Dark Days Ahead

stiletto

Reaction score
I think i have a safe bet..we will see but its gonna look like this
a Day3 RB and LB
Draft an RB,LB,OL in some order...Mazi is your DT because Jones and 1st round pick
THEN CD and Dak will get paid..Im like 99% on this...its not what i would do but its exactly what they have done for many years...
How long do you think they'll extend Dak for?

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
But then you have to pay Dak a LOT more if it works out or get no compensation if Dak walks

Again, that is not a plan, thats a prayer

A good FO would either have paid him and have money to execute a plan to build a team around him or tell him to find a trade partner
100% letting him hit FA is just a bad FO move all around..it will also muddy up your HC choice next year..its pure dumb. Trade him (and CD and Micah and any other not named Diggs/Bland Tyler) and start next year with a new HC and draft capitol.

stiletto

Reaction score
But then you have to pay Dak a LOT more if it works out or get no compensation if Dak walks

A good FO would either have paid him and have money to execute a plan to build a team around him or tell him to find a trade partner
Probably, maybe they are waiting until after FA so it doesn't appear they actually can afford guys at the top of the market

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Who's giving up assets for Dak if he is so bad?

That would mean a GM would have to make a bad choice to trade for him. How can Dallas be dumb if no one will take Dak in trade? He is so bad...you have to let him walk.

Are these posts suggesting that there are dumb GM's out there and Dak could undeniably fetch assets? Why are we letting him walk then?

This argument seems childish

Chasing6

Reaction score
No way to spin this. Unless the Cowboys are sold, I will never see another serious SB caliber team in my life. I've known this for a while, but this year cements it. The level of FO ineptitude is really staggering.

It does look like this is a make or break year for Prescott. However, as opposed to really evaluating the talent and team, They set up a contract with no trade clause and a huge number they never fathomed on being stuck against.

Dak doesnt have the leverage he thinks if the team is seriously resetting. Real GMs would respond to "I have all the leverage" with "We will hold a full competition at QB this year". This is the time you say, you can seek a trade or ride the bench so we can see what Lance has. You arent winning this year anyway

Carson Palmer, Carson Wentz, Stafford, Russ Wilson all garnered 1st rd picks. Dak is at least as good as some of those and, like Washington and Minn with Cousins, this may be the rare occasion where the compensation is ZERO - just unfathomable,

Knowing this is a tear down, you do it like Denver, Trade Lamb, Bland and Maybe Parsons and truly go for the future. But no, this is about to be 3-4 years of 4-6 win teams
Dak has all the leverage and that is why they need to rebuild. Crazy part is the lack of communication or incompetence by our Owner/GM.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
Are you pro or anti Dak?
Pro Cowboys. Dak cant win being >25% of the cap. He be offered take a bit more than cousins-esque and beef up oline and dlines and LB sign a decent vet RB so you arent forces to go RB in the top 3 rounds. Prove the external career opportunities with continuing to be a better than avg Cowboys QB (i.e. Romo and even Garrett). Romo isnt a broadcaster if not for being a Cowboy.
He wont take it, then sit for a year to evaluate Lance. Either way, you will get a trade to a desperate team.

If you dont want him, then trade lamb, parson etc. and have him lead a bottom dweller for a year and further depress his next contract

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
Dak has all the leverage and that is why they need to rebuild. Crazy part is the lack of communication or incompetence by our Owner/GM.
he really doesnt if they inform him he is benched him for Lance. That depresses his next contract by 30-40M and ends any post-football diamonds you get from being a cowboy qb.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
he really doesnt if they inform him he is benched him for Lance. That depresses his next contract by 30-40M and ends any post-football diamonds you get from being a cowboy qb.
Im not sure it would change his FA worth other than he took no hits for a year..look at D Watson..

Chasing6

Reaction score
No it will not.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
No way to spin this. Unless the Cowboys are sold, I will never see another serious SB caliber team in my life. I've known this for a while, but this year cements it. The level of FO ineptitude is really staggering.

