***Day Three Draft Thread***

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agreed...............I will take Prescott every day of the week and twice on Sunday compared to Cook.

Cook was considered such a dick at Michigan State that his teammates refused to vote him a team captain..........that speaks volumes to me.

Agreed.

And any college QB that can't complete 60% of their passes... I don't want'em.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Romo for 16 and 17, Dak goes 3-13 in 18 we get our new franchise qb in 19, how fun :rolleyes:

Well what do you recommend?

There is only two ways to get a QB in the draft, you either draft one in the middle rounds , like we just did, and hope he develops (Kirk Cousins was a 4th btw), or you trade multiple premium picks to move up and get a guy in the first?

So what way do you want it? Do you want to try and develop some mid round QBs over the next couple of seasons or do you want to trade multiple high picks for a guy?

There is no 1-800-get-franchise-QB listed in the phone book.............either trade the farm or try to develop, that is your only options.......so which is it?

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
Just to interject on this QB debate, I am fully onboard with the Dak Prescott experiment. In a perfect world he will get a couple 2-3 years to sit and learn with the occasional mop up duty. Not upset with the pick or the spot taken.
I just wanted to add a comment about this draft in General. I remember last year when we got Collins after the draft, that I thought we had knocked the draft out of the park. Thought we as a franchise had turned the corner. Well, we all know how that went.
This year, I think it was a very solid draft, I was in the Ramsey camp - but I do see the immediate benefits of taking Zeke, and will support him fully as a Cowboy. High character, intelligent player. Same goes for Smith, yes its a bummer he wont play this season but he could/will be a catalytic player if he makes it back. Every other pick should make the squad, Maybe the RB and TE end up on the PS for the first year. Collins and Tapper become part of the Dline rotations, same with the corner and safety, who will be ST players to start.
Solid, is what I would call this draft, with a chance of really high upside if Smith becomes the player he can be.
And one final note, as a wearer of the Damascus Ware # 94 jersey, I have been waiting for someone to come along to replace it. Thought of Lee. But I will go buy what ever # Smith is given. He is a good kid, hope he becomes a Cowboy great.
Maybe solid gets us a little further than what I thought was a home run last year - I hope so.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
Can't do worst then we had

We had two proven Vets who are still in the league, one of whom got cut, then went on into playoff contention. Rookie Presscott better than Vets Cassel and Weeden? Something tells you there is a lot more wrong with 1-11 than just backup QB.

So lets take a 2nd round pick that won't play a down, just like a Rookie QB which should help.....in 2017.

Last edited:

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
We had two proven Vets who are still in the league, one of whom got cut, then went on into playoff contention. Rookie Presscott better than Vets Cassel and Weeden? Something tells you there is a lot more wrong with 1-11 than just backup QB.

So lets take a 2nd round pick that won't play a down, just like a Rookie QB which should help.....in 2017.

1-11 had more to do with just back up QB but a ton of the reason they went 1-11 was them. Turnovers, failure to read blitz, failure to audible, throwing in to double coverage etc. Notice I said we couldn't do worst. .....in a way your right we could go 0-12 with Dak but I highly doubt it. ....like 1 percent chance, especially the team is better over all.

Dak wouldn't be ask to do much, basically don't lose the game which he is much more capable then Weeden or Cassell.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
After watching Prescott's career, there is one thing that I do know: The guy's team mates play hard as they can for him. He has a little bit of that "it" factor. The team rally's around him and believe they have a chance with him at QB.

Remember when Bledsoe was the QB and when Romo came in to relieve him? Remember how the team was just flat with Bledsoe running the offense? The offensive line couldn't protect him at all. Defenders were getting up in his face every time he dropped back.

Then, when Tony went in, the whole offense looked like a completely different unit. The blocking seemed better. The running seemed better. Heck, even the defense seemed better. The whole team was picked up by Romo going in. What was a lethargic unit suddenly was alive with electricity.

Just going from Bledsoe to Romo made all the difference in the world.

In 2015, the offense just wasn't explosive or dynamic at all. They just couldn't score very much or convert on third downs. They just looked lethargic.

IMO, it wouldn't look that way with Prescott. He has the same... something... that Romo brought to the team all those years ago when he replaced Bledsoe. He will make his mistakes and force some throws, turning the ball over... but the whole team will respond to him and they'll move the ball.

Even when Moore came in for Cassell last year, you could see a difference in the offense with a QB that the team responds better to. That's why I think Dallas would have won a few more games had Moore played instead of Weeden/Cassell.

Am I saying Dak will be as good as Tony? Of course not. But he has the same spark/moxie/excitement that Romo brings to his team.

I don't know if Dak can be a good NFL QB or not... but if his skills grow and match his "it" factor, he'll be a damn good player for Dallas.