DC search will include external candidates

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I’m 100% for hiring an outside guy who has run a 3-4. Al Harris has been an excellent secondary position coach, but we are not “all in” if we put a guy in charge who hasn’t coached other positions or coordinated a defense, making game plans and making in game adjustments.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Machota says the names to look for from external candidates are Rivera, Vrabel, Martindale, Staley and Zimmer.
Maybe Staley. The rest have been around long enough to know better. Joining the coaching staff of a head coach in the final year of his contract on a team with the weird dynamic of the owner being the GM, only the most desperate of candidates would consider a position with the Dallas Cowboys.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
What did Ron Rivera accomplish at Wash that even remotely excites this FO ? Please no more guys living off the fumes of past SB glory from the not so recent seasons .
The Dallas Cowboys are the franchise that is “living off the fumes of past SB glory”. Perfect match, if only Rivera was dumb enough to consider joining MM’s staff with his star player, “Mr. Podcast” leading the way.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
YAndum9.jpg
Mike Nolan

Quite frankly, Brian Schottenheimer

The one person I would trust less to hire a coordinator than Jerry would be Mike freaking McCarthy.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Titans are paying Mike Vrabel $8M this coming season. I wonder if his contract would cancel if he is hired by another team in 2024. It may be in Vrabel's best interest to sit a year.
Unlikely. Unless it's written into his deal he will get paid by the Titans no matter what.

jwitten82

Reaction score
So let me get this right :facepalm: lame duck head coach. Lame Duck quarterback. And you might bring in a new defense.....Automatic failure coming:facepalm:
This upcoming season feels like things are really gonna get bad, but maybe it's for the best. They've proven they can't win with this group, the leadership on this team is poor

khiladi

Reaction score
Just need a filler for a year that MM knows from the past, so when he’s gone, so is the DC.

Big_D

Reaction score
Due diligence is what’s important here. I completely trust this front office.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
From that list, i'm going Staley. Vrabel is more likely to sit out the year and collect his money from Tennessee.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Titans are paying Mike Vrabel $8M this coming season. I wonder if his contract would cancel if he is hired by another team in 2024. It may be in Vrabel's best interest to sit a year.
Coaching contracts are written so if they are hired by another team, the new contract offsets the old.

Say he comes to Dallas for $5 million, Titans still pay him $3 million. If he comes here for 9 million, he gets nothing from the Titans.

so when Moore went to the Chargers last season, Jerry did not pay him his contract value, as I think he got more from LAC. Or Jerry only paid the difference.