Darius Jackson Available

_sturt_

Reaction score
Darius Jackson isn't good. He couldn't beat out Dunbar or Morris. One guy who is gone now and the other who isn't very good either.

Indisputably true.

But, I'd have liked to have seen him get a full year or two of development in DAL just to see what he might become.

Jackson is another testimony to the fact that not every player is in the right situation in his first year to get a serious chance. In our case, it clearly came down to who was potentially important to our 2016 post season hopes, and he was a casualty of that.

No one seems to dispute he would have been signed back to our practice squad had he cleared waivers, but indeed, the first team that had their chance to snap him up did just that.

So, yes, to the middle sentence... jury's still out to the first... and then, Morris is seriously under-appreciated as far as I'm concerned. He's like my old pick-up... none of the flash, but when called upon, he is both dependable and productive.... which, is a combination that can't be said of very many of the RBs we've had on our roster the last few years.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
The real question will be if he goes to Dick's or Modell's.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Then you must love Darius becomes he reminds me of a young McFadden. DJ like DMC is a former QB turned RB (DJ also played safety), both have 4.3 home run speed ( straight line runners), almost exact size 6-1 220 and both are athletic freaks (DJ not only ran 4.3 at pro day but also sported 41 inch vert and broad jumped over 11 feet). Had a pSPARQ score just under 150. And you know how much the Cowboys love those Sparqy players.
Then DJ just needs to lead the world in kick off returns in the SEC and rush for 4590 collegiate yards in 3 years.

DJ is very athletic but has no real basis for being able to play any position based on proven skill.
Comparing him to DMC details why threads like this exist.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Wait a minute, we still have both of the Smith bro's on the team?
I thought they cut one of them last year, (IDK?)
I thought it was pretty cool having two brothers playing for the same team and I'm sure they both thought so too.

The sad part about this whole thread is Darius Jackson is a player with potential and could contribute in heap big ways to some franchise and the guy's got busted up /sidelined not for hanging his guts out on the proverbial Corner fence post in the make or break of game time! but of just trying to get in the lineup so he could contribute, kinda sad and well, got to feel a little Sympathy for the cat.
No, you don't. He can't play. It's not complicated.
He's never been good at actually playing football. He was good at workjng out.
He can still work out so nothing lost.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
So was Ronald Leary not good? He couldn't beat out anyone as a rookie and sat on the practice squad.
No, he wasn't at the time. Couldn't pick up the playbook and collected penalties that pre-season. But he learned the playbook and was activated in December.
Never looked back and was never released again.
Thing with Leary is Dallas always knew what he was, a Guard.
Once he got going he proved he could play in the NFL but was never considered in our top 5 OL during his stay here.

Also worth noting Lance Dunbar was on that same practice squad. They were the only two to become long-time roster members.

Darius Jackson couldn't crack the top 3/4 RB spots here and never made top 3 in CLE.
CLE could have IR'd Jackson (who played collegiately at nearby Eastern Michigan) and kept his rights but chose to cut bait.

Not even sure how a guy 4th string gets injured in the off-season but it happened and CLE has now joined Dallas in being former teams.

This legend of Darius Jackson thing is so absurd it truly makes me want to throat chop many posters here. The guy averaged 3.5 yards per carry in pre-season versus back up defenses.
He couldn't beat out Rod Smith or Keith Smith as special teams guys.

_sturt_

Reaction score
CLE could have IR'd Jackson (who played collegiately at nearby Eastern Michigan) and kept his rights but chose to cut bait.

Just so we're all on the same page... this is found if you view the Browns' roster today:
2017-06-13_1450.png

Waived him, but it seems only as a maneuver to be able to hold on to his rights while looking at another player during the time he's injured.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Our new kid Thomas has been out for weeks so it might be time to bring Darius in.....

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just so we're all on the same page... this is found if you view the Browns' roster today:
2017-06-13_1450.png

Waived him, but it seems only as a maneuver to be able to hold on to his rights while looking at another player during the time he's injured.

If a player is injured in the offseason, they either have to carry him on the 90 man roster or waive him. If he clears waivers, he'll revert to their IR. They can keep him on IR or give him an injury settlement.

If it was a player they really liked, they would keep him on the 90 and then move him to IR at the cut to 53 date. He would not be exposed to waivers in that situation.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
No, you don't. He can't play. It's not complicated.
He's never been good at actually playing football. He was good at workjng out.
He can still work out so nothing lost.

I'm sorry friend, but I do hold a little sympathy for the guy and although I can appreciate you're dictating as to where the limited allocation of my Sympathy's be directed, it is I and I alone whom wields that overriding decision,,, your contribution to the Darius Jackson 20 page Cowboys zone Memorial dedication is indeed appreciated.

_sturt_

Reaction score
If a player is injured in the offseason, they either have to carry him on the 90 man roster or waive him. If he clears waivers, he'll revert to their IR. They can keep him on IR or give him an injury settlement.

If it was a player they really liked, they would keep him on the 90 and then move him to IR at the cut to 53 date. He would not be exposed to waivers in that situation.

Or, in other words...

So, yes, based on the evidence, it's not like they are so thrilled with him that they aren't considering someone else for his roster spot... but no, based on the evidence, it's also not like they couldn't care less... ie, indeed, they could have given him an injury settlement and as the poster suggested they'd already done, "cut bait."

There's also an argument that says maybe they felt fairly safe in exposing him to waivers at a moment in time when so many teams are trying to just evaluate everything they already have in-house. But who knows. None of us.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Your attempt at deflecting and denigrating my post was pathetically weak and about as effeminate as you look wearing your grandma's sexy Sunday panties when you think nobody's around,,,, thanks for playing,,, player.

The best part is when someone gets BTFO in a near month old thread that they reach and bring it up in an unrelated thread.

Then you have the balls to talk about "deflecting".

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I'm actually ashamed that I contributed to a 15 page thread about Darius Jackson. MODs, while we still have a shred of dignity, close this useless thread

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Or, in other words...

So, yes, based on the evidence, it's not like they are so thrilled with him that they aren't considering someone else for his roster spot... but no, based on the evidence, it's also not like they couldn't care less... ie, indeed, they could have given him an injury settlement and as the poster suggested they'd already done, "cut bait."

There's also an argument that says maybe they felt fairly safe in exposing him to waivers at a moment in time when so many teams are trying to just evaluate everything they already have in-house. But who knows. None of us.

Credit to you for actually being able to admit it, while others rant in absolutes they actually know nothing about. Like the fact that Jackson is still on the Browns roster.

I wonder if any of these "geniuses" actually know the extent of the injury they're speaking so knowledgeably about? Because I haven't seen any details on it anywhere, and without that knowledge, it's impossible to give any valid, informed opinion.

_sturt_

Reaction score
It's still breathing, in theory, because it only evidently rose to anyone's attention that he's not available on after 14 pages were in the books. Some of us really like the guy, apparently, and thought he was worth trying to give him some time to develop, and are wishing for a mulligan. And yes, "us" includes me. But the proverbial writing is on the proverbial wall here. Another dream squashed... hehe.

But hey @DCBoysfan ... love that avatar. I'm with ya, having one foot in AT&T Stadium and the other in Nationals Park.

You might be interested in NationalsDomains.com ... something I put together for us Nats fans' benefit so we don't have to click around so much to see what's being said about the team. Hope you'll visit.

2017-06-14_1203.png