David Helman I would love for this to be Dak's last year in Dallas. (For Dak Prescott's sake.)

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Simply put........I honestly think we are almost at a point where they both ( Dak and Cowboys ) are tired of each other. I sometimes think back to the late John Madden's 10-year rule and wonder if Jerry doesn't follow it. Madden once said 10 years are long enough for any player or coach on one team. Looking back at some former Cowboy legends their careers end near the 8-10 year threshold. In other words, Jerry rarely gives a player a 3rd contract.
Also, has anyone else noticed how quiet he and Stehphen have been about Dak's future with the team? Remember prior they could stop raving about Dak and his future during the negotiation of his current deal but it's pretty obvious that is now gone. Dak and Jerry are both now wearing their 100% business caps saying I'm covering my butt, team be damned.
I never heard Madden say that.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
Well…that’s interesting to say the least. Can’t win a SB if you can’t make the playoffs.

it’s also worth noting just drafting Aikman isn’t why they won’t fire rings. Those All Pros and Hall of Famers had a little say in it.
Man, this is so tiresome. As it has been explained a thousand times.

With Dak we know where the ceiling is. With a rebuild we get a whole new chance to get different results. Do we have the risk of getting worse results? Of course. But when has that ever been the reason not to try something new in the history of mankind? Dak isn't in is second year. He's been here 4 years too long.

That's not so hard to comprehend, is it? I don't need a better QB right out of the gates. But I want the chance to fair better, not stay where I am.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Man, this is so tiresome. As it has been explained a thousand times.

With Dak we know where the ceiling is. With a rebuild we get a whole new chance to get different results. Do we have the risk of getting worse results? Of course. But when has that ever been the reason not to try something new in the history of mankind? Dak isn't in is second year. He's been here 4 years too long.

That's not so hard to comprehend, is it? I don't need a better QB right out of the gates. But I want the chance to fair better, not stay where I am.
Yeah, NFL MVP runner up, and led the league in multiple categories. That’s a decent resume at this point in his career. He will also get better from experience with the WCO.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Dak has played bad in the playoffs, outside of that Tampa Bay game, and I think that is a big factor in why the Cowboys might be reluctant to give Dak another huge contract.

However, I think people are trying to put way too much of the blame for those playoff losses soley on Dak and not on the organization itself.

Dak didnt show up until 2016, what level of success were the Cowboys enjoying prior to that?

The same as now...........Dak has taken the Cowboys just as far as every other QB since Troy Aikman.

So, my faith in this organization to suddenly start going to NFCCG and SBs after Dak is gone is at an all-time low. The next QB in line will probably have the same level of success as Dak and the other 20 something QBs that came before him because the common denominator, JERRY, is still here.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Teams draft and move on from QB's every year. MN just did it. Dak Prescott is what he is, the guy who will shine against poor teams and the guy who will crap the bed against the good teams. Now does that make him the worst QB in the world - no. Does it mean you are going to field a viable winning product on the field by paying him 60 mil a year? Also no.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
He’s talking about the 12 win seasons. Feel how you want but they typically are a playoff team when Dak is healthy. As much as the lack of post season success is looked down on it’s still a luxury to at least get to the dance.
Interesting, because you're right this model has got us to the dance, but if you cant do anything when you get there it's a painful disappointment ..... and that's where we are, not fooling for this Play-off / hope / crushing disappointment (because most of us can see the same problems year after year).

We lived this 12 win, no progress for three years, it isnt getting any better and indeed due to the three massive contracts, it's probably going backwards.

If Dak want's to maximise his earnings potential (then fine.....but it's not with us), if he's willing to concede (and I continue to bang the table on the number of years being that concession), then it's possible to go HEAVY backdated/restructure which will give us (and Jerry whilst he's got his health) the chance at an ALL-IN for a couple of seasons.

Blitzen

Reaction score
Think they had 9. Out of those 9.....not sure I see a Hall of Fame in that bunch...yet anyway.

Zack Martin could definitely make it. Tyron Smith has a chance. However, HOF usually requires the team to win in the postseason (especially for offensive lineman). Martin has amassed so many all pro seasons and consistent excellent years that he stands a good chance of getting in anyway. Defenders can amass lots of stats that help their case-even without team accolades.

As far as the case for drafting a QB high in the draft and seeing where it can get the team-I see no valid concern as to why that’s a terrible choice. The team has been stagnant for years now, and Dak is getting much older. The idea that bigger and better things are on the horizon with Dak and a higher contract is absurd from a historical perspective.