News: Damar Hamlin Injury thread (Breathing Tube Removed!)

goshann

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commotio_cordis

Lots of people talking about this online. When I saw the replay, my first thought was that he took a shoulder right to his heart in a way that is very rare for football. Apparently this condition occurs if you hit the wrong area at exactly the wrong time. Since they got him really fast, hopefully he will be fine.
Yeah reading the same
Survival rate is 58 percent and always requires oxygen and cpr to have a chance to restart the heart

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commotio_cordis

Lots of people talking about this online. When I saw the replay, my first thought was that he took a shoulder right to his heart in a way that is very rare for football. Apparently this condition occurs if you hit the wrong area at exactly the wrong time. Since they got him really fast, hopefully he will be fine.
I posted a video about this earlier and several others have mentioned it as well.

mldardy

Reaction score
whats disturbing me the most is it was a regular play he got back up to go to the huddle and just collapsed

it reminded me TOO much of Hank Gathers which i try to NEVER think about
I always think of that when something like this happens. That image of him getting back up temporarily was just... man..:(

Bigrandrn

Reaction score

If they gave him quality CPR and shocked him out of v-fib…he can pull through. Hypothermia protocol in the icu for 24hrs to decrease brain swelling from the anoxia, possibly……I pulled a guy out a car once at my hospital entrance, got CPR started, we got him the er, went to my icu, did hypothermia protocol…..he walked out the hospital 1 month later without apparent neuro deficit…there’s hope. Hope he pulls through

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Yeah reading the same
Survival rate is 58 percent and always requires oxygen and cpr to have a chance to restart the heart

Survival rate is 100% if given CPR and defibrillation within a minute, drops to 80% if given within 2 minutes. We have no guarantee that is the actual injury but if it is the guy has the best chance of making it.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
This is absolutely wild.

Only things comparable I've seen to this is the soccer player in 2021, Dale Earnhardt's crash, and Owen Hart's death at Over the Edge 1999.

The show went on in each of those instances. Immense respect to the players, coaches, and eventually the NFL for showing an ounce of humanity this evening.

Skip Bayless deserves to be cancelled for his soulless commentary on Twitter this evening.

SoBlue128

Reaction score
Scary situation but so eye opening how things can change so quickly for any of us. I can’t imagine what his family friends and teammates are feeling right now. I hope and pray that the good Lord guides him through this and helps him to make a full recovery. May God Bless you Damar Hamlin!

Staubacher

Reaction score
I have a friend who has had a history of heart issues and is basically a ticking time bomb. Sometimes I forget that, he actually pissed me off by some of his actions yesterday and I was thinking of calling him to confront him tonight about it. Then this happened and it made me realize my little beef pales in comparison to the preciousness of life. Would I want my last conversation with him to be that?

Prayers up for young Mr Hamlin

CWR

Reaction score
CPR 9 mins not in controlled environment not good - did they get his pads off quickly? Administration of oxygen quickly?. Guessing he went v fib. Need defibrillation.

That's only a few rounds. I imagine pads went on immediately as they always should, especially for someone who was likely in a shockable rhythm. Oxygen should have been going from the beginning, at least with a bag valve mask. They probably struggled to get a seal and hopefully put in a blind airway quickly.

No it's NEVER "good," but in the realm of death its as quick of a response as anyone could hope for.

Clearly, they did their jobs well enough if he's pulsing now. Again, the underlying cause needs resolution.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I don’t want to speculate. We will find out a lot more as time goes on about the root cause.

I will share that my neighbor who was 16 at the time was playing high school football. However, his doctors found a heart condition (I don’t know it’s name) and he eventually was told by a cardiologist that he shouldn’t play football anymore because a wrong hit could cause cardiac arrest.

so he had to stop playing football. He was however still able to run track.

So we just don’t know. Unfortunately sometimes people have underlying conditions that aren’t diagnosed because they’re not symptomatic.