Dallas will not select a QB at no 4.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
I am more convinced then ever that Dallas will not select a QB at no 4 and it is due to a myriad of reasons.

!. The most important is that every high profile QB looking for a place to land will look first at Dallas.
It is the premier spot to be in all of professional sports. The Cowboys QB position is the highest of all positions in professional sports. There is a reason RGIII has relatives showing up wearing Cowboys Jerseys with his name on it and there is a reason Manziel wants to be here.

You can pretend that these two are not potential answers and they are busts but both were highly rated QB's. One had demonstrated in his rookie year some incredible skills and the other has done as much as he can in the situation he is in. Both are every bit as much legitimate prospects as any rookie QB available in this draft. The big difference is if called upon next year to fill in for Romo they can actually win games.

2. If you take a QB at 4 you are passing on a tremendous prospect. Treadwell is potentially a Dez Bryant, Calvin Johnson, Amari Cooper type of talent. Jalen Ramsey and Hargreaves III both fill huge needs. Jack does as well. There are other elite prospects that they would have to pass on to take a QB that they hope some day is better than the options they passed on.((Manziel RGIII etc)

3. This is the highest draft position the team has seen in years and the team has a ton of holes. I will run through them. Back up QB, RB, CB, SS, OLB, MLB, WR2, CB again, RT if Chaz Green doesnt work out, OG if they lose Leary and Bernie, Backup C if they lose Bernie, You could even argue that they need 3 LB's if Mcclain is not resigned and Wilber is not resigned. Lee, Hitchens and Wilson does not make a LB core when you consider the facts that Lee misses games every year, Wilson is an unknown, and Hitchens looks like a backup at this point. DT we all know that a 1 tech has been needed for years. If Hardy and Mincy are not resigned then a DE becomes a need as well. That is a hell of a lot of needs. In short, this team needs to maximize resources which brings me to point no 4.

4. Jerry and Stephen love to trade back and acquire extra picks and now would be the time to do so since there are so many holes and they are sitting at the highest draft position they have been at sine the 1st year of Ownership.

I honestly believe anyone that thinks Goff or Lynch at 4 is going to be the selection are going to be disappointed. I also believe that in the end they may be glad that is not what happens.

Even though this team has holes they do have a solid foundation.

Weeden will be back to solve the QB issues.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Why watch the draft when someone at his couch knows what Jerry and company are doing with the 4th pick.

sureletsrace

Official CZ Homer
Reaction score
First of all in the most likely outcome, we will be picking the no 2 QB available in the draft. Second of all you can try to convince yourself that Golf is some kind of a can't miss prospect all you want but in a better year of QB prospects he would not even be a 1st rd prospect.

I happen to like him but he is not going to be the best prospect at no 4 even if he is available which I don't think he will be.

You can try to convince yourself that RG3 or Manziel are some kind of franchise caliber prospects, but the fact is, nobody is blowing up their respective teams phones trying to pry them away.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I am more convinced then ever that Dallas will not select a QB at no 4 and it is due to a myriad of reasons.

!. The most important is that every high profile QB looking for a place to land will look first at Dallas.
It is the premier spot to be in all of professional sports. The Cowboys QB position is the highest of all positions in professional sports. There is a reason RGIII has relatives showing up wearing Cowboys Jerseys with his name on it and there is a reason Manziel wants to be here.

You can pretend that these two are not potential answers and they are busts but both were highly rated QB's. One had demonstrated in his rookie year some incredible skills and the other has done as much as he can in the situation he is in. Both are every bit as much legitimate prospects as any rookie QB available in this draft. The big difference is if called upon next year to fill in for Romo they can actually win games.

2. If you take a QB at 4 you are passing on a tremendous prospect. Treadwell is potentially a Dez Bryant, Calvin Johnson, Amari Cooper type of talent. Jalen Ramsey and Hargreaves III both fill huge needs. Jack does as well. There are other elite prospects that they would have to pass on to take a QB that they hope some day is better than the options they passed on.((Manziel RGIII etc)

3. This is the highest draft position the team has seen in years and the team has a ton of holes. I will run through them. Back up QB, RB, CB, SS, OLB, MLB, WR2, CB again, RT if Chaz Green doesnt work out, OG if they lose Leary and Bernie, Backup C if they lose Bernie, You could even argue that they need 3 LB's if Mcclain is not resigned and Wilber is not resigned. Lee, Hitchens and Wilson does not make a LB core when you consider the facts that Lee misses games every year, Wilson is an unknown, and Hitchens looks like a backup at this point. DT we all know that a 1 tech has been needed for years. If Hardy and Mincy are not resigned then a DE becomes a need as well. That is a hell of a lot of needs. In short, this team needs to maximize resources which brings me to point no 4.

