DaRon Bland best Cowboys 5th round draft pick ever?

NickZepp

Reaction score
Don't most of these corners though? IN High school you typically play two positions...the receivers who didn't have the best hands typically went to the secondary by college.
Not always true. College and NFL you need to be able to have the ability to turn more. And other skills that are important in coverage more in college than in HS.

Manster68

Reaction score
Great rookie year. Sophomore year tied for most Pick 6s in an NFL season. Leads NFL in INTs for 2022-2023 seasons. And still 7 games left! Unbelievable.

Was looking at the draft archives. Thought Jimmy might have drafted someone in the 5th that stood out this much, but no.

Have to go back to 1985 when the Cowboys picked Herschel Walker to find a similar steal, and that really wasn’t a typical draft pick. 1968 Blaine Nye, 1966 Walt Garrison

What a freaking find!
Almost not fair that Diggs is hurt. Best young corner duo in NFL if Diggs can play back to his pre-injury levels. Diggs, Bland and Gilmore. Wow. :flagwave:
We can start by considering other notable 5th round picks for Dallas:
1. Walt Garrison (RIP) - one of the more recognizable players in Cowboys history
2. Blaine Nye - 2 Pro Bowls and a key part to great Cowboy offensive lines in the late 60s to mid 70s.
3. Ron Springs (RIP) - stellar compliment to Dorsett in early to mid 80s.
4. Gary Hogeboom - nope. Sarcasm
5. Phil Pozderac - nope - constant holding calls. Sarcasm
6. Hershal Walker - Great running back who was sacrificed in 1989 to build a dynasty. The greatest 5th round pick here!
7. Orlando Scandrick - nice, steady complimentary player.
8. Joseph Randal - nope - underwear boy.
9. Simi Fehoko - nope
10. Damone Clark - playing his best considering spinal fusion surgery.

So to me, it goes: Hershal, Bland, Nye, then Garrison

quickccc

Reaction score
Yep. He's better than Diggs. Makes plays the same way but does it without gambling and guessing as much. And is far more physical.

He's an absolute stud and a great humble dude.
I'm not ready to say Bland is better than Diggs.

He's still learning to master covering WRs that are adept at " double moves " and getting upfield on him.
This is only his first full season on the outside.

Diggs has mastered covering and making INT plays both moving forward, ..as well as upfield hip to hip.
Bland is not yet as established as Diggs at this point, when it comes to pure coverage,..imo.
It was a point early where Diggs seem to give up big plays frequently, but he seems to simmer that
down to more shut down before his unfortunate ACL injury.

I do agree he is more physical than Diggs, and a better tackler whether vs run support. or open field
And he's very strong in flat overpowering WRs for the contested ball.

quickccc

Reaction score
1. Walt Garrison (RIP) - one of the more recognizable players in Cowboys history
2. Blaine Nye - 2 Pro Bowls and a key part to great Cowboy offensive lines in the late 60s to mid 70s.
6. Hershal Walker - Great running back who was sacrificed in 1989 to build a dynasty. The greatest 5th round pick here!
9. Simi Fehoko - nope

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/dal/draft.htm

Dallas Cowboys All time NFL Draft history

quickccc

Reaction score
Yep, rather have Diggs and Bland. Have to go back to Kevin Smith and Primetime before I can think of a comparable duo.
I don't think CB Kevin Smith made it back from his devastating Achilles Tendon tear
- which prompt Jerry to pursue Deion Sanders as a FA.

I remember Sanders being paired up with Larry Brown - en route to a Super Bowl win over Steelers. ;)

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I don't think CB Kevin Smith made it back from his devastating Achilles Tendon tear
- which prompt Jerry to pursue Deion Sanders as a FA.

I remember Sanders being paired up with Larry Brown - en route to a Super Bowl win over Steelers. ;)
True. Never quite the same. He lasted almost 10 years though.

conner01

Reaction score
As you said Also in the fifth round

Herschel Walker
Blaine Nye
Walt Garrison

IMHO it’s a little early to call him the best fifth round pick ever. I think from the names listed, over the course of a career I put Blaine Nye first. Fans today either don’t remember him or forget just how good he was. Walt Garrison, rest in peace, also made good contributions to the team over long period of time. Herschel Walker, well, helped build the dynasty the 90s by getting traded.

Bland though, is certainly off to the fastest start and could wind up being the best one of the lot
3 pretty good ones. But he has the potential to be the best. Just have to see his career

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We drafted Herschel Walker in the 5th round and we know what his career meant to the Cowboys, so...

Craig Morton wasn't too shabby either.
Hershel was a futures pick for us. We just wanted his rights in case the USFL folded…… which it did and we got walker. But he was no 5th round project player. If he hadn’t signed with NJ, he was a top 3 pick in the draft.

Last edited:

deerhunter11

Reaction score
This is the way I see it ,the NFL is set up where teams are built equally through the draft . So being good at finding these DaRon Bland type players in the 5th round makes teams closer to Super Bowl talented teams. But there is a bit of luck or good fortune in the mix.

plymkr

Reaction score
I had a gut feeling about him when he was drafted.
Not me. I wish I could say I had a gut feeling about Bland when we drafted but I didn’t. At most I was thinking he would be a ST’s guy and 4th or 5th CB.

I’m really excited to see a Bland Diggs CB duo, hoping Diggs comes back healthy. That’s going to be a CB duo teams will fear. Both ballhawks and playmakers.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
9. Simi Fehoko - nope

The difference is that those others played more than one and a half seasons. To early to tell, but I sure hope he keeps playing like this for many years. If he does, he'll be one of the special ones.

kskboys

Reaction score
As you said Also in the fifth round

Herschel Walker
Blaine Nye
Walt Garrison

IMHO it’s a little early to call him the best fifth round pick ever. I think from the names listed, over the course of a career I put Blaine Nye first. Fans today either don’t remember him or forget just how good he was. Walt Garrison, rest in peace, also made good contributions to the team over long period of time. Herschel Walker, well, helped build the dynasty the 90s by getting traded.

Bland though, is certainly off to the fastest start and could wind up being the best one of the lot
Scandrick was a very good player.

Way too early to anoint Bland.

Ron Springs was a high quality spell back.