Dallas's path to the playoffs much better than being presented

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
because the panthers only need to win more game to ensure a place in the playoffs, they do not need to play the starting team in the last game. and maybe will lose to and hungry falcons

Ugh. That's a great point. I hadn't even thought of that possibility. Does that game affect seeding or a home playoff game? Probably right?

Kevinicus

Reaction score
because the panthers only need to win more game to ensure a place in the playoffs, they do not need to play the starting team in the last game. and maybe will lose to and hungry falcons

The Panthers can still win the division. They won't be sitting anyone. If it turns out they can't win the division come week 17, that means they will have lost to the Bucs, in which case I am all for a Panthers loss to Atlanta.

links18

Reaction score
I don't get why it's so hard to see the Falcons losing two when they have the Saints and Panthers left? The Falcons aren't that good.

They are on a winning streak and are fighting for their playoff lives. Plus one of their games is against the Bucs. We'll see.

aikemirv

Reaction score
They are in a winning streak and are fighting for their playoff lives. Plus one of their games is against the Bucs. We'll see.

I am hoping for a collapse like we saw in the Super Bowl under pressure:muttley:

Kevinicus

Reaction score
They are on a winning streak and are fighting for their playoff lives. Plus one of their games is against the Bucs. We'll see.

A winning streak of one (that they probably should have lost)?

And two are against teams that are better than they are.

Reaction score
next week could be a trap for us. Seattle got completely annihilated, embarrassed and they may be out for some redemption. Glad Zeke is back, which should provide an huge physical and emotional jolt to us.
A trap game?

The Cowboys are fighting for their playoff lives, and it's a trap game?

That's like saying an NFC Championship Game is a trap game because a team is looking past it to the Super Bowl.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Detroit's cake schedule is not a myth... just the Bengals who have quit this season and then the Packers who are about to quit this season. There is no good reason for Aaron Rodgers to be playing week 17. With the Cowboys and Lions both finishing at 10-6, Detroit's tiebreaker over us is better win percentage of common opponents. Never mind how big of a win it would be to beat Philly in Philly... The Dallas path to the playoffs is not just as hard as being reported, it's next to impossible... but welcome to the NFL where the impossible is possible.
Just don't understand how "fans" give up so easily like this.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you need several things to happen and have limited opportunities for those things to happen and an opportunity for those to happen passed by without those things happening, then yes your chances just got much harder even if they could still happen.

Exactly.

marius

Reaction score
They will still be playing for Home Field advantage - they are not sitting anyone.

Yes, but the Rams and the Saints have a much better chance of winning their final games, because they have weak opponents, only Atlanta can give a hard game to the Saints

endersdragon

Reaction score
People realize that it wasn't that long ago that the Bengals nearly beat the #2 seed in the AFC Pittsburgh Steelers? Yea they got crushed two weeks in a row, but to say that they have totally given up is a bit of a myth I think. Heck, ESPN's matchup predictor is only giving Detroit a 56% chance of winning (and a 52% chance of beating the Packers). Not exactly impossible. Not to mention no one from Green Bay has said they are benching Rodgers.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Really, the schedule has been good to us:

• Week 13: Commanders are JAG
  • Week 14: Giants absolutely stink
  • Week 15: Oakland has been bad much of the year
  • Week 16: Seattle is a shell of themselves....just got mauled by 35 points
  • Week 17: Philly lost their QB and may be playing for nothing week 17

There's a real chance that Dallas does end up 10-6.

Will that be enough? Who knows.
NFC games are never easy.

dfense

Reaction score
Detroit's cake schedule is not a myth... just the Bengals who have quit this season and then the Packers who are about to quit this season. There is no good reason for Aaron Rodgers to be playing week 17. With the Cowboys and Lions both finishing at 10-6, Detroit's tiebreaker over us is better win percentage of common opponents. Never mind how big of a win it would be to beat Philly in Philly... The Dallas path to the playoffs is not just as hard as being reported, it's next to impossible... but welcome to the NFL where the impossible is possible.
You're saying even if Green Bay is out of it, and they have a chance to knock Detroit out the last week, they are going to sit Rodgers?

No way he misses that chance.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Just don't understand how "fans" give up so easily like this.
Give up? I haven't given up. I'm just playing up the drama for everyone's benefit. I like raising the anxiety level of all those who's faith in the Cowboys is teetering toward giving up. I'm glad you are not one of those, me neither. I love the "Cardiac Cowboys" and appreciate the exhilaration I get from wins like last night. Go Cowboys! :flagwave:

aikemirv

Reaction score
Yes, but the Rams and the Saints have a much better chance of winning their final games, because they have weak opponents, only Atlanta can give a hard game to the Saints

All of these playoff scenarios are going to come down to week 17 if Dallas wins next week and Atlanta loses 1 of the next 2.

If so, week 17 is going to be a blast. I think I will be going to the Sports bar to be able to watch all the games happen at the same time!

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Look around the sports world right now, and most people look at Dallas and have the team at somewhere between "a very long shot" and "never really had a chance, given the NFC outlook right now".

Balderdash. Last week, I outlined where Dallas stands primarily from a tiebreaker perspective, and it was still very wide open. You have likely heard that Dallas's playoff chances took a major hit this week; that claim is pretty much false (literally true, but in practical terms not really).

It isn't that Dallas's road to the playoffs got "harder", but rather that the team didn't have the breaks it needs to have happen unfold THIS week. In other words, it was possible for Dallas's playoff road to unfold nicely this past week (in fact, it almost could have been ready to go in a perfect world), but just as it is unlikely that Dallas's playoff competition will win out, it was also very unlikely that everyone was going to lose.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...the-playoffs-much-better-than-being-presented

This is aweek old s a little dated but we haven't lost yet!

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...the-playoffs-much-better-than-being-presented

The probabilities are low because the route for the Cowboys rests in contingent probabilities. You multiply those necessary events together and you're going to get a pretty small number (8% as of this writing).

The universe in which we are guaranteed to win our remaining two games probably has the Cowboys in the playoffs 50% of the time (just a estimate there but in that ballpark).

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I don't get why it's so hard to see the Falcons losing two when they have the Saints and Panthers left? The Falcons aren't that good.
The quitters have quit. You can't convince them other wise. Even if Dallas doesn't make it they are still quitters no matter how much they float.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
You're saying even if Green Bay is out of it, and they have a chance to knock Detroit out the last week, they are going to sit Rodgers?

No way he misses that chance.
He's not well. I don't believe they will risk his future with them to play spoiler to a divisional opponent.