Darius Jackson Available

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
You kind of have to be active to show if you play STs or not. Way to early to know from his rookie year. And I believe the issue is STs coverage, not necessarily return ability. Unlikely Thomas will ever be used at either. Doesn't have the size for coverage nor speed for kickoffs. And Switzer is the punt returner.
Again, DJ has played ZERO special teams in college or actual NFL games. He is not a consideration there.
Special teams coverage players are generally quick and fast, not big. The gunner guys like 5'11" 185 pound Kenny Gant or 5'9" 185 pound Steve Tasker.

Jahad Thomas FAR FAR FAR better fit the profile of a Special Teams player than DJ and it isn't even close.
Thomas returned 46 kicks at Temple for over 1000 yards( also8 punts for 101 yards) and also made 7 special teams tackles.

He weighed 190 at the combine.

Sources Tell Us
"He's a player who fits very specific needs so it's hard to tell where he might go. If you want a player who can return kicks, catch some passes and be a third or fourth running back, he gives that. I think he's tough enough to play. He'll get drafted based on his roster flexibility more than anything." -- Area scout for NFC East team

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Again, DJ has played ZERO special teams in college or actual NFL games. He is not a consideration there.
Special teams coverage players are generally quick and fast, not big. The gunner guys like 5'11" 185 pound Kenny Gant or 5'9" 185 pound Steve Tasker.

Jahad Thomas FAR FAR FAR better fit the profile of a Special Teams player than DJ and it isn't even close.
Thomas returned 46 kicks at Temple for over 1000 yards( also8 punts for 101 yards) and also made 7 special teams tackles.

He weighed 190 at the combine.

Sources Tell Us
"He's a player who fits very specific needs so it's hard to tell where he might go. If you want a player who can return kicks, catch some passes and be a third or fourth running back, he gives that. I think he's tough enough to play. He'll get drafted based on his roster flexibility more than anything." -- Area scout for NFC East team

Jackson is 6-0, 220.

Special Teams coaches love LBs, Safeties and FBs on the coverage units. Jackson's size is that of a big Safety or small LB.

The Steve Tasker types might get a lot of the attention, but they don't fill the coverage units with 11 guys like that.

NFL.com has Kenny Gant at 5-11, 215.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Jackson is 6-0, 220.

Special Teams coaches love LBs, Safeties and FBs on the coverage units. Jackson's size is that of a big Safety or small LB.

The Steve Tasker types might get a lot of the attention, but they don't fill the coverage units with 11 guys like that.

NFL.com has Kenny Gant at 5-11, 215.
Gant weighed 185 when he entered the league.
NFL.com is notoriously bad for weights as they don't check any of them.

I know you think this makes sense but it just doesn't. Guy has never been a special teamer and had a year of regular roster time in the NFL without doing so.
Instead he was carried and made inactive while guys who SOLELY play ST played.
This is one of the dumber ideas anyone has ever tried to sell.

I am 6' and 210. I am not a better special teamer than Jahad Thomas.
The Cowboys have back up LBs and Safeties galore.
They do not need to replace spare parts special teams guy.
They need gunners/returners.
Switzer likely gets punts. That leaves Kick returns and gunner duties.
Jahad has a chance to win a role there and as a 3rd down/nickel back.
A far larger chance than DJ who won't even be here and may not be playing at all if he is still injured.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
We need to find a 3rd RB who can play special teams well, and I'm not talking about being a returner. That 3rd RB becomes a lot easier to digest for a team keeping on the active roster if he becomes a core guy in that area. It's easier said than done though. A lot of these backup quality NFL RBs were stars in college and didn't play on ST.

This is one of the primary reasons I think Rod Smith will be the third RB.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is the only reason we would keep Morris.
It's a bit of a weird situation.

If McFadden or Zeke were out, you would prefer Morris over a UDFA RB; however, as long as Zeke and McFadden are 100% you would most likely prefer the UDFA to Morris (Special Teams, developing for the future, etc..).

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
It's a bit of a weird situation.

If McFadden or Zeke were out, you would prefer Morris over a UDFA RB; however, as long as Zeke and McFadden are 100% you would most likely prefer the UDFA to Morris (Special Teams, developing for the future, etc..).

