Danica Patrick takes historic pole position for Daytona 500

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
burmafrd;5010447 said:
I have to laugh how you just cannot let go of the fact a girl is showing your boys she can do it to.

Do what, ride around and hope to finish rather than go for the win?

We've had ONE race. Lets see how the season goes before we declare her the next 5-Time.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
WPBCowboysFan;5010572 said:
Was she a top driver there?

You make it sound Michael Jordan leaving the NBA to play baseball.

No, you hear it like that. That's not what is being said. She was a draw and because of that, Cart/Indy did not really want to see here leave. That series is desperate for coverage and as such, they would have liked to have seen Patrick stay but she decided she wanted to move on. It is what it is.

I'm just saying, she has talent and if she can hang in there, she's going to do well.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
WPBCowboysFan;5010574 said:

We've had ONE race. Lets see how the season goes before we declare her the next 5-Time.

Only you are doing that in this thread.

I don't know why you are so caught up on Patrick but that's fine. It is the first race and there is a lot more racing to go. She is going to have good days and bad days and she will continue to learn. It is what it is.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
WPBCowboysFan;5010574 said:

No one is trying to declare her the next 5 time some of us our giving her credit for going out and performing well.

I have no idea how she will do on the season, there are a lot of good drivers and teams out there all shooting for a spot to go for the cup.

I don't think anyone with reasonable expectation thinks she will be sitting at the top of the cup standings, for her right now finishing races and getting some good finishes under her belt is a reasonable expectations.

I don't get this Ricky Bobby attitude of "If you ain't first, you're last!" Rookie drivers in NASCAR are just trying to get out there and learn and become better drivers so that they can have a chance in the future.

Diogenes

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;5010571 said:
It depends on the team. If you have a very experienced driver, the driver can have input, especially in NASCAR, but in the case of Patrick, I'd say (as I did in the original post) that I would guess the Crew Chief, Tony Gibson. More then likely, he would check the mileage on the tires, check things like fuel usage, check with the Pit Crew Chief and ask how the car is handling from Patrick. Then, he would likely make a decision. Teams are different because, as I said, some guys own their own cars and so they call the shots on that. Some teams have drivers that have skins on the wall and they make the call. In this case, neither of those are present so I would guess the Crew Chief would make the call.

Sometimes when Dale Earnhardt's crew chief would suggest a 2 tire stop, Dale would tell him he wasn't leaving his pit stall until he got 4 new tires.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Diogenes;5010602 said:
Sometimes when Dale Earnhardt's crew chief would suggest a 2 tire stop, Dale would tell him he wasn't leaving his pit stall until he got 4 new tires.

That happens when you are a 7 time Winston Cup Champion.

Questfor6

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;5010041 said:
It's interesting, I watched the race myself this weekend and I have a very good friend who was actually at the race this past weekend with a guy who used to run Busch National Cars some years back. He said two things that, at the time, I agreed with.

1. Was a mistake for Patrick to take on no new rubber in the last pit.

2. Drivers, throughout the race, took wind from the rear of her car.

Because she did not take on fresh rubber, she could not run in the corners. However, it was easy to see that she had enough car to run at the front because she would track the pack down in the straights. People were drafting with her but that's only because she would pull them along. It was not because they were trying to help her IMO. Every time she tried to move to the front, they would back off of her and she would lose the draft. She was afraid and she was right to be so. She new that if she tried to make a pass on the front runners, she would get freight trained. She absolutely would have and it showed. Number 1 is not her call really. That was a crew chief call IMO. They wanted to lead some laps and they did. I'm certain that they figured out that nobody was going to run with her towards the front and so, the crew chief (rightly so IMO) probably elected to make as many points as they could. The tires she had on the car weren't used up and so he probably elected to stay on the rubber they had and chance position gain on the pit stop. It didn't really help them but it didn't hurt them either.

At the end of the day, I don't really have a problem with what happened out there. She's new to the Series and you pay your dues. That means that people don't have to run with you and they didn't. Suck it up and run strong at the next race. In time, if you are able to run well, eventually people will run with you and you will have a chance to win that kind of race next time maybe. However, those of you who said she can't drive and all that other crap were dead wrong IMO. She has things to learn but she's got plenty of talent and she can drive.

Get used to it boys. Patrick, if she can stick it out, is going to be a top driver IMO.

Taking no tires had nothing to do with why she didn't win the race. The reason she didn't win the race was because her and Biffle were to afraid to move down in front of Junior when he made his run down the back. I applaud her effort this weekend because she shocked me but I'm still not a believer. She's gonna struggle mightily over the next 2 or 3 months because she has very little to no track time at any of the upcoming tracks in a Sprint Cup car.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
Many, many years ago I was a big NASCAR fan. Now I can barely stand it. The Great American Parade was embarrassing boring. It was like F1. No one passing except in the pits or when someone breaks down. They've chased away old school fans by pulling races from the Rockinghams of the world for the cookie cutters, moving the Southern... I wonder how many of the people who tuned in to watch their latest overhyped driver are going to become regulars after watching that snoozefest.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Questfor6;5011254 said:
Taking no tires had nothing to do with why she didn't win the race. The reason she didn't win the race was because her and Biffle were to afraid to move down in front of Junior when he made his run down the back. I applaud her effort this weekend because she shocked me but I'm still not a believer. She's gonna struggle mightily over the next 2 or 3 months because she has very little to no track time at any of the upcoming tracks in a Sprint Cup car.