4. Jerry and Stephen love to trade back and acquire extra picks and now would be the time to do so since there are so many holes and they are sitting at the highest draft position they have been at sine the 1st year of Ownership.

I honestly believe anyone that thinks Goff or Lynch at 4 is going to be the selection are going to be disappointed. I also believe that in the end they may be glad that is not what happens.

Even though this team has holes they do have a solid foundation.

1. What the players want is immaterial and if the QB is the type to not honor the NFL process for selfish purposes then we wouldn't want him anyway. Retreads and a prayer is a poor plan for the position. Weeden was a top pick that washed out too.
2. QB is the toughest position to find talent in. I guess we have a different idea of what a prospect is but if Lynch is there then we should take him without reservation. Also with Nkenmdiche dropping there are only 2 prospects that rank with the QBs to begin with. You overrate Hargreaves tremendously.
3. The biggest hole was demonstrated when our 35 year old QB went down. The only place to fill that hole adequately for the future is at the top of the draft. Your mistake is thinking that we are so close that one draft makes us a sure thing. We don't have starters much less depth and one offseason is unlikely to vault us to the top of the league.
4. No they don't. Parcells got them to do it their first year and when Marinelli nixed FLoyd but overall the teams philosophy has been to trade up and acquire a targeted player after the Unger debacle.

It seems like you have a pet cat. Im guessing the Florida corner and are underrating the value of a high QB as well as how much this team needs a top flight QB prospect for now and in the future.

btcutter

Reaction score
Franchise QBs don't make it to free agency very often.

True.
You'll see a few older ones whose teams believe that they are at end of their career AND already have replacement in place. Check Kurt Warner, Carson Palmer, Brett Favre, Drew Bledsoe and Montana off top of my head.

Honest I cannot recall a young gun who was let go and have major success later. These kids usually have been given every opportunity to succeed and just couldn't do it.

RG III and Kapernick are band-aids.

It's the job of the GM to think both short and long term prospect of the team and the scouting department to give him ammunition. It's hard to argue against taking a potential franchise QB if you rate him that high. Certainly the opportunity cost of taking a QB now is that he will sit for 1-2 years but the potential reward is smooth transition of the franchise in the most important position on a football team.
Downside of taking a QB high in the 1st is that you miss the opportunity to pick another blue chip prospect who potentially can help you immediately and continue to have an illustrious career.

I ask myself this: Would I miss an "Aikman" more even if I have to wait a year vs having a "Deion" CB from the get go?

Personally I take an "Aikman" every time.

What you don't want to do is be so desperate that you reach for a "Quincy".

AzorAhai

Reaction score
1. What the players want is immaterial and if the QB is the type to not honor the NFL process for selfish purposes then we wouldn't want him anyway. Retreads and a prayer is a poor plan for the position. Weeden was a top pick that washed out too.
2. QB is the toughest position to find talent in. I guess we have a different idea of what a prospect is but if Lynch is there then we should take him without reservation. Also with Nkenmdiche dropping there are only 2 prospects that rank with the QBs to begin with. You overrate Hargreaves tremendously.
3. The biggest hole was demonstrated when our 35 year old QB went down. The only place to fill that hole adequately for the future is at the top of the draft. Your mistake is thinking that we are so close that one draft makes us a sure thing. We don't have starters much less depth and one offseason is unlikely to vault us to the top of the league.
4. No they don't. Parcells got them to do it their first year and when Marinelli nixed FLoyd but overall the teams philosophy has been to trade up and acquire a targeted player after the Unger debacle.

