DC.COM: Blog: NFL Suspends Williams One Game For Horse-Collar

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
Denver O-Line's has torn up more knees and ankles from chop blocking than Roy Williams could ever dream of doing. Watch a Denver game, it's almost insulting how blatant the guards are when they pull.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;1841576 said:
guess we will not get beat by the t.e. this week.

hidden in this historic thread is this gem.

Look at crazy cowboy with the sarcasm.....

There is a new mayor in awesome town.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1841765 said:
then what's this "golden child" crap you're spewing?

Um, that's mockery of the people who either overpraise him or defend him no matter what (hint: you). It's a reaction to the nauseating and unrelentless spin that surrounds and protects this one "golden" player. He's the board's favorite pet. I didn't call him the third rail of CZ for nothing.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1841778 said:
who says that?
a bunch of you guys including your pal zrinkill. whenever roy does something wrong you guys somehow find a way to make it not roy's fault. it's amazing some people are debating this topic.

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
theebs;1841779 said:
hidden in this historic thread is this gem.

Look at crazy cowboy with the sarcasm.....

There is a new mayor in awesome town.

I forget who he was talking about but he let loose a zinger in the game day thread too.

I think he is getting more fiber in his diet.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
bbgun;1841786 said:
Um, that's mockery of the people who either overpraise him or defend him no matter what (hint: you). It's a reaction to the nauseating and unrelentless spin that surrounds and protects this one "golden" player. He's the board's favorite pet. I didn't call him the third rail of CZ for nothing.

I don't defend him no matter what; however, what I do is defend him from ignoramuses who don't understand the SS position and the game of football in general

I don't even need to hint

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Rampage;1841787 said:
a bunch of you guys including your pal zrinkill. whenever roy does something wrong you guys somehow find a way to make it not roy's fault. it's amazing some people are debating this topic.

really? show me an example of where I do that

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Alexander;1841713 said:
There is nothing about it.

That is where Phillips added his own spice to this debate.

He thinks it should be modified to change to that.

Probably should be.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1841742 said:
NFL suspends Williams for one game
6:43 PM Mon, Dec 17, 2007 | Permalink
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips
The NFL announced that SS Roy Williams has been suspended for one game without pay, punishment for his third horse-collar tackle of the season. From the NFL release:

Grabbing the inside collar of the back of the shoulder pads or jersey, or the inside collar of the side of the shoulder pads or jersey, and immediately pulling down the runner is a 15-yard personal foul penalty. Williams was penalized for making such a tackle against Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb in Sunday’s game in Dallas.
It was the fourth violation of this rule by Williams in the past two seasons. Williams was fined $12,500 for an illegal “horse collar” tackle against the Chicago Bears on September 23 and $15,000 for the same violation against the Buffalo Bills on October 8. He received a $10,000 fine for a “horse collar” tackle against the New York Giants on October 23, 2006.

Williams was warned a suspension was possible after his last violation of the "Roy Williams Rule," so this shouldn't be considered a surprise.

Roy has blatantly broken this rule for years and caused many serious injuries.

NFL coming down on him is justified - he chronically is/has disregarding this rule.

He can avoid this by tackling players head up and not habitually chasing from behind.

Now we can debate merit of rule - thats debatable and I see both sides of that one. But Roy horsecollars all the time, and it's illegal.

coogrfan

Reaction score
EMMITTnROY;1841094 said:
this is ridiculous.. they never even call the horse collar on anyone but Roy.. and yet he gets suspended.. it's a dumb rule.. i thought this was football.. dick butkus would be rolling in his grave if he were dead..

Not so.
"2007: McCree's 'horse-collar' tackle on Vikes' Peterson draws $10K fine"

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3102573

2007: Urlacher fined $7,500 for non-called horse-collar tackle on Chester Taylor"

http://www.purplepride.org/forums/index.php?topic=38951.msg658124

"2007: Cardinals strong safety Adrian Wilson has been fined $10,000 by league officials for a "horse collar" tackle in last Sunday's 31-21 victory over the Lions."

http://flashgamesite.com/gameforum/showthread.php?t=24165

"2007: Shawn Phillips Fined $7500 For Horse Collar Tackle.

http://forum.signonsandiego.com/showthread.php?t=81474

My personal favorite:

"2006: Eagles Matt McCoy plans to appeal fine for his horse-collar tackle of Bush"
http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=17353828&BRD=1675&PAG=461&dept_id=18170&rfi=6

Now if you had said that it only seems to be big news when RW does it, I would agree with you.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
bbgun;1841786 said:
If by favorite pet you mean whipping boy, then I agree.

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
If Brian Dawkins had a career of doing that, and he tore up Terry Glenn's knee in week 14 last year - and then did the same move on Tony Romo the following season. This board would be going absolutely crazy, he could've ended McNabb's career. Adjust Roy, make simple adjustments to your game. Stop being lazy and belly out, I understand if it's a short yardage situation and you're trying to save a game. But don't do it after a 20 yard run when you're caught chasing again.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Roy williams as a topic is getting to be as teeth-grinding as pete rose is on sports radio.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1841795 said:
really? show me an example of where I do that
I don't defend him no matter what; however, what I do is defend him from ignoramuses who don't understand the SS position and the game of football in general

I don't even need to hint

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
theebs;1841805 said:
Roy williams as a topic is getting to be as teeth-grinding as pete rose is on sports radio.

not for me, I actually enjoy pointing out flawed arguments and soundly refuting them