News: Damar Hamlin Injury thread (Breathing Tube Removed!)

terra

Reaction score
It seems reasonable that they were able to get his heart restarted in time to prevent brain damage; I guess the real question is what damage was done to his heart.

plymkr

Reaction score

Ok good. Encouraging news. I desperately want to hear he's okay but as I look into it, it sounds like that information won't be known for a day or 2. So hearing this is encouraging. Still praying for him and thinking about it. Just got off work and was hoping to get news he recovered. But this step in the right direction is awesome. I'm going to keep praying and keep hoping.

Also maybe shoot some prayers up for Tee Higgins. That guy has to be feeling terrible even though intellectually he knows it's nothing he did, emotionally he may be a wreck. Just prayers all around I guess.

Thanks to everyone posting updates, I appreciate it.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
He was 24 years old and had a cardiac arrest on the field. Unusual to say the least.
actually it isnt, I just read a article posted here I think, about a athlete in Ireland who had a similar situation occur, he was gotten to the hospital
faster and he survived, but had to endure 2 years of not being able to do much, till he had heart surgery, after which he fully recovered.

I think being unprepared for this type of thing left the guy on the field too long, and he should have been rushed to a hospital.

Apparently athletes especially nfl or all football players should have their hearts checked thoroughly before playing.
you can appear and feel normal but your heart isnt, then boom something can occur and your heart malfunctions.

So damar may have had a faulty heart and not know it, or like explained in the other video got hit hard in the perfect spot at perfect time
creating a malfunction.
Best thing is to call ambulance immediately, and they can treat on way to hospital.

If someone just drops on the field, hopefully now they know it is going to be the heart or some sort of stroke, so dont waste time,
get them to hospital , and know what should be done on the way. And check the hearts out for any guy playing in nfl or college.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
actually it isnt, I just read a article posted here I think, about a athlete in Ireland who had a similar situation occur, he was gotten to the hospital
faster and he survived, but had to endure 2 years of not being able to do much, till he had heart surgery, after which he fully recovered.

I think being unprepared for this type of thing left the guy on the field too long, and he should have been rushed to a hospital.

Apparently athletes especially nfl or all football players should have their hearts checked thoroughly before playing.
you can appear and feel normal but your heart isnt, then boom something can occur and your heart malfunctions.

So damar may have had a faulty heart and not know it, or like explained in the other video got hit hard in the perfect spot at perfect time
creating a malfunction.
Best thing is to call ambulance immediately, and they can treat on way to hospital.

If someone just drops on the field, hopefully now they know it is going to be the heart or some sort of stroke, so dont waste time,
get them to hospital , and know what should be done on the way. And check the hearts out for any guy playing in nfl or college.

You could have made it twice as long and I still wouldn't have believed it.

CWR

Reaction score

creating a malfunction.

It's not wasting time. Short of a traumatic arrest or anything without an intact vascular system you stay and initiate resuscitation. After a few rounds of CPR, and once they have IV or IO access, as well as an airway established, that is the time to get moving. The timing for Damar looked to be fairly textbook and all the literature would support that.

The only thing is knowing where to transport when you don't know the underlying cause. If they were to presume its a heart attack or stroke, then they could at least transport to a comprehensive stroke center or somewhere with a cath lab.

Last edited:

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score

creating a malfunction.

They treated him on the spot there could have not been a better response to the situation

LovinItAll

Reaction score

creating a malfunction.

I wasn’t there and I’m not privy to the details that would impact the decisions made while they were treating Hamlin, but I have to think that they got him loaded up as quickly as they could. There may have been things they could do more efficiently on the field than in an ambulance….I just don’t know. They are trained professionals, though.

goshan

Reaction score

creating a malfunction.

Totally an uninformed and silly post. The goal is to get the heart restarted as quickly as possible, not spend time putting him in the ambulance and driving. They had the right equipment to do that there, on the field. Quick use of the AED is documented as the #1 factor in survival in this situation.

LovinItAll

Reaction score
Totally an uninformed and silly post. The goal is to get the heart restarted as quickly as possible, not spend time putting him in the ambulance and driving. They had the right equipment to do that there, on the field. Quick use of the AED is documented as the #1 factor in survival in this situation.

I’m not an expert, but the defibrillator is only effective correcting certain types of arrhythmias/heart failures and does nothing to ‘jump start’ other causes of cardiac arrest. I understand your post and the correct point you’re making, though. Whether Hamlin‘a condition benefited from the AED is something I’m sure we’ll find out, though.

If I’m laying there with a stropped heart, I hope an AED is handy and that they try to shock me into sinus rhythm with it wherever it’s indicated or not.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Yes that was my point and they said they were using cpr. Any ambulance will have
defib equipment and people trained to use them. I could not see what they were actually doing or if nfl has defib equipment on sidelines.