Darius Jackson Available

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
As much as I like Alfred Morris and what he's all about, he's so limited as a player. You can't realistically keep him as a third back at this point in his career. If he can't beat out McFadden, he needs to make room for a younger, more versatile player.

Based on what I saw from Jackson, he appears to be a limited player, too.

He has good size. He has good speed. But he's mostly a straight-line runner who isn't good at adjusting when the hole is closed.

The advantages he would have over Morris are that he could contribute on special teams and he showed decent hands out of the backfield. I'm not opposed to that because Morris is nothing special at this point, but I don't see Jackson being much more than the next Tyson Thompson for us.

Now, he could prove me wrong because he's a young player who might can develop in some areas, but that's what I saw of him in the preseason.

Based on some of the love for Jackson on here, I'm sure there are those who believe I'm dead wrong since Thompson didn't turn out to be much, but Thompson actually put up better numbers his first preseason and impressed Bill Parcells so much in the final preseason game that he told Thompson coming off the field that he would be suiting up for the season opener against San Diego. He hung around for a few years because of his size and speed but only hung around three years because reality set in that he was just a straight-line back with little vision.

My bet for the third RB spot this year remains Rod Smith. He's also nothing special as a runner, but we know he's a special teams standout and he also can play fullback if needed.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
bad knee, if not a microfracture, works to our advantage.
if it is an ACL, he can be stashed for 2018 when we only have zeke under contract.
@bkight13 , would his ~minimum salary count on the cap if he is not part of 53?
It would count.........it is 53man + IR/Pup + Practice Squad

it would be a waste of time and space...... you don't go looking for injured guys to pay

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
So who was the posters I had to constantly tell that EVERY TEAM has a Darius Jackson on it and that he will be available this offseason if the Cowboys really needed him? You guys tried to make him out to be something he wasn't. I wish him the best but he's playing a position in a league where every team has about 4 of them.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
i think they have some designation for that.
also can stash him on IR to keep an extra RB.

Domt think they can do that until the season starts. He would just take up a roster spot.
He would need to be signed, then put on PUP for TC. Now if he was on the team, and was injured in OTAs then they could put him on IR, as they did Lee a few years back.
But I don't think a team would, or can sign an injured player and stash him.

And Jackso is over rated anyway. Why would we want him back, people act like he was a first over all draft pick in the draft.

chagus

Reaction score
giphy.gif
LOL!!!

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
So who was the posters I had to constantly tell that EVERY TEAM has a Darius Jackson on it and that he will be available this offseason if the Cowboys really needed him? You guys tried to make him out to be something he wasn't. I wish him the best but he's playing a position in a league where every team has about 4 of them.
He isn't available because he can't play. He is available because of an injury and when your a back down on the depth chart and get injuried this is what happens.

I like Jackson and thought it was silly to cut him when he could contribute to the team. That being said now that he is injuried.....plus the injury to the knee) it's time to move on from Darius Jackson

John813

Reaction score
This is the difference between a first round exit or hoisting the Lombardi.
Make the right move Jerry

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He isn't available because he can't play. He is available because of an injury and when your a back down on the depth chart and get injuried this is what happens.

I like Jackson and thought it was silly to cut him when he could contribute to the team. That being said now that he is injuried.....plus the injury to the knee) it's time to move on from Darius Jackson

How do we know?

Has anyone gotten anything close to definitive word on what his "injury to the knee" actually is?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If anyone else is interested, here are the current results from a BTB poll on this subject:

Poll
Should the Cowboys put in a claim for Darius Jackson?
  • 45%
    ABSOLUTELY: Give me the 2016 dream!
    (1561 votes)

• 37%
    Sure: The more the merrier.
    (1283 votes)

• 12%
    Don’t care: We’ve got Zeke, doesn’t bother me who is or isn’t behind him.
    (431 votes)

• 4%
    No thanks: I’ve already ordered my Jahad Thomas jersey.
    (152 votes)

• 1%
    NO WAY: I never liked Darius anyway.
    (44 votes)
3471 votes total