DC search will include external candidates

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
this guy would fit in perfectly with Mike.
fat-Ronnie.jpg
fat ronnie after him and Mike hits a few buffets.

shabazz

Reaction score
Lol lol that or promote from within the DL coach or something silly
If Jerry is smart he would hire from within as almost an interim type thing.

Next season we'll be getting a new Head Coach and having a veteran DC ,like Rivera, signed to a 5 year contract. may not be appealing to a new HC like Belichick or Vrabel who wants to pick their own DC

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mike Nolan

Quite frankly, Brian Schottenheimer

The one person I would trust less to hire a coordinator than Jerry would be Mike freaking McCarthy.
Who hired Mike freaking McCarthy?

Good point about the hires but I would ask this. In reaching the ultimate goal, how effective will your head coach be if he cannot even determine who can be his best coaches in accomplishing it?

Jerry Jones hired Dan Quinn and Kellen Moore. Just how well did his 'better' hires fare?

Just my opinion but I would rather eventually sink-or-sail with a 100% head coaching philosophy and hope the general manager will do his job, which is evaluating the head coach's performance to decide whether to retain or fire him within a reasonable time frame. In contrast, I would not prefer the general manager's input erode his head coach's philosophy by hiring for him coaches, who may seem like the right pieces to support him, but instead ends up always having your team tread water far short of that ultimate goal.

Certainly, McCarthy missed the dartboard completely with Nolan. Schottenheimer did hit but not close to center. Quinn and Moore? Those darts did not hit the bullseye either.

Maybe sink-or-sail. Always tread water. I prefer taking chances with the former.

blueblood70

Reaction score

Mike Zimmer Mike vrabel and Rivera all should be considered... You have to go into these interviews and find out what these guys plans would be with this current roster how they would handle the draft and free agency to fix the defense you picked the best guy and if none of these dudes do it then yeah promote from within but this is pretty serious you can't just go with your comfort zone but I think Mike Zimmer is a bigger target given Jerry's love to bring back familiar names...

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Next season we'll be getting a new Head Coach and having a veteran DC ,like Rivera, signed to a 5 year contract. may not be appealing to a new HC like Belichick or Vrabel who wants to pick their own DC
Vrable reunites with BB duh! lol

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Vrabel is mildly interesting. If he is interested in a DC post — he is the best name on the list.

I am not as down on Rivera as most. Players love that guy and he is known for instilling some grit and toughness in his D— which ours desperately needs.

Ron is getting up there, but at this point— 2024 is looking like hot garbage anyway— so I’d alright with it if Vrabel isn’t interested

blueblood70

Reaction score
Vrabel is mildly interesting. If he is interested in a DC post — he is the best name on the list.

I am not as down on Rivera as most. Players love that guy and he is known for instilling some grit and toughness in his D— which ours desperately needs.

Ron is getting up there, but at this point— 2024 is looking like hot garbage anyway— so I’d alright with it if Vrabel isn’t interested
more so than I don't know how old is Fangio? There's a lot of dudes that were hired recently that are in that up there category lol it's called the coaching carousel the NFL... I remember way back when they rehired that Buffalo head coach he was pretty damn old and also going into the college ranks where they brought back the K state coach that was there forever and then it wasn't going well they brought him back it happens this is part of the sports.... Sometimes somebody's just trying to recreate success.....

rivera 62; fangio 65 Wink is 60

who are the younger guys that are available who are good fits for defensive coordinator here in Dallas nobody wants to hear