Daniel Jeremiah Mock 1.0 - Wentz at 4

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
If Wentz is there in the 2nd round and the team liked what they saw at workouts Dallas will grab him... NOT at 4th overall though!

dallasdave

Reaction score
Tapping the brakes with all this Wentz talk.

The guy played 1 year and half as a starter in the FCS ~ the quality of the defenses he confronted is substantial lower than the other QB's who competed at the FBS level.
His ability to read defenses, adjust to the blitz schemes, check out & audible at the line of scrimmage, etc. should be highly scrutinized since the quality of competition he encountered was in my opinion, deficient.

It is not so much if he possessed all-star talent on the offensive side of the ball.
Even if he had all-star FBS WR's RB's, etc., the nature/speed/complexity of the FCS defenses is inferior to FBS schools - especially projecting him as a starter in the NFL.

At least Tony Romo & Steve McNair were all-star award winners at the FCS level, with both winning the Walter Payton Award.
Even Jimmy Garoppolo won that award was drafted at the end of the 2nd round.

Some serious overvaluation of his stock.

:clap::clap::clap:

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Gonna isn't going to take off on 20 yard runs, but he has better pocket awareness than either Lynch or Wentz. In fact, one of his knocks has been that he has had 'happy feet' due to taking some big hits.

As an aside, since 2012, we have ranked 11th, 1st, 25th and 13th in passes 20+ yards down field. In passes 40+ yards downfield we ranked 11th, 20th, 3rd and 17th. This team is kind of all over the map in that regard, just like they are in every stat under Garrett.

Sorry about the typo btw. No clue how that happened.

RoboQB

Reaction score
I don't think Wentz will last to the latter 1st round. If he shows out in the senior bowl and combine (is he participating), I can definitely see mid 1st rounder. Him lasting to the 2nd round is about dead. I like no QB after Wentz, Goff, and Lynch.

Take a look at Cody Kessler, USC...a better prospect to sit and learn... plus you don't need to spend a 4th overall pick to get him.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I don't get why you guys are so caught up on his competition when his talent absolutely jumps off the screen.

Forget his competition.

6'6 QBs that are mobile, can run, accurate, and have big arms don't come around very often.

You make the pick and you let a beast of a talent sit behind Romo and learn from him for 2 or 3 years.

I do think you're a bit to quick to dismiss the level of competition. It's relevant, but not to the point where he couldn't even be the first QB taken by out performing Goff and Lynch between now, the senior bowl, the combine and their pro days. The problem with dismissing it, is there are certain things that some guys never learn, no matter how long they sit. Any QB prospect will struggle with the speed of the game, having to make decisions faster, getting their release quicker so NFL DBs can't jump their passes, picking up a far more complex offense, ect and Wentz has the biggest learning curve among the three QBs.

But I'll say this, all three QBs have the ability to be NFL caliber QBs, it's really going to come down to a bunch of factors that we will be oblivious to.

RoboQB

Reaction score
noodle arm Qb,not draftable.

He can throw it fine at 20 yards or so... 70% completion rate... 3 year starter... doesn't turn it over... and he can be had in the 4-5th round....
Someone will draft him...... didn't a noodle armed QB throw for 433 yards week17?.... I'm not excited about any QB in this draft.. no Elway or Marino there.... just hate the idea of missing a chance to improve fast at another position.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
No expert but I am not a fan of this "years" wonder boy when it comes to drafting. Very rarely do you see it be a hit. Looking at projected top picks at the start of last season only four names jump out as "projected" top picks. Like I said I am no expert but stay with the results not just from this past year but from more than one year combined. Goff, Elliott, Bosa, and Treadwell. I want no part of one year wonders like Lynch or this guy. Heck even the RB from Utah has positive results from more than one year. If you draft a consistent player from college more than likely will he have a successful NFL career.

starfrombirth

Reaction score
Because people that are "overevaluating" him are looking at what he is physically capable of.

Physically he checks every box. Maybe his competitors didn't but he does.

The same questions I have about him coming into the league I would have about any QB.

If it's physical tools they are looking at then they should be drooling over Paxton Lynch. He has Aaron Rodgers type arm strength.... just saying :D

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I do think you're a bit to quick to dismiss the level of competition. It's relevant, but not to the point where he couldn't even be the first QB taken by out performing Goff and Lynch between now, the senior bowl, the combine and their pro days. The problem with dismissing it, is there are certain things that some guys never learn, no matter how long they sit. Any QB prospect will struggle with the speed of the game, having to make decisions faster, getting their release quicker so NFL DBs can't jump their passes, picking up a far more complex offense, ect and Wentz has the biggest learning curve among the three QBs.

But I'll say this, all three QBs have the ability to be NFL caliber QBs, it's really going to come down to a bunch of factors that we will be oblivious to.

Maybe he does.. You mentioned the release. He's already got a very quick release.

So questioning how the speed of the game will effect him is the same question I have about all of these QB's.

I really like the fact that he played under center as well and didn't have 4 or 5 options to throw to out of the gun every play.

BTW, Lynch... Im just not big fan. I see why people like him but imo he has a slow release and just isn't really going to be a big playmaker from the QB position. He's a Joe Flacco type QB that's going to be trying to win games 13-10 every week.

Wentz has the flair and playmaking ability that I want for this team.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
BTW,

I think I like Noah Spence more than Bosa. A little early but Spence looks like the real deal as a pass rush guy.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
If Wentz is there in the 2nd round and the team liked what they saw at workouts Dallas will grab him... NOT at 4th overall though!

This reminds me of the state of denial people were in a few years ago with Aaron Donald prior to the Senior Bowl.

Oh, no, he will never go that high. We should try to trade down and get more picks, thinking first he would be there and second we were actually that sly to be a team capable of trading down for this hidden talent that nobody else would seem to want.

Then he dominates at the Senior Bowl and people still were denying he would be a top choice.

Then people were shocked when the Rams took him.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
This reminds me of the state of denial people were in a few years ago with Aaron Donald prior to the Senior Bowl.

Oh, no, he will never go that high. We should try to trade down and get more picks, thinking first he would be there and second we were actually that sly to be a team capable of trading down for this hidden talent that nobody else would seem to want.

Then he dominates at the Senior Bowl and people still were denying he would be a top choice.

Then people were shocked when the Rams took him.

So your saying he is on par with Donald talent wise at his respective position?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
He can throw it fine at 20 yards or so... 70% completion rate... 3 year starter... doesn't turn it over... and he can be had in the 4-5th round....
Someone will draft him...... didn't a noodle armed QB throw for 433 yards week17?.... I'm not excited about any QB in this draft.. no Elway or Marino there.... just hate the idea of missing a chance to improve fast at another position.

He is like Kellen Moore to me. Might be alright to stick around for a few years and be good enough to function but definitely a stretch to "develop" into a starter.

Moore would have games where he would tear it up for 400 yards too.