Draft Day ***Day one Draft Thread***

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Cobb is just a slot WR, he cant play on the outside.

Lamb can play both, he can play inside as your slot WR or he can move outside and play on the boundry and be equally effective at both.

At Oklahoma last year, he scored 7 TDs lined up as a slot WR and 7 TDs lined up outside.

What I am saying is that he can run the entire route tree for you, Cobb cant. So yes, he is an upgrade over Cobb just due to his flexibility.

Cobb wasn't just a slot receiver, he played outside also. But even if Lamb is an upgrade, supposedly he's going to be the no. 3 receiver, play the slot mostly, so his running of the entire route tree isn't going to be any great advantage there.

Don't misunderstand me, Lamb has the potential to be a very good to great receiver, but my point was that it doesn't do you as much good to have a 3rd very good to great receiver if your defense is mediocre, which is a definite possibility IF the Cowboys don't draft very well for defense the next few picks. I'm just not a fan of the "we'll just outscore the other team". We saw the Rams' no. 1 offense held to 3 pts in their recent SB appearance, so the "we'll just outscore the other team" scenario is no guarantee of championships. And what if Dak goes down for any significant appearance of time? Your high powered offense will fall down, and you'll have no defense to take up the slack.

I just wanted to upgrade the defense first, you wanted to upgrade the receiving corps first, that's fine, now that the pick is done, hopefully it was the right decision...

tyke1doe

Reaction score
That remains to be seen, if he has such great hands, moves, etc. I would not be at all surprised if he is tried at punt/kick returns...
You don't put your first round draft pick on special teams. Dez returned punts because he asked to. And I think Dez was a bit sturdier in the body than Lamb. But we shall see.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Same with Delpit. We may land one of them at 51

Cowboys certainly need another safety, Heath was no great shakes but he did know the defense, and Dix is likely a short term replacement, getting a rookie safety for cheap (relatively) for 4 years is a big need...

stilltheguru

Reaction score
You don't put your first round draft pick on special teams. Dez returned punts because he asked to. And I think Dez was a bit sturdier in the body than Lamb. But we shall see.
What kind of logic is this? Reagor will probably return punts for Philly. Tyreek Hill and Desean jackson returned punts. You think top level playmakers shouldnt return punts?

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score

That's not correct. LVE played on 44% of special teams snaps his rookie year. Byron Jones played on 38% of special teams his rookie year. Randy White played mostly special teams his first two years. Taco played a few his first year. Hill may have if he'd not been hurt all year.

But like you said, we shall see...

tyke1doe

Reaction score
That's not correct. LVE played on 44% of special teams snaps his rookie year. Byron Jones played on 38% of special teams his rookie year. Randy White played mostly special teams his first two years. Taco played a few his first year. Hill may have if he'd not been hurt all year.

But like you said, we shall see...

I should have said offensive players. Woodson played special teams also. Defensive players are used to delivering hits, so, yes, they play special teams. But you don't take your top offensive player and subject him to hits on special teams. Again, the Cowboys let Dez play special teams because he lobbied for it. But they quickly took him off the punt team. The Cowboys weren't stupid. They didn't want to subject Dez to additional wear and tear. I doubt they'd want that for Lamb either, especially when they likely envision CeeDee sliding into Gallup's position in a few years.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
See a lot of sites calling Lamb's pickup a "steal". Getting a guy who was projected at say, no 6 and getting him at 17 isn't a ''steal" to me, that's silly. Getting a Staubach or Hayes or such in the later rounds and ending up as a HOF'er is a "steal".

The hyperbole in the media never fails to amaze...:laugh:

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I should have said offensive players. Woodson played special teams also. Defensive players are used to delivering hits, so, yes, they play special teams. But you don't take your top offensive player and subject him to hits on special teams. Again, the Cowboys let Dez play special teams because he lobbied for it. But they quickly took him off the punt team. The Cowboys weren't stupid. They didn't want to subject Dez to additional wear and tear. I doubt they'd want that for Lamb either, especially when they likely envision CeeDee sliding into Gallup's position in a few years.

It's hardly a question of wear and tear, last year the Cowboys returned a grand total of 23 punts all year. Dez wasn't "quickly" taken off special teams, he had 43 kick returns his first year and 26 the next, he was taken off mainly because he was a full time starter, the man didn't have unlimited stamina...

tyke1doe

Reaction score
What kind of logic is this? Reagor will probably return punts for Philly. Tyreek Hill and Desean jackson returned punts. You think top level playmakers shouldnt return punts?
It's the type of logic that says you protect your high-dollar investment, particularly if he's picked in the first round. Tyreek Hill was selected in the fifth round. He wasn't considered a high-price investment at the time. Desean Jackson was a second-rounder.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
It's hardly a question of wear and tear, last year the Cowboys returned a grand total of 23 punts all year. Dez wasn't "quickly" taken off special teams, he had 43 kick returns his first year and 26 the next, he was taken off mainly because he was a full time starter, the man didn't have unlimited stamina...
Uh, you don't have your main starters on special teams because they could get hurt. That's wear and tear. You don't want to expose your starters to additional opportunities to be hurt outside of what you need them to do.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
It's the type of logic that says you protect your high-dollar investment, particularly if he's picked in the first round. Tyreek Hill was selected in the fifth round. He wasn't considered a high-price investment at the time. Desean Jackson was a second-rounder.

You can't really "protect" players, Lamb will get hit just as much, if not more, running routes as he will in returns.

Besides, if Cooper and Gallup are the outside receivers, using Lamb only in the slot is a waste of talent. We aren't going to agree, obviously, let's revisit the issue after the season (if there is one)..

tyke1doe

Reaction score
You can't really "protect" players, Lamb will get hit just as much, if not more, running routes as he will in returns..
Yes, you can. You limit their opportunities to get hit. Offensive starter + special teams player > offensive starter - special teams player.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
I can find first rounders who returned punts but we'll agree to disagree. Lamb will be our PR imo and rightfully so