It seems like you have a pet cat. Im guessing the Florida corner and are underrating the value of a high QB as well as how much this team needs a top flight QB prospect for now and in the future.
No, his pet cat is a former aggie who's more likely to have a naked picture of himself doing a kegstand leaked than turning into a franchise QB. Thats what this whole thing is really about.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
So who will Romo's replacement be in 2-3 years? An early 1st round QB who spent 3 years developing or a late 1st round rookie who was thrown into the fire? But hey... gotta get those blue chip CBs!

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Forget using our only chance in the past 20 years to get the best QB in the draft. Let's trade a 7th for a conceited bust with bad knees or a midget with a coke problem.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Some people dont understand the value of the QB. Your nothing without one. We have been spoiled for the past 9 years. If they dont have a firm plan place we are looking at a decade worth of 5-11 n 6-10 football

RandyOh

Reaction score
This year is an interesting year for us. Of course seeing our team without Romo has seriously sent many fans into a panic over the position. Oh course I understand the panic, but I do wonder how many of the same fans that are screaming for Lynch or Goff would truly feel about them if Romo wasnt injured and we ended up with the 4th pick due to other reasons. Anyways this is going to be a long few months to see what we do with our 1st.

And for those saying that next year's QB class will suck so we must use our 1st on a QB no matter what is silly. Before the start of the college football season, practically no one talked about Lynch as a serious QB prospect. All the talk was about Goff, Cook, and Hackenberg. Memphis beats Ole Miss and the Lynch hype train just took off and continued to gain steam for the rest of the season. He came out of nowhere and stayed at the top draftniks boards till he laid an egg in his bowl game but he is still considered a top 5 pick and possibly the best QB prospect still. So a question to anyone who reads.

Is this year's QB class really as good as some are trying to make it seem if some raw no name QB can come out of nowhere and leap frog every QB in this year's class? Or has the fear of going through what we went through post Aikman again made up the minds of the ones screaming Lynch, Goff, or riot?

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Goff and Lynch might not be there at 4

Highly doubtful both will be gone, just look at the first three picks..........

Tennessee........the have Marcus Marriotta, so they are not taking a QB, most likely they are taking the OT from Ole Miss.
Browns..............might take a QB here.
Chargers...........they have Phillup Rivers, so they are not going to be taking a QB either.

The most likely scenario is that we get the leftovers between Goff and Lynch..........whoever Cleveland doesn't pick will be available for us.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
Forget using our only chance in the past 20 years to get the best QB in the draft. Let's trade a 7th for a conceited bust with bad knees or a midget with a coke problem.

I cringe at the thought that if this scenario were true, JF would be near his local part buddies for Dallas night life.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score

No I don't have a pet cat. as it says in my post I am all about filling needs.

"Also with Nkenmdiche dropping there are only 2 prospects that rank with the QBs to begin with"

Says who? Who has Lynch and Goff rated as the two top players?

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
True.
You'll see a few older ones whose teams believe that they are at end of their career AND already have replacement in place. Check Kurt Warner, Carson Palmer, Brett Favre, Drew Bledsoe and Montana off top of my head.

Honest I cannot recall a young gun who was let go and have major success later. These kids usually have been given every opportunity to succeed and just couldn't do it.

RG III and Kapernick are band-aids.

It's the job of the GM to think both short and long term prospect of the team and the scouting department to give him ammunition. It's hard to argue against taking a potential franchise QB if you rate him that high. Certainly the opportunity cost of taking a QB now is that he will sit for 1-2 years but the potential reward is smooth transition of the franchise in the most important position on a football team.
Downside of taking a QB high in the 1st is that you miss the opportunity to pick another blue chip prospect who potentially can help you immediately and continue to have an illustrious career.

I ask myself this: Would I miss an "Aikman" more even if I have to wait a year vs having a "Deion" CB from the get go?

Personally I take an "Aikman" every time.

What you don't want to do is be so desperate that you reach for a "Quincy".

"Honest I cannot recall a young gun who was let go and have major success later"

Carson Palmer might win the superbowl this year. He is playing on his third team. Their last good qb was one that they didn't draft either. The same go's with the Rams. Kurt Warner was a hell of a lot better than Sam Bradford. Bradford the vaunted 1st pick in the draft QB and Warner the arena league grocery packer.

"I ask myself this: Would I miss an "Aikman" more even if I have to wait a year vs having a "Deion" CB from the get go?

Personally I take an "Aikman" every time."

I would take Aikman too. The problem is he is not available in this draft.