It does look like this is a make or break year for Prescott. However, as opposed to really evaluating the talent and team, They set up a contract with no trade clause and a huge number they never fathomed on being stuck against.

Dak doesnt have the leverage he thinks if the team is seriously resetting. Real GMs would respond to "I have all the leverage" with "We will hold a full competition at QB this year". This is the time you say, you can seek a trade or ride the bench so we can see what Lance has. You arent winning this year anyway

Carson Palmer, Carson Wentz, Stafford, Russ Wilson all garnered 1st rd picks. Dak is at least as good as some of those and, like Washington and Minn with Cousins, this may be the rare occasion where the compensation is ZERO - just unfathomable,

Knowing this is a tear down, you do it like Denver, Trade Lamb, Bland and Maybe Parsons and truly go for the future. But no, this is about to be 3-4 years of 4-6 win teams
I knew we would never win anything when Jerry was training Jason Garrett. I'm just following for the laughs now. And some guy's tears. It's Christmas every day now. "How bout them losers"

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Stuck with a salesman who thinks he is an NFL GM has doomed this franchise for 28 years.
The future does not look any better.

Syron

Reaction score
Im not sure it would change his FA worth other than he took no hits for a year..look at D Watson..
Watson was 4 years younger at the time, a top 5 QB, first round draft pick, and he went to the one team in the league with an owner that wanted him at any cost. Benching Dak this year and he is no longer the face of the Cowboys. Gone would be all those endorsement deals and he would end up being a year older hitting the free agency market. No, he would definitely request a trade before allowing that to happen.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I'm not quite that pessimistic but I get where you're coming from. This front office has horribly mismanaged the situation the last few years despite putting together a decent roster for three straight years. With that said though there should be actual hope that they see this through and could have a true reset for 2025. Not sure it needs to be a total tear down, but they should position themselves to be actual players in free agency next season. You get to free up some cap flexibility, two draft classes and another run next year. Tough part is going to be figuring out the QB situation, but thats not the impossible task it was a decade ago. My fear is they half*** free agency then we see the extensions start. Either do it now and truly go all in or look to the future. Worst thing they can do is be half in/half out, that's what will set a team back 5 years.
Half in, half out is what they specialize in.
Just staying relevant.

They never go all in, despite what Jerry said.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Watson was 4 years younger at the time, a top 5 QB, first round draft pick, and he went to the one team in the league with an owner that wanted him at any cost. Benching Dak this year and he is no longer the face of the Cowboys. Gone would be all those endorsement deals and he would end up being a year older hitting the free agency market. No, he would definitely request a trade before allowing that to happen.
He might but his last year of play on tape would be an MVP year..your assuming the other 31 GM's in the league respect the Cowboys GM's evaluation..Im not sure they dont blame the Cowboys GM for the players failures...who knows

Dorsett33

Reaction score

I agree with most of what you are saying. But, if you're trying to get a high draft pick for Dak, you need to do it now. Before the draft. Teams got QBs in FA. And if you let teams get to the draft to get QBs, the chances of you getting a high draft pick is pretty slim.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
Who's giving up assets for Dak if he is so bad?

That would mean a GM would have to make a bad choice to trade for him. How can Dallas be dumb if no one will take Dak in trade? He is so bad...you have to let him walk.

Are these posts suggesting that there are dumb GM's out there and Dak could undeniably fetch assets? Why are we letting him walk then?

This argument seems childish
Eagles got a 1st for Wentz, Watson got 3 1st round picks with a no-trade clause,
Any team that has been toiling with Daniel Jones-esque, Sam Howells, Geno Smiths, Ryan Tannyhills would in a heartbeat

Gator70

Reaction score

I'm only asking cause I don't know, and I'm not talking good or bad about Dak. Hypothetically if Dak kills it next year and becomes a FA and does sign a huge contract elsewhere. Is he eligible for us to receive a Comp Pick? That might be a decent pick. or is he ineligible when it comes to compensatory picks.