News: Damar Hamlin Injury thread (Breathing Tube Removed!)

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Heard about fans boosting his charity with over $3M which is very cool. I hope players chip in with donations to he and his family for the care he might need including beyond football if he can't play anymore. Fans too if they want to contribute. First and foremost, just hope he gets better so his family doesn't have to worry.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
This opens up so many scary questions for me beyond Hamlin's situation. It looked like a routine tackle. Could it have been just a one in a million angle that his chest got hit in a way that caused the heart to stop? Could there maybe be a new shoulder pad design that protects that area from sudden trauma better?

This was the most frightening thing I have ever seen in all my years watching football and now my mind is drifting towards finding ways to never allow it to happen to anyone else.

One of the conditions being floated around as a cause is that the force of the hit happened at just the right time in the heart rhythm cycle to cause the heart to stop.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Posts straying from Damar Hamlin's situation will be auto-deleted. This includes quoted posts.

Please report any posts straying from Damar Hamlin's situation and do not quote other members who do so or your reply will be auto-deleted also.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Posts straying from Damar Hamlin's situation will be auto-deleted. This includes quoted posts.

Please report any posts straying from Damar Hamlin's situation and do not quote other members who do so or your reply will be auto-deleted also.

I like how you all run this forum. This is about the best moderation of all the sites I visit.

Thank you for your vigilance and diligence. :thumbup:

LittleLexodus

Reaction score
One of the conditions being floated around as a cause is that the force of the hit happened at just the right time in the heart rhythm cycle to cause the heart to stop.

Yes, I've heard the same. Commotio cordis has been mentioned which happens very rarely but is most common in young athletes who take a blunt hit to the chest region during sports

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commotio_cordis

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
The general rule of thumb is to use an AED as soon as it is ready while performing CPR in the meantime.

Yep. The commercial machines will give a prompt as to whether or not a shock is advised. Although I've check off on this type of machine a dozen times I've never used one on a person. In a professional healthcare setting we're required to interpret rhythms and use a defibrillator accordingly. I've shocked dozens of people in this setting. A lot of the public thinks shocking a patient restarts a heart with no movement (defibrillation could be explained to the lay person as a heart that is "quivering" while not moving/pumping blood). I wanted to clarify this misinformation/misnomer.

But you are correct to point out early defibrillation is a life saver! I would also like to advise all that these machines are everywhere in public places such as malls and restaurants, and yes stadiums. I'm sure field medical staff has them on the sidelines. They are an absolute life saver. Please make sure your places of gatherings have them (worship centers, schools, halls, etc). This probably prolonged Mr Hamlin's life.

Last edited:

CWR

Reaction score
it was cardiac arrest

All that means is his heart (cardiac) stopped (arrested.)

It doesn't address why, and I've always hated how the media reports that. Literally everyone that dies was in cardiac arrest.

If they are saying it's a heart attack, then he threw a clot.

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
That's good to hear, but the fact that we're going on 15.5 hours with no update on his condition is concerning

Not really. This could simply be the family's preference. Also HIPPA plays a part. Daily updates (once every 24hrs) are a norm for public figures. One is coming soon although it may not contain much info. None of us know what is happening in that healthcare setting so a public update may not be warranted. Family may be making the hardest of decisions. Prayers up !