David Moore Lowdown on Dez

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tell yourself whatever you want to when stuff like this happens, but spare the rest of us the spin attempts. Blame it on people for getting upset about it instead of those creating the issue. Brilliant.

And then try to minimize the impact of a selfish player doing whatever he wants, whenever he wants, and an organization that tries to cover it up for the sake of perception.

Either engage the discussion, or spare me the digs at my rationale if you don't have enough interest in the take to reply directly.

I don't need to defend the motivations behind my opinions to you, stash. I've proven many times over I'm able and willing to be critical of the team.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fair enough, Idgit. I, too, think the "elite" word is thrown around too much across the board. Agree to disagree, as they say :)

FWIW, I do think Romo is an elite player. That's an opinion probably not shared by a lot of people right now. :) But Romo makes the plays at the times in games where they need to be made. He's underrated in the league, somehow, which is crazy to me.

superonyx

Reaction score
I've been in Dez's corner through all of his shenanigans, but this incident is starting to push me over to the dark side.

As the second highest paid player on the team, Dez has to be held to a high standard. Dropping off the radar like that for two days is frankly pretty alarming.

If Dez had been tearing it up on the field lately, then this would be a much easier to pill to swallow, but we haven't seen dominant Dez since 2014.
He didn't drop off the radar for 2 days.
Even if you believe the story Dez showed up late for the MRI on Tuesday. He didn't run off and join Johnny Manziel at a Vegas Bar for 2 days. He was off on Monday and showed up late on Tuesday. Maybe he had a life situation. Who knows, but it's minor overall.
These people on the board won't ever give anyone the benefit of the doubt. Dez was late for his MRI so now he needs to be cut, he is now bad at catching passes, he is stupid, he is a thug, he will blow all of his money, blah blah blah...

If true it's not a good thing to do...but let's not act like he was out burying a body or something.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
So, was this Dez just worried it was going to come back as something serious?

Look, he should have got the MRI immediately. HOWEVER, is it really such a problem the guy wants to play football? If that is the reason, maybe it's something else, but it seems like he was postponing what he expected to be bad news.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
If the Eaglez can do what they did this past off season, anything can happen.

It won't happen though because Jerry is the most loyal owner in the league. His kindness to his players is one of his biggest downfall. I can't remember the last time he has traded a player. Can you? Maybe someone towards the bottom of the roster but never anyone memorable.

Even guys who have some value (DWare), he releases them and let's them choose their own team. This is probably why he is so respected among players but it also allows players to walk all over him.
DAL only has 12m in dead money for Dez after this year........he is very trade-able with a 13m guaranteed salary for 2017 and 12.5m each for 2018-19

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
FWIW, I do think Romo is an elite player. That's an opinion probably not shared by a lot of people right now. :) But Romo makes the plays at the times in games where they need to be made. He's underrated in the league, somehow, which is crazy to me.

I completely, and wholeheartedly, cosign every word of your post. Romo is a top 5, elite, QB when he's on the field, and he hasn't shown me that he is anything other than that, yet.

Unfortunately, he has a propensity to get injured here as of late, and isn't able to iron man through it like he was before (because you simply can't with the peculiar injuries he's been getting).

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
He didn't drop off the radar for 2 days.
Even if you believe the story Dez showed up late for the MRI on Tuesday. He didn't run off and join Johnny Manziel at a Vegas Bar for 2 days. He was off on Monday and showed up late on Tuesday. Maybe he had a life situation. Who knows, but it's minor overall.
These people on the board won't ever give anyone the benefit of the doubt. Dez was late for his MRI so now he needs to be cut, he is now bad at catching passes, he is stupid, he is a thug, he will blow all of his money, blah blah blah...