Frankly, that's why I think it will be Rod Smith. Smith isn't anything special as a runner and probably not even on the level of what Morris is now, but Dallas knows he can line up as the tailback on all three downs and plow into the line for some yards as well as catch passes. (We used him some at tailback in the Houston preseason game and he averaged 6 yards on 7 carries; he also had two attempts for 3 YPC against LA.) The team also knows he can play special teams well. He's also a fullback option if something happens to Keith Smith.

He has the versatility this team loves even if he's not that good of a tailback, and I think the Cowboys trust him enough to keep him as that third option.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
He's actually been proven right up til now.
He may be wrong long-term but up til now, he is correct.
DJ has never been active for an NFL game. He was released here as soon as McFadden was healthy and we currently have the 3 RBs ahead of DJ on the Cowboys roster last year, still on this one.
If Dallas wanted to cut Morris for DJ they could have done so last year. They chose not to. They'd have added him on the practice squad though.

He said he was PS material. That was not true last year, what happens this season has yet to be written. But when healthy, Jackson has been on some team's roster his entire career thus far. He's never been on any PS.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Resurrected this thread only to mention that while I'm not sure the coaches in the end were nearly as enthusiastic about Jackson as Broaddus was (so I'm not inclined to think it's something that has been or will be pursued), if we were to get Jackson back (haven't checked to see if he hasn't been scooped up), his skill set and measurables have always hinted that he'd be best used in a Reggie Bush hybrid RB-WR way.

To me, anyhow, that's a cool thought to have that, and for a few reasons.

First, we all know he was one of the top speed RBs in last year's draft, which on its own checks off a measurable that our other WRs don't check off in any exceptional way.

Second, what didn't seem to get mentioned very much insofar as anyone I heard or read, his leaping ability was up there (pun intended) with the likes of Alvin Harper.

Third, anytime you can find someone who can fill two roles on a team, of course that opens up a roster slot for some reinforcement somewhere else on the roster.

Oh, and... fourth... I see above that someone said he has "zero" special teams experience.

It is true that he didn't have very much in college, but it is not true to say he had "zero." A glance at the record says he was on the kickoff return team at Eastern Michigan for at least some of his FR and SO years. He only returned 6 kickoffs, and did nothing particularly impressive in those opportunities.

Then, it also is not true to say he had "zero" in a Cowboys uniform. He was on our kickoff return team last preseason for at least the first and last games, and again, was okay, but nothing spectacular, averaging about 23 yards per.

So, count me as one who is still personally a little infatuated with the idea. But not at all bullish on it. All signs seem to point to the staff having essentially said, "Let's see if this guy can force himself onto the roster while McFadden's away, and take a vote at that point where McFadden is back, and live with that decision."

Reactions: BAT

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Frankly, that's why I think it will be Rod Smith. Smith isn't anything special as a runner and probably not even on the level of what Morris is now, but Dallas knows he can line up as the tailback on all three downs and plow into the line for some yards as well as catch passes. (We used him some at tailback in the Houston preseason game and he averaged 6 yards on 7 carries; he also had two attempts for 3 YPC against LA.) The team also knows he can play special teams well. He's also a fullback option if something happens to Keith Smith.

He has the versatility this team loves even if he's not that good of a tailback, and I think the Cowboys trust him enough to keep him as that third option.

Wait a minute, we still have both of the Smith bro's on the team?
I thought they cut one of them last year, (IDK?)
I thought it was pretty cool having two brothers playing for the same team and I'm sure they both thought so too.

The sad part about this whole thread is Darius Jackson is a player with potential and could contribute in heap big ways to some franchise and the guy's got busted up /sidelined not for hanging his guts out on the proverbial Corner fence post in the make or break of game time! but of just trying to get in the lineup so he could contribute, kinda sad and well, got to feel a little Sympathy for the cat.

Last edited:

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
:lmao2::lmao::lmao2:
I'm a Darren McFadden fan myself:thumbup:

Then you must love Darius becomes he reminds me of a young McFadden. DJ like DMC is a former QB turned RB (DJ also played safety), both have 4.3 home run speed ( straight line runners), almost exact size 6-1 220 and both are athletic freaks (DJ not only ran 4.3 at pro day but also sported 41 inch vert and broad jumped over 11 feet). Had a pSPARQ score just under 150. And you know how much the Cowboys love those Sparqy players.