DC.COM: Blog: NFL Suspends Williams One Game For Horse-Collar

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
wileedog;1841705 said:
Where in the rule is there anything about falling on his legs?

There is nothing about it.

That is where Phillips added his own spice to this debate.

He thinks it should be modified to change to that.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
bbgun;1841679 said:
If our "elite, top five" safety can't comply with a rule, just attack the rule. Besides, Roy is not responsible for his actions. Only haters would expect him to get with the program.

When you start agreeing with bigbadroy aka "Rampage," you need to seriously consider re-evaluating your position.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
superpunk;1841466 said:
It's the rule, whatever.

Football is a dangerous sport, played by dangerous people who are blown up to enormous proportions. There are any number of things that are incredibly dangerous. Now, we have a postage-stamp sized portion of QB taht defenders are allowed to hit, and a method of tackling that ensures the runner's progress is stopped by players with strong hands is outlawed.If that's what people want, bravo. Not for me.

Roy violated the rule, he gets what he gets. I just think the rule is bogus. Maybe soon we can get women on the field.

Already done my man here you go

http://www.womensprofootball.com/

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
TEK2000;1841704 said:
What are you talking about Hostile. Don't you know that the only time players are injured when tackled from behind is when someone grabs them from the collar?

http://img266.*************/img266/2377/roytackleswatsonfn2.jpg
Thank you.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
peplaw06;1841714 said:
When you start agreeing with bigbadroy aka "Rampage," you need to seriously consider re-evaluating your position.

he'll take anything right about now I suppose, poor guy

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Alexander;1841713 said:

No, it used to include that.

Well, maybe not. Maybe it was just "immediately" pulling down the runner.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Alexander;1841713 said:

the part in the rule book is that you can't use your weight while pulling down

wileedog

Reaction score
stealth;1841711 said:
dude, its not where he grabs the guy that hurts him at all, its how he falls on him after he grabs him.

No, its the physics if having your neck grabbed and your body torqued backwards while your legs may be planted in an awkward position.

It has nothing to do with falling on the player. IIRC Williams didn't land on TO's legs either.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
wileedog;1841721 said:
No, its the physics if having your neck grabbed and your body torqued backwards while your legs may be planted in an awkward position.

It has nothing to do with falling on the player. IIRC Williams didn't land on TO's legs either.

you can't use your weight to bring down a player while tackling him by the shoulder pads

TEK2000

Reaction score
wileedog;1841721 said:

He didn't. TO's legs got tangled under his own body... not Roy's.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
peplaw06;1841714 said:
when you and others fail to see this player is not the good player he once was and is now only hurting his own team than you will have finally used your brain. man i hope you know more about the legal system than football

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Charles Tillman just tackled Robert Ferguson by grabbing the inside of the back of his shoulder pads.

No flag. No injury.

superpunk

Reaction score
Horse-collar website

Also, Robert Ferguson just got horsecollared by Charles Tillman, but Tillman didn't do it well enough, so no flag was thrown. He did prevent the TD initially, tho.

jimmy40

Reaction score
wayne motley;1841485 said:
You guys defending the horsecollar on McNabb are making me shake my head. Roy could have easily made that tackle...he ran McNabb down from behind.

If you're going to try and tell me that a gimply McNabb can outrun Roy Williams when Roy already can reach out and touch him and grab his shoulder without even leaning or diving, then maybe it's time for slowwwwww Roy to retire.

That should have been a very easy wrap up tackle with Roy on top of McNabb on the ground.
It's impossible to tackle someone from behind without the horse collar, it's been proven by 7 or 8 experts in this thread.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Rampage;1841725 said:
when you and others fail to see this player is not the good player he once was and is now only hurting his own team than you will have finally used your brain. man i hope you know more about the legal system than football
:lmao2:

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
wileedog;1841721 said:

whatever I am done arguing with people on this thread, there is no convincing you or any of the others of what I think so I am gonna go put on a pair of fairy wings and see if I can fly

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chocolate Lab;1841686 said:
You know, I have no problem with the rule or the suspension.

But ... I thought for a penalty to be called, the rule was that you had to both

1) Grab the inside of the shoulder pads, not just the jersey, and

2) Fall with your weight on the back of the player.

Roy definitely didn't do 2), and it looks like he might not even have done 1).

horsecollar.jpg

Did they change the language of the rule? Adam?
NFL suspends Williams for one game
6:43 PM Mon, Dec 17, 2007 | Permalink
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips
The NFL announced that SS Roy Williams has been suspended for one game without pay, punishment for his third horse-collar tackle of the season. From the NFL release:

Grabbing the inside collar of the back of the shoulder pads or jersey, or the inside collar of the side of the shoulder pads or jersey, and immediately pulling down the runner is a 15-yard personal foul penalty. Williams was penalized for making such a tackle against Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb in Sunday’s game in Dallas.
It was the fourth violation of this rule by Williams in the past two seasons. Williams was fined $12,500 for an illegal “horse collar” tackle against the Chicago Bears on September 23 and $15,000 for the same violation against the Buffalo Bills on October 8. He received a $10,000 fine for a “horse collar” tackle against the New York Giants on October 23, 2006.

Williams was warned a suspension was possible after his last violation of the "Roy Williams Rule," so this shouldn't be considered a surprise.

Kilyin

Reaction score
wileedog;1841721 said:

He didn't, Owens' cleats were stuck in the grass... so it was actually the ground that broke his leg.

To.gif

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
jimmy40;1841730 said:
It's impossible to tackle someone from behind without the horse collar, it's been proven by 7 or 8 experts in this thread.
Link?