DanTheMan 2015 Draft Film Review

reddyuta

Reaction score
a pssh rusher with bad hips will not go in the first rd,i would hesitate to even consider in the 2nd .

tm1119

Reaction score
a pssh rusher with bad hips will not go in the first rd,i would hesitate to even consider in the 2nd .

Bad hips as in you don't think he will be medically cleared? Or you wouldn't pick him in the second because he's not a speed rusher?

reddyuta

Reaction score
Bad hips as in you don't think he will be medically cleared? Or you wouldn't pick him in the second because he's not a speed rusher?

no,i think he can play but i will extremely wary of picking him because i wont trust him to stay healthy.I am not a doctor but i dot want to take that big risks in the top 2 RDs.

tm1119

Reaction score
no,i think he can play but i will extremely wary of picking him because i wont trust him to stay healthy.I am not a doctor but i dot want to take that big risks in the top 2 RDs.

I mean he did play the full season after the surgery so I'm not sure how big of a concern it is. Not like it seemed to be a nagging injury or anything. Obviously the doctor's should be looking over everything twice to make sure, but unless they have concerns I don't see an issue.

dantheman41

Reaction score
Zach Hodges (Edge Rusher) Harvard

Positives:
Nice inside move. Does nice job getting around the edge.

Negatives:
Couldn't dominate playing against Holy Cross or Lafayette. Not ideal size for an end. Not overly explosive. Difficult time wrapping up. Total non factor in run game getting completely mauled at times.

Comparison and Where He Fits on Our Team:
To me he's a 3-4 OLB. Not sure what people see in him. Not a great football player. Rarely saw him do anything against inferior competition. Worst prospect I have watched by far.

dantheman41

Reaction score
Markus Golden (Edge Rusher) Missouri

Positives:
Built really stout. Very powerful especially in lower body. Relentless motor. Really good player against run and setting the edge. Takes on a lot of double teams and fights through them.

Negatives:
Not a RE. Does not possess elite athleticism. Do not see as a double digit sack guy. Decent pass rusher, not great. Does not possess great height or length.

Comparison and Where He Fits on Our Team:
An ideal LE. Cannot see him playing in a 3-4 as an outside linebacker in coverage. Really good football player but not sure I want another LE on this team.

tm1119

Reaction score
Markus Golden (Edge Rusher) Missouri

Positives:
Built really stout. Very powerful especially in lower body. Relentless motor. Really good player against run and setting the edge. Takes on a lot of double teams and fights through them.
Negatives: Not a RE. Does not possess elite athleticism. Do not see as a double digit sack guy. Decent pass rusher, not great. Does not possess great height or length.
Comparison and Where He Fits on Our Team: An ideal LE. Cannot see him playing in a 3-4 as an outside linebacker in coverage. Really good football player but not sure I want another LE on this team.

Not even arguing about the Golden evaluation because he definitely isn't a quick twitch RE....but who are these LE's on the roster that can't be upgraded or added to?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I think an MRI will be a good indicator of the condition of his hip. He did play a full season since the surgery, didn't he?

I agree that that I would stay away from players if the team is not convinced that they are completely healthy or if they have a significant history of multiple injuries.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Zach Hodges (Edge Rusher) Harvard

Positives:
Nice inside move. Does nice job getting around the edge.
Negatives: Couldn't dominate playing against Holy Cross or Lafayette. Not ideal size for an end. Not overly explosive. Difficult time wrapping up. Total non factor in run game getting completely mauled at times.
Comparison and Where He Fits on Our Team: To me he's a 3-4 OLB. Not sure what people see in him. Not a great football player. Rarely saw him do anything against inferior competition. Worst prospect I have watched by far.

I have a hard time getting a good read on Hodges. They seem to have him playing a read and react style where he rarely just goes all out pass rush right off the snap. He's definitely raw as a football player but I saw a couple of flashes to make me think he might have more physical ability than it appears.

He would have to get much bigger to play DE.. Based on measurable(s) he does have a big frame with an 82" wingspan and near 34 inch arms. That's a bigger wingspan than many OLinemen.

I also wonder about him as a developmental 4-3 LB or 3-4 ILB type.

Obviously he a late round type of player.

dantheman41

Reaction score
I have a hard time getting a good read on Hodges. They seem to have him playing a read and react style where he rarely just goes all out pass rush right off the snap. He's definitely raw as a football player but I saw a couple of flashes to make me think he might have more physical ability than it appears.

He would have to get much bigger to play DE.. Based on measurable(s) he does have a big frame with an 82" wingspan and near 34 inch arms. That's a bigger wingspan than many OLinemen.

