position than he brought.

2nd round...... Jerry loves the late round monster gem. I could see him thinking either Jaylon Smith, or Nkemdiche falls to the 2nd round because of Smiths injury, or because of Nkemdiche is a nutjob (just like gregory fell last year). Maybe they even panic and move back into the 1st round to pick up one of these players. You never know with Jerry.

If nothing else...WR, LB, CB and even RB are in play here for the first couple of picks. I believe there is zero chance of a QB.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
If Goff or Lynch are available and we pass (and as long as they look like good QB prospects and nothing significantly bad happens between now and the draft), it would be a HORRIBLE move to pass up on the QB.

Dumb, stupid, idiotic, moronic, short sighted, etc.

YR

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why are you adding words to my posts? Read what I said and then read what you said.
I have no idea what you're criticizing here. What I said directly follows from what you said.

You said (a) we're not a good team and (b) we need to draft a guy in the first round who can start on day one, because (c) turnarounds can happen fast. That implies that you believe that by taking a day-one starter with our first pick (as opposed to a player who wouldn''t start his first year), the Cowboys can compete for a championship next season. Why else would you care about the day-one thing?

tm1119

Reaction score
OP is 1) VASTLY overrating how many holes this team has, and 2) being incredibly short sighted and not looking at the bigger picture.

1. Provided we resign our major free agents....we need to improve our CB's, add a decent WR to take pressure off of Dez, and upgrade 1 tech who will still be a part time player. We could technically do all of that in free agency and as long as Romo stays we'd be the favorite to win the NFC East no problem. The overall team is not nearly as bad as it played without Romo.

2. OP is using premium draft picks to fill holes for a team that has an incredibly small window to win. The bigger picture is life after Romo and how to make that transition as easy as possible.

The Natural

Reaction score
I have no idea what you're criticizing here. What I said directly follows from what you said.

You said (a) we're not a good team and (b) we need to draft a guy in the first round who can start on day one, because (c) turnarounds can happen fast. That implies that you believe that by taking a day-one starter with our first pick (as opposed to a player who wouldn''t start his first year), the Cowboys can compete for a championship next season. Why else would you care about the day-one thing?
Being a better team/helping the team improve doesnt equal competing for a championship. Dont tell me what I'm implying or add your own words to mine when all you have to do is read scrappy.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
True.
You'll see a few older ones whose teams believe that they are at end of their career AND already have replacement in place. Check Kurt Warner, Carson Palmer, Brett Favre, Drew Bledsoe and Montana off top of my head.

Honest I cannot recall a young gun who was let go and have major success later. These kids usually have been given every opportunity to succeed and just couldn't do it.

RG III and Kapernick are band-aids.

It's the job of the GM to think both short and long term prospect of the team and the scouting department to give him ammunition. It's hard to argue against taking a potential franchise QB if you rate him that high. Certainly the opportunity cost of taking a QB now is that he will sit for 1-2 years but the potential reward is smooth transition of the franchise in the most important position on a football team.
Downside of taking a QB high in the 1st is that you miss the opportunity to pick another blue chip prospect who potentially can help you immediately and continue to have an illustrious career.

I ask myself this: Would I miss an "Aikman" more even if I have to wait a year vs having a "Deion" CB from the get go?

Personally I take an "Aikman" every time.

What you don't want to do is be so desperate that you reach for a "Quincy".

Very well stated!

ilykdrama

Reaction score
I am more convinced then ever that Dallas will not select a QB at no 4 and it is due to a myriad of reasons.

!. The most important is that every high profile QB looking for a place to land will look first at Dallas.
It is the premier spot to be in all of professional sports. The Cowboys QB position is the highest of all positions in professional sports. There is a reason RGIII has relatives showing up wearing Cowboys Jerseys with his name on it and there is a reason Manziel wants to be here.

You can pretend that these two are not potential answers and they are busts but both were highly rated QB's. One had demonstrated in his rookie year some incredible skills and the other has done as much as he can in the situation he is in. Both are every bit as much legitimate prospects as any rookie QB available in this draft. The big difference is if called upon next year to fill in for Romo they can actually win games.

