News: Damar Hamlin Injury thread (Breathing Tube Removed!)

JayFord

Reaction score
whoever the first responders were that did CPR and got him to the hospital did an AMAZING job last night

those are some true professionals you dont get much more high pressure situations than that and they did a 11/10 job

CWR

Reaction score
Or had an electrical malfunction.

I figure there are other ways to become ischemic in the heart, but every MI I've ever experienced involved a clot.

I'd be interested to know the numbers on MINOCA, and how rare it is.

It looked like a "vfib seizure" to me and it makes sense the arythmia was the result of an MI. I imagine he was shocked after charging, may have even had a weak pulse after the first round. My biggest concern would be how long it took them to place an airway. Most of the time the seal on a BVM is less than ideal.

Hats off to the medics who found themselves in the middle of that pressure cooker. Geez, I've been in some terrible situations, but never had an audience like that.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I figure there are other ways to become ischemic in the heart, but every MI I've ever experienced involved a clot.

It looked like a "vfib seizure" to me and it makes sense the arythmia was the result of an MI. I imagine he was shocked after charging, may have even had a weak pulse after the first round. My biggest concern would be how long it took them to place an airway. Most of the time the seal on a BVM is less than ideal.

Hats off to the medics who found themselves in the middle of that pressure cooker. Geez, I've been in some terrible situations, but never had an audience like that.
Spot on, bro. :thumbup:

Me being an ex-firefighter/paramedic who was on a fire rescue truck for 6+ years and experiencing first hand many "coded" incidents, you make very good points.

Wangchung83

Reaction score
Yep. The commercial machines will give a prompt as to whether or not a shock is advised. Although I've check off on this type of machine a dozen times I've never used one on a person. In a professional healthcare setting we're required to interpret rhythms and use a defibrillator accordingly. I've shocked dozens of people in this setting. A lot of the public thinks shocking a patient restarts a heart with no movement (defibrillation could be explained to the lay person as a heart that is "quivering" while not moving/pumping blood). I wanted to clarify this misinformation/misnomer.

But you are correct to point out early defibrillation is a life saver! I would also like to advise all that these machines are everywhere in public places such as malls and restaurants, and yes stadiums. I'm sure field medical staff has them on the sidelines. They are an absolute life saver. Please make sure your places of gatherings have them (worship centers, schools, halls, etc). This probably prolonged Mr Hamlin's life.
Can’t agree more on everything in this post. If your childrens schools, churchs, baseball fields, etc don’t have an AED be an advocate for investing in one. Don’t assume it’s there, have a conversation about it and the importance of having one. As stated the commercial ones are very easy to use and seem to pretty accurate on advice it generates(shockable vs no shock advised). The other important thing to take away from this is everyone should take the time to get certified in basic life support and learn how to provide high quality CPR. In the words of Coach V, it may not save my life, “It may not save my life, it may save my children's lives. It may save someone you love. And it's important.”

Creeper

Reaction score
He was 24 years old and had a cardiac arrest on the field. Unusual to say the least.

Believe it or not people 24 and under in the US suffer about 240,000 heart attacks per year (.03%). There are all kinds of reasons but it happens. It might be very rare in the NFL but it has happened before.

I am going to allow the doctors an opportunity to explain the situation when the time is right. I just hope this young man pulls through will no brain damage.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Can’t agree more on everything in this post. If your childrens schools, churchs, baseball fields, etc don’t have an AED be an advocate for investing in one. Don’t assume it’s there, have a conversation about it and the importance of having one. As stated the commercial ones are very easy to use and seem to pretty accurate on advice it generates(shockable vs no shock advised). The other important thing to take away from this is everyone should take the time to get certified in basic life support and learn how to provide high quality CPR. In the words of Coach V, it may not save my life, “It may not save my life, it may save my children's lives. It may save someone you love. And it's important.”
:thumbup:
:hammer::hammer:

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score

Same here. And I've never been able to get a pulse after nearly 10 minutes. Those guys with how many people watching? Straight Ninjas.

Creeper

Reaction score

I don't think this is uncommon for a heart attack victim and I don't think we can read too much into it. At this point he is getting the best care possible (and a lot of prayers) in a country with fantastic medical technology to treat many potentially fatal maladies. Hopefully he is resting comfortably while doctors continue to monitor his situation.

erod

Reaction score
This opens up so many scary questions for me beyond Hamlin's situation. It looked like a routine tackle. Could it have been just a one in a million angle that his chest got hit in a way that caused the heart to stop? Could there maybe be a new shoulder pad design that protects that area from sudden trauma better?

This was the most frightening thing I have ever seen in all my years watching football and now my mind is drifting towards finding ways to never allow it to happen to anyone else.
They already have that protection in the shoulder pads. This is really strange.

That hit occurs millions of times in high school, college and pro football every week.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
They already have that protection in the shoulder pads. This is really strange.

That hit occurs millions of times in high school, college and pro football every week.
I may be wrong and someone with more knowledge on it please feel free to correct me, with this commotio cordis, it has to be a hit that hits at a very specific time in the heartbeat. So the odds of getting hit in the specific place, at the specific time, with the amount of force required to cause this to happen, are very low.

terra

Reaction score
I may be wrong and someone with more knowledge on it please feel free to correct me, with this commotio cordis, it has to be a hit that hits at a very specific time in the heartbeat. So the odds of getting hit in the specific place, at the specific time, with the amount of force required to cause this to happen, are very low.
One of the talking heads on ESPN was saying that last night. It has to be just the right amount of pressure at just the right spot at just the right instant
The odds are incredibly low. Damar just threw snake eyes.

Kingofholland

Reaction score

That's my understanding too. Very, very rare.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
I would assume that we may not hear anything until tomorrow night when a full 48 hours have passed by. Though tight-lipped, I assume that today is tests, rest and likely seeing if proper lung function can happen independent of intubation.

JayFord

Reaction score
I would assume that we may not hear anything until tomorrow night when a full 48 hours have passed by. Though tight-lipped, I assume that today is tests, rest and likely seeing if proper lung function can happen independent of intubation.

the hospital said there would be no updates today and that hes in icu in critical condition still