DC search will include external candidates

blueblood70

Reaction score
So you're saying Jerry would go with his comfort zone? But you said we can't do that.
No I said I wouldn't do that I want Mike McCarthy and his much of this team to be under pressure all regular season to keep their jobs that way if they can get through that pressure and get into the playoffs again they probably are gonna be better off for it that's why lame duck coaches is not that big a deal I see players all the time step up and we call contract years and have their best years I don't see a difference...

However for me I said my opinion I don't want him to be comfortable at all I don't want the team to be comfortable the defense the players left here that had love her al Harris and Dan Quinn I want a complete change on defense....

Ohh no if you notice but I don't really care who owns this team or who the GM is I I don't have any control of what players end up on this field but in my view from what's been going on here it would be best if there was a new defensive scheme and a whole new defensive department of coaches...

By the way Mike Zimmer I said would be would I think it would be his favorite choice given I think he's always wanted Mike Zimmer back here and if the opportunity arose he would be very comfortable with that but that's not what's gonna make this team comfortable I'm talking about the team not Jerry Jones I said that that would be jerryd choice because he knows him and he's always wanted to find a way to bring him back that kind of comfort but not comfort as in it's gonna help us win games.... I want the pressure to be on the head coach and the players and the best way to do that is not have the same coaching staff that we've had the last three years,,,

so at least we get the opportunity to change the defensive side 100% that would be put pressure on the players and the head coach and Mike Zimmer could do that because there is no relationship with the current players or other people on the coaching staff who cares about Jerry Jones how he feels I'm saying that would be a choice he might make but I'm still all for that versus al Harris or anybody else leftover from the old Dan Quinn coaching staff....

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
This is playing right into JJ's hand. He can make his announcement during Super Bowl week. Little does he realize, but most NFL fans are pretty MEH when it comes to teams other than their own's hiring of OC and DC.

RonWashington

Reaction score
Just a question and I think a fair one to ask, with his health can he handle the added pressure of DC?

He’s handled being LB coach on a top D . Sit up in a booth get comfortable and call the attack dogs out

Gambit

Reaction score
He’s handled being LB coach on a top D . Sit up in a booth get comfortable and call the attack dogs out
I think we can all agree there is vastly more pressure on a DC than a LB coach, especially in Dallas.

I'm not saying he isn't interesting just that his health may be a concern, maybe to point he doesn't want more on his plate.

RonWashington

Reaction score
I think we can all agree there is vastly more pressure on a DC than a LB coach, especially in Dallas.

I'm not saying he isn't interesting just that his health may be a concern, maybe to point he doesn't want more on his plate.

You could be right . But the Zimmers Riveras of the coaching carousel don’t excite me in the least .

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In the last 28-29 years, when have we shown to be a “serious” FOOTBALL organization?

Revenue? Absolutely.
Serious with the media? Of course.

Football and football operations? Ha ha!!
I'm sorry, you are incorrect. This organization has been very serious about doing football operations Jerry’s way.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
Mike McCarthy knows Mike Zimmer. Jerry Jones knows Mike Zimmer. IMO, Mike Zimmer is a very good defensive coordinator - he checks a lot of boxes. And if he can pass an eye exam - I give 2/5 odds that he will be named DC. Yeah, he’s about 68 YO - so what? They’d be asking him to coordinate the defense - not PLAY on it.

texan0

Reaction score
Did Minnesota get better?

They had a very flukey 13-4 season with 11-0 record in one score games (very easily could have been an 8-9 team). Despite having a 9 game advantage in the win column, they actually had a negative point differential. They both scored less points and gave up more than the previous year under Zimmer. And then went 7-10 last year.

The Vikings definitely got better WITH Zimmer than they were before he got there. The 4 seasons prior to his arrival they were 24-39-1 with 3 seasons of double digit losses. They went 72-56-1 (.562) with him with zero seasons of 10 losses or more.

13-4 with a negative point differential? Jesus, is that an all time NFL record?

texan0

Reaction score
Mike McCarthy knows Mike Zimmer. Jerry Jones knows Mike Zimmer. IMO, Mike Zimmer is a very good defensive coordinator - he checks a lot of boxes. And if he can pass an eye exam - I give 2/5 odds that he will be named DC. Yeah, he’s about 68 YO - so what? They’d be asking him to coordinate the defense - not PLAY on it.

People don't want to hire an old head coach because there's always a (rarely fulfilled) hope that the coach will be successful and last at least a decade.

But nobody really hires a defensive coordinator with the hope he'll be the long term guy, so I don't see that much of a problem with a 68 year old DC.

DB_Cooper

RubyRidge
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What did Ron Rivera accomplish at Wash that even remotely excites this FO ? Please no more guys living off the fumes of past SB glory from the not so recent seasons .
His defense looked the best of any team in playoffs against Brady.

Gambit

Reaction score
Actually ran a 3-4 his last coordinator gig
He's still a disciple of Lovie Smith and the Tampa cover 2.

I just think we could do better with a more modern eye on Defense, been a long time since he was a coordinator.

But if you tell me it's between him and Zimmer and I had to choose, it would be Ron.