2. If you take a QB at 4 you are passing on a tremendous prospect. Treadwell is potentially a Dez Bryant, Calvin Johnson, Amari Cooper type of talent. Jalen Ramsey and Hargreaves III both fill huge needs. Jack does as well. There are other elite prospects that they would have to pass on to take a QB that they hope some day is better than the options they passed on.((Manziel RGIII etc)

3. This is the highest draft position the team has seen in years and the team has a ton of holes. I will run through them. Back up QB, RB, CB, SS, OLB, MLB, WR2, CB again, RT if Chaz Green doesnt work out, OG if they lose Leary and Bernie, Backup C if they lose Bernie, You could even argue that they need 3 LB's if Mcclain is not resigned and Wilber is not resigned. Lee, Hitchens and Wilson does not make a LB core when you consider the facts that Lee misses games every year, Wilson is an unknown, and Hitchens looks like a backup at this point. DT we all know that a 1 tech has been needed for years. If Hardy and Mincy are not resigned then a DE becomes a need as well. That is a hell of a lot of needs. In short, this team needs to maximize resources which brings me to point no 4.

4. Jerry and Stephen love to trade back and acquire extra picks and now would be the time to do so since there are so many holes and they are sitting at the highest draft position they have been at sine the 1st year of Ownership.

I honestly believe anyone that thinks Goff or Lynch at 4 is going to be the selection are going to be disappointed. I also believe that in the end they may be glad that is not what happens.

Even though this team has holes they do have a solid foundation.

Couldn't agree more. This is what I say.

If your #4 QB can't match up with Brady, Manning, Luck, Romo, Big Ben, Rodgers, etc. DON'T pick them.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Being a better team/helping the team improve doesnt equal competing for a championship. Dont tell me what I'm implying or add your own words to mine when all you have to do is read scrappy.
Sorry, but I don't get it. Are you really saying that you would pick Guy A, who would start next year, over Guy B, who's a better long-term prospect but wouldn't start next year, even though we wouldn't be good enough to compete for a championship next year anyway? Because that doesn't make any sense to me.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
The owner doesn't appear to have the same boner Jones does for Manziel. Manziel blew off a team doctor appointment this weekend and the owner confirmed it.

You may be right about JJ liking Manziel more than Haslam likes him, but I read an article recently (Peter King, I think, but don't remember for sure) that discussed their owner being high on him and was responsible for trading up in the draft to get him. The article went on to say that if the coach and GM were fired (which has come to pass), then Haslam would ensure the new coach go forward with Manziel as the QB of the future. Don't know the validity of any of that, just passing on what I read from someone supposedly "in the know".

The Natural

Reaction score
Sorry, but I don't get it. Are you really saying that you would pick Guy A, who would start next year, over Guy B, who's a better long-term prospect but wouldn't start next year, even though we wouldn't be good enough to compete for a championship next year anyway? Because that doesn't make any sense to me.

So because they are a QB (Guy B) it automatically makes them a better long term prospect than another position (guy A)? The day 1 starter (Guy A) can't also be the better long term prospect? That doesn't make any sense to me. Seems like some of you just want a QB with the top 4 pick just to say you did it.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So because they are a QB (Guy B) it automatically makes them a better long term prospect than another position (guy A)? The day 1 starter (Guy A) can't also be the better long term prospect? That doesn't make any sense to me.
If he's the better long-term prospect, you take him, obviously, but not because he can start on day one. But you specified having to get a guy who starts on day one.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
So because they are a QB (Guy B) it automatically makes them a better long term prospect than another position (guy A)? The day 1 starter (Guy A) can't also be the better long term prospect? That doesn't make any sense to me. Seems like some of you just want a QB with the top 4 pick just to say you did it.

Not at all. QB tends to be the hardest position to find. if you have a chance at top rated passers in the draft and in a position to get one then it would be foolish to pass on a position that is so hard to fill.

cowboys1981

Reaction score
I hope it plays out like this.

Rd 1-
1. Tunsil
2. Goff
3. Ramsey
4. Bosa-Dal
7. Lynch

Rd 2-
1-Docston-Ten
2-Henry-Cle