Dan Orlovsky’s description of Kellen Moore’s potential offense

Little Jr

Reaction score
I'll believe when I see it. The one thing I haven't heard that I want to hear is the route concepts will change. I've heard that it will be mostly the same plays but just dressed up different. That defiantly will help but the route concepts have to change. When Cooper gets pissed about a play call because it's the 3rd straight curl route he had to run in a row should tell you something. I'm pretty sure he was pissed because in his whole football career, including pee wee, he never had to run 3 in a row.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'll believe when I see it. The one thing I haven't heard that I want to hear is the route concepts will change. I've heard that it will be mostly the same plays but just dressed up different. That defiantly will help but the route concepts have to change. When Cooper gets pissed about a play call because it's the 3rd straight curl route he had to run in a row should tell you something. I'm pretty sure he was pissed because in his whole football career, including pee wee, he never had to run 3 in a row.
Or such a predictable game plan!

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah yeah..

Last summer it was going to be all these new route combinations and yady yada.

This story ends with us being in 2 TE sets and running it between the tackles over and over again.

The first time Kellen tries something out of the box and it fails Garrett will rage and that is the last we'll see of it.

I say we fire em all and just have the QB draw plays in the sand. Of course Jerry will have to take out the artificial turf and bring in some sand.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let's Go!!!! I want to see this new offense.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...t=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Dan Orlovsky’s description of Kellen Moore’s potential offense sounds like the exact opposite of Scott Linehan’s offense

Orlovsky isn’t coordinating an NFL offense these days, but he does lend his valuable insight to football fans everywhere thanks to his great Twitter account and appearances on ESPN. In fact, he recently made the rounds on the Mina Kimes Show and described what he thinks Moore’s offense could look like while discussing the merits of Dak Prescott and a new contract. It sounds awesome.

“I think it’s going to be an offense that is like Sean Payton married with Matt Nagy married with Mike Leach. Like they all had a baby and that’s what this offense is going to be.

This is going to be an offense that, it’s going to constantly move where Dak is throwing the ball from. And that’s kind of a catchphrase, “change the launch point”, but that matters. That matters when you have a guy that can move around and you have a really, really good running game. That’s a big part of your offense.

I also expect to see some really unique pre-snap motions and movements and shifts and trying to do things that are somewhat simple from an Xs and Os scheme standpoint, but always constantly changing the dress-up of it. I kind of analogize it to like, every guy in the world owns a navy suit. But the guys that wear it really well are constantly changing the shoes, and the socks, and the belt, and the pocket square where, if I stand next to the guy, we both have the same suit on but it looks totally different.

I just expect this offense to be constantly changing what it looks like before the snap. And then there’s going to be some college aspect to it, I promise you because Kellen’s background at Boise State. There will be some spread, four wide receiver, I would anticipate Dak being used as a runner more. I don’t know if it’s going to be an all-out thing, but third downs and redzone situationally stuff. That’s why there’s a lot of intrigue to it because what happens if Kellen Moore is really able to tap into who Dak is and all of his skills?”

I don't expect the changes to be as dramatic as Orlovsky thinks. I think we will see a lot more pre-snap movement, and there should be new wrinkles in the playbook, and hopefully less predictable play calling, but Orlovsky seems to think we are scrapping everything and starting from scratch. That's not likely.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
If this offense becomes all of what Dan Orlovsky describes in this thread, is should open the curtain for a new day in Dallas. Of course, it's one thing to depict one man's perception of Moore's intensions and yet another to make it become all of that in reality. Regardless, I'm intrigued by what's been described here and extremely excited as what my imagination pictures what I've been reading. I'll very likely be dancing a jig if it's true! :)

_sturt_

Reaction score

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...t=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Dan Orlovsky’s description of Kellen Moore’s potential offense sounds like the exact opposite of Scott Linehan’s offense

Orlovsky isn’t coordinating an NFL offense these days, but he does lend his valuable insight to football fans everywhere thanks to his great Twitter account and appearances on ESPN. In fact, he recently made the rounds on the Mina Kimes Show and described what he thinks Moore’s offense could look like while discussing the merits of Dak Prescott and a new contract. It sounds awesome.

“I think it’s going to be an offense that is like Sean Payton married with Matt Nagy married with Mike Leach. Like they all had a baby and that’s what this offense is going to be.

This is going to be an offense that, it’s going to constantly move where Dak is throwing the ball from. And that’s kind of a catchphrase, “change the launch point”, but that matters. That matters when you have a guy that can move around and you have a really, really good running game. That’s a big part of your offense.

I also expect to see some really unique pre-snap motions and movements and shifts and trying to do things that are somewhat simple from an Xs and Os scheme standpoint, but always constantly changing the dress-up of it. I kind of analogize it to like, every guy in the world owns a navy suit. But the guys that wear it really well are constantly changing the shoes, and the socks, and the belt, and the pocket square where, if I stand next to the guy, we both have the same suit on but it looks totally different.

I just expect this offense to be constantly changing what it looks like before the snap. And then there’s going to be some college aspect to it, I promise you because Kellen’s background at Boise State. There will be some spread, four wide receiver, I would anticipate Dak being used as a runner more. I don’t know if it’s going to be an all-out thing, but third downs and redzone situationally stuff. That’s why there’s a lot of intrigue to it because what happens if Kellen Moore is really able to tap into who Dak is and all of his skills?”

Not sure how one pretends that this guy actually has any serious insight into what a Kellen Moore offense would look like.... and that's if KM authentically and legitimately was on his own and running the whole shootin-match.... which he's not... and so, how much more then, does this sports talking head come off as just earning his paycheck pretending to know what a Garrett offense with KM as the offensive coordinator of an offense-by-committee approach is going to do.

It's unicorny stuff to talk about KM in this way, it really is.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Yeah yeah..

Last summer it was going to be all these new route combinations and yady yada.

This story ends with us being in 2 TE sets and running it between the tackles over and over again.

The first time Kellen tries something out of the box and it fails Garrett will rage and that is the last we'll see of it.
Haters gotta hate. It’s what they enjoy doing most.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And that’s the issue. Garret has never shown the propensity to change.

This is not exactly accurate. With Garrett the Cowboys started as a pass heavy team, then in 2014 made a serious commitment to the running game. Early with Garrett there were no empty backfields, no jet sweeps, no RB's splitting out wide and the QB was not used as a runner, and now those things are normal parts of the game plan. I'm sure there are some less obvious things that have changed as well.

sean10mm

Reaction score
This is not exactly accurate. With Garrett the Cowboys started as a pass heavy team, then in 2014 made a serious commitment to the running game. Early with Garrett there were no empty backfields, no jet sweeps, no RB's splitting out wide and the QB was not used as a runner, and now those things are normal parts of the game plan. I'm sure there are some less obvious things that have changed as well.

A bunch of Garrett's middle years the team had a trash OL and mediocre running backs like Tashard Choice getting meaningful snaps. He couldn't go run heavy back then if he wanted to.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A bunch of Garrett's middle years the team had a trash OL and mediocre running backs like Tashard Choice getting meaningful snaps. He couldn't go run heavy back then if he wanted to.

2014 wasn't Murray's first year with the team, but even so, the comment I responded to was that Garrett has never shown a willingness to change, and even if some of the changes go hand in hand with some personnel changes, they are still changes.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score

Wifey says expectations are preconceived disappointment. Thus I'm going with zero Mooreo expectations. Mooreo, I made that **** up!!!