If true it's not a good thing to do...but let's not act like he was out burying a body or something.
That is why teams have fines........they know players will be late and miss meetings but they don't give the death penalty for speeding tickets.......if he was late he pays the fine......if he is late a lot he pays a lot of fines and maybe gets benched for a series or two.....it happens every day to every team

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Linehan takes him out of games.....he is much better on the crossing routes and slants like TO used to be.......get him moving and get him involved....don't just send him on go routes.......he can out jump you or out muscle you but he can't out run you

Dez is a physical freak. His ability to high point the ball and his body control are off the charts. When he first came into the league, it took him a long time to get his route adjustments down. Then there was a period where he couldn't beat doubles effectively. He's gotten a lot better at both, but as I said above, he still drops too many (very difficult) catches, disappears in enough clutch situations, and gets silenced by really really good CBs too often. Maybe he's not used right (I think there are other reasons why they don't run him on more slants), but mostly, he's just a very good player and not quite an elite one. If he didn't wear 88 and didn't have a constant media circus around him maybe we wouldn't be as tempted to give him a status he hasn't really earned quite yet.

(I should probably say, though, that it was insane for people to talk about letting the guy walk last season. He's a guy you have to sign if you're serious about keeping a competitive team).

robjay04

Reaction score
DAL only has 12m in dead money for Dez after this year........he is very trade-able with a 13m guaranteed salary for 2017 and 12.5m each for 2018-19

I agree it can be done. Those numbers are similar what he will get on the open market.

My point is Jerry won't even field offers, we don't trade players, especially players that Jerry has built a relationship with.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
you're either part of the solution or you're part of the problem. jason is an enabler of jerry and a ****ty head coach, he's not helping the situation.

He's enabling his boss to run his team the way he wants to?

Interesting.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Case in point, his TD last week was a route that ended in the middle (kinda -- it was an out that ended back towards the middle), in traffic, out muscling his defender.
right on.....he can out muscle DBs and keep his body between them and the ball.......he is really good at jumpball and fades as well.......just not go routes and outs

he is too strong for CBs and too fast for Safties........keep him in the middle of the field until the red zone

Everson24

Reaction score
I'll say it again, the Cowboys would be smart to divorce themselves from Dez Bryant ASAP.

They should have done it this past march when he was due the rest of his signing bonus. He now has suffered a broken ankle, back issues, broken finger, broken foot and now a broken tibia. He will most likely never live up to the contract Jerry signed him to.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
This is Dez. It's always been this way.

It's the price they have to pay for his talent level and what he brings to the table.
I think WR just wrnt to the top of our draft need list in 2017.

B/W him and TWilliams

its rapidly getting very messy.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Dez is a physical freak. His ability to high point the ball and his body control are off the charts. When he first came into the league, it took him a long time to get his route adjustments down. Then there was a period where he couldn't beat doubles effectively. He's gotten a lot better at both, but as I said above, he still drops too many (very difficult) catches, disappears in enough clutch situations, and gets silenced by really really good CBs too often. Maybe he's not used right (I think there are other reasons why they don't run him on more slants), but mostly, he's just a very good player and not quite an elite one. If he didn't wear 88 and didn't have a constant media circus around him maybe we wouldn't be as tempted to give him a status he hasn't really earned quite yet.

(I should probably say, though, that it was insane for people to talk about letting the guy walk last season. He's a guy you have to sign if you're serious about keeping a competitive team).
Right on.......just saying the skill set he had to average 1300 yards and 14 TDs for 3 years didn't go away or get diminished.......his was never a fast twitch speed game......he can play forever like Anquan Boldin Imo.......kind of a super TE that can kill you in the redzone

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
They should have done it this past march when he was due the rest of his signing bonus. He now has suffered a broken ankle, back issues, broken finger, broken foot and now a broken tibia. He will most likely never live up to the contract Jerry signed him to.
the contract is not a problem going forward.......it is very team friendly after this year

3ys/38m with only 13m guaranteed

visionary

Reaction score
Dez is like a giant baby who runs fast and catches a lot of footballs. This is what you get with him. It's annoying, but it's not really that much of a big deal in the scheme of things with the exception of the hurdle it posed for him coming up to speed in the offense.

It is posts like this that tell us how blind people truly are

Some of us were against giving him that ridiculous contract but this FO continues to make idiotic decisions

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
you're either part of the solution or you're part of the problem. jason is an enabler of jerry and a ****ty head coach, he's not helping the situation.

I get the perspective that Garrett is an enabler, but let's be honest.

No head coach with gravitas will come to Dallas. The Parcells situation was brought on by an expensive divorce more than anything.

We will find that out the hard way when Jones makes his next switch.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
is Phillip Rivers elite?