I also wonder about him as a developmental 4-3 LB or 3-4 ILB type.

Obviously he a late round type of player.

As late round player thats fine. But as 3rd round or 4th round pick, I hate it

dantheman41

Reaction score
Not even arguing about the Golden evaluation because he definitely isn't a quick twitch RE....but who are these LE's on the roster that can't be upgraded or added to?

Well IMO Lawrence, Mincey, and Gardner are better LE's then right. I want a starting RE that is quick twitch. None of those guys are elite fast twitch athletic rush ends.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well IMO Lawrence, Mincey, and Gardner are better LE's then right. I want a starting RE that is quick twitch. None of those guys are elite fast twitch athletic rush ends.

That would be my preference also; although, I'm not opposed to adding a LDE type. I like somebody like Za'Darius Smith in the mid rounds.

I'm actually hoping that they add a starting RDE in free agency.

dantheman41

Reaction score
That would be my preference also; although, I'm not opposed to adding a LDE type. I like somebody like Za'Darius Smith in the mid rounds.

I'm actually hoping that they add a starting RDE in free agency.

I'm going to hopefully get to him tonight. Do you see any potential RE's in free agency? Graham is more of a LE.

tm1119

Reaction score

Well I sure hope we didn't use a 2nd and 3rd round pick on a LE last year...although I don't disagree that Lawrence has never shown an elite get off.

Mincey will most likely continue to be used as a key reserve on both sides.

And while I was damn near president of the Ben Gardner fan club during last year's draft process, but he's far from guaranteed to even make the roster. It may have been on this site, but I think I read he's actually bulking up to play a Crawford 3 tech type of role as well?

So I think there is plenty of room to add talent/depth there. In my ideal world our DE's next year would be Lawrence, Mincey, Free agent pass rusher(Graham/Sheard), rookie picked somewhere in the top 3 rounds...+ maybe a Gardner/Boatright if Rod wants 5

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm going to hopefully get to him tonight. Do you see any potential RE's in free agency? Graham is more of a LE.

You don't think Graham is a quick twitch type player?

He looked fairly quick twitch in college. I'll take a look at him from this season.

I think Hardy can play anywhere.

JPP is RDE but too expensive.

Hughes is RDE but maybe too expensive

Sheard has some RDE traits.

dantheman41

Reaction score
You don't think Graham is a quick twitch type player?

He looked fairly quick twitch in college. I'll take a look at him from this season.

I think Hardy can play anywhere.

JPP is RDE but too expensive.

Hughes is RDE but maybe too expensive

Sheard has some RDE traits.

Be shocked if we signed Hardy. Not exactly the right kind of guy. I think Graham is most explosive of our ends, but he's big. Eagles usually rushed him at LOLB.

dantheman41

Reaction score
Well I sure hope we didn't use a 2nd and 3rd round pick on a LE last year...although I don't disagree that Lawrence has never shown an elite get off.

Mincey will most likely continue to be used as a key reserve on both sides.

And while I was damn near president of the Ben Gardner fan club during last year's draft process, but he's far from guaranteed to even make the roster. It may have been on this site, but I think I read he's actually bulking up to play a Crawford 3 tech type of role as well?

So I think there is plenty of room to add talent/depth there. In my ideal world our DE's next year would be Lawrence, Mincey, Free agent pass rusher(Graham/Sheard), rookie picked somewhere in the top 3 rounds...+ maybe a Gardner/Boatright if Rod wants 5

Yeah I agree. I've never been a big Lawrence guy. I watched so many of his games over and over again at Boise State, and I just didn't see it. Even this year. The one positive is he's strong, and he is really violent with his long arms. I don't ever see as a 10+ sack type of guy, thats why I rather see him at LE. I think he has the power and point of attack to play that side well.

tm1119

Reaction score
Yeah I agree. I've never been a big Lawrence guy. I watched so many of his games over and over again at Boise State, and I just didn't see it. Even this year. The one positive is he's strong, and he is really violent with his long arms. I don't ever see as a 10+ sack type of guy, thats why I rather see him at LE. I think he has the power and point of attack to play that side well.

I just think your expectations might be a little too high though...unless we have a top 10 pick or want to spend $10+M on a free agent I don't see where the super fast RE is coming from. Don't get me wrong, I'd love for us to have a Shane Ray type, but I just don't see a way it's happening in the near future. Rod is going to have to figure it with guys like Lawrence and mid tier FA's like a Brandon Graham.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Not all good pass rushers are speed freaks. Terrell Suggs 4.84 forty and Elvis Dummerville 4.75 forty.

Suggs is the player that Lawrence reminds me of.