Dalvin Cook to visit Cowboys

J-man

Reaction score
Well at least it means they're kicking the tires on any and all available RB's. So I'm ok with that.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Zeke leading Rico through the middle of the line composed of Tyler Smith, Zack Martin, and Cooper Beebe.

The Cowboys wouldn't do that all the time or even in every game. However, depending on the opponent, they could do that in the redzone or they could use it to protect a lead late in the 4th quarter.

Defenses today aren't built to stop a power running attack featuring a two-back formation. There would also be opportunistic passing plays that could take advantage of defenses built for speed and not size and strength.

To win in the NFL, a team has to look at the most popular offensive trends along with the types of defenses built to stop it. Then they build an offense that is the opposite of that trend and for which NFL defenses are not built to stop.

In the late 80's, early 90's, it was all about the 49er style sophisticated offensive gameplan with multiple dynamic scoring threats. The defenses needed quicker OLB's and DE, sacrificing size for speed.

Jimmy Johnson built a monster O-line with the toughest, hardnosed RB in the game and rammed him right up the defense's gut. Then the moment the safeties had to get closer to the line to defend the run, it was time for the Playmaker and his squad to run free.

There was no complex designer plays, it wasn't a game of chess. The opponent knew what the Cowboys were going to do. Sometimes the Cowboys told them. They still couldn't stop the Cowboys. It was pure brute strength and guys like Gogan, Allen, Newton, Tuinei and Williams were unapologetic bullies.

They set the west coast offense, Coryell offense and any other prolific passing style on pause for a decade.
Norv Turner was literally running the Coryell offense.

Creeper

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with bringing him in for a look. But based on his last two years I think he has slowed down quite a bit. They already have Zeke, I am not sure Cook is better than that. But it doesn't hurt to look.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
They don't have that kind of time.
200.webp

Sydla

Reaction score
I wouldn't expect much from him but I am OK with this. Throw as much against the wall and see what sticks. It's also not a ringing endorsement of Elliott if they are looking at bringing another scrap heap TB into the mix.

What's hilarious is that this again shows the stupidity of the Jones. It all goes back to Murray. They capped their offer to Murray and claimed they did so because their data showed RBs decline quickly, that investing in TBs doesn't work, etc. Two years later, in a panic move given the bad 2015 season, they use the 4th pick on a TB. A few years later they make that TB the highest paid TB in NFL history saying having that kind of running back is vital to the team's success.

And then a few years later, apparently we don't need a high quality TB, we are going to go back to pig slop and hope it works out. LOL. This really crystalizes how there is no plan in Dallas. There is no philosophy to how they team build.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I don't think Zeke can even run 19 yards anymore. Lol
You could have stopped there. Zeke had 2 30+ yard runs called back by penalties last season not to mention a 75 yard TD reception. I think he can go the distance just fine. The line just has to block (not hold) and he will be fine.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I’m wondering about that same thing.

I have yet to hear a good report about Zeke and from what I have heard, they even hide him during open practice.
If you haven't heard it's because you weren't listening. It was reported that during the first joint practice he had multiple house call runs.. Pretty much after seeing him rip the Rams defense a new one the coaching staff decided they had seen enough and decided to put him in bubble wrap until September 8th. They might just have been hiding him from prying eyes so they can cut him loose on the Browns.

chicago JK

Reaction score
I am fine with bringing him in. Let me say though the league is filled with guys who were good backs who lost a step and then tell us they are in the best shape ever in the offseason. Very rarely do they find that fountain of youth. Doesn't mean it never happens.

I think any interest in Cook is a replacement for Zeke or Dowdle. No need to add a older back who provides nothing in special teams.

Also, why didn't Zeke or Dowdle get now work in preaseson. It is not like either are special. Dowdle has 385 rushing yards in his career. Zeke is at the end of his career. Why not make them prove they deserve a spot on the team in the preseason games. If they get hurt, it is not like we have huge $ tied up in either.

HungryLion

Reaction score
You could have stopped there. Zeke had 2 30+ yard runs called back by penalties last season not to mention a 75 yard TD reception. I think he can go the distance just fine. The line just has to block (not hold) and he will be fine.

Gotcha. So Zeke can break long runs if the blockers are holding.

Thanks for clearing that up.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
If it is 3rd down and the Cowboys need 2 yards, Zeke will get 2 yards.

If it is 3rd down and the Cowboys need 4 yards, Zeke will get 2 yards.
Value Att Yds Y/A TD1DTgtRecYdsY/RTD1DCtch%Y/Tg
3rd & 1-325 1104.43181155.001100.0%5

If you are wondering what this is it's Zeke's statline on 3rd and short in his last season in Dallas.

I'll just leave this hear for you and the kee kees in the back. .

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
To me, he and Zeke would serve the same role.

I hope they see what happens on the cut wire before signing another aging vet RB.

HungryLion

Reaction score
There’s like an extra emphasis on reminding us he’s washed like it’s personal. We get it. I don’t know Im just sensitive when it comes to certain guys. People did it with Witten to. These are our legends but you know it is you don’t get respect unless you die or retire.

The extra emphasis is likely due to frustration with the FO more than anything.

The FO should have never even looked to re-sign Zeke. They are resigning him due to personal relationship period. Not because it’s the best option for the team.

It is personal with the FO to be honest. At least for me it is.

It’s nothing against Zeke.

Also, you may get that he is washed. But there are some posters here who are still trying to sell Zeke snake oil like signing him was a good idea.