Your wrong. She couldn't stay with the lead draft in the Corners for the last 50 laps. In the straights, she had enough car to catch back up to the draft. Those are not my words. Those are the words of a person who actually drove cars for a living. Now, everybody is entitled to their own opinions but I will say here and now that every time she tried to move up, she got left behind.

You can believe or not, doesn't really matter. At the end of the day, the only one that has to believe is her in herself.

burmafrd

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;5010580 said:
Only you are doing that in this thread.

I don't know why you are so caught up on Patrick but that's fine. It is the first race and there is a lot more racing to go. She is going to have good days and bad days and she will continue to learn. It is what it is.

I think the fact that a girl dares to challenge the boys really sticks in his craw

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;5011297 said:
Many, many years ago I was a big NASCAR fan. Now I can barely stand it. The Great American Parade was embarrassing boring. It was like F1. No one passing except in the pits or when someone breaks down. They've chased away old school fans by pulling races from the Rockinghams of the world for the cookie cutters, moving the Southern... I wonder how many of the people who tuned in to watch their latest overhyped driver are going to become regulars after watching that snoozefest.

You are correct.

And the sport has never recovered from the loss of Dale Earnhardt either.

Most of the new tracks suck. The racing really lacks good side by side, lead changing action.

There is a reason why there are a lot of empty seats at tracks now. The economy has been a factor, but also the cost for attending races just isnt worth it for the product.

I had 2 seats for speedweeks in the best seating area and the cost was $1300 for 2 seats for 4 days of racing. Add in parking for the 4 days - $30-$50 a day, food, fuel, lodging, etc and it just isnt worth it for the kind of racing now.

I had 4 seats, best seating area at $250 each for the July Daytona races and let those go as well. My brother-n-law had the 4 seats next to us. We had 8 seats together. We would take the families. All the same expenses.

Its still fun to go, but its not the same as it used to be when the racing was better - and it costs more. Just a bad combo.

NASCAR is trying to appeal to the masses and be a bee bop top 40 kinda sport. In the long term they have hurt themselves and will continue to do so unless some changes are made. #1 change is to improve the quality of racing.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
burmafrd;5012406 said:
I think the fact that a girl dares to challenge the boys really sticks in his craw

As usual you have no clue. And as usual your posts indicate that you are living in your own fantasy world devoid of any reality.

Congrats, you are poster #2 to make my ignore list.

jimmy40

Reaction score
WPBCowboysFan;5012736 said:
You are correct.

And the sport has never recovered from the loss of Dale Earnhardt either.

Most of the new tracks suck. The racing really lacks good side by side, lead changing action.

There is a reason why there are a lot of empty seats at tracks now. The economy has been a factor, but also the cost for attending races just isnt worth it for the product.

I had 2 seats for speedweeks in the best seating area and the cost was $1300 for 2 seats for 4 days of racing. Add in parking for the 4 days - $30-$50 a day, food, fuel, lodging, etc and it just isnt worth it for the kind of racing now.

I had 4 seats, best seating area at $250 each for the July Daytona races and let those go as well. My brother-n-law had the 4 seats next to us. We had 8 seats together. We would take the families. All the same expenses.

Its still fun to go, but its not the same as it used to be when the racing was better - and it costs more. Just a bad combo.

NASCAR is trying to appeal to the masses and be a bee bop top 40 kinda sport. In the long term they have hurt themselves and will continue to do so unless some changes are made. #1 change is to improve the quality of racing.
but how do they improve the quality of racing?

jimmy40

Reaction score
Danica not so good qualifying at Pheonix, hopefully she doesn't wreck any good drivers Sunday.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
jimmy40;5012757 said:
but how do they improve the quality of racing?

In all seriousness, that is a good question.

All these new cookie cutter tracks appear to be some of the problem I would think. The cars are too spread out so it tends to be like an Indy Car race.

What made NASCAR so good was the side by side racing lap after lap. Much of that is gone.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
jimmy40;5012777 said:
Danica not so good qualifying at Pheonix, hopefully she doesn't wreck any good drivers Sunday.

Are you saying that starting 40th amongst the boys isnt very impressive?

Somehow, in some amazing fashion her teammates (boys) both qualified in the top 10.

Maybe Super Danica just didnt have a good car for this race. Must be the shop's fault. Or the team's fault. Maybe the dessert head winds were blowing against her when she ran her time.

jimmy40

Reaction score
WPBCowboysFan;5012884 said:
Are you saying that starting 40th amongst the boys isnt very impressive?
I'm thinking it kind of sucks.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
jimmy40;5013746 said:
I'm thinking it kind of sucks.

Ha Ha,

Well, Super Danica was having a spectacular day, driving an amazing race until that right front blew . . . . . . . . :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2:

jimmy40

Reaction score
She's so small whenever I see her walking with her helmet on I can't help but think of this
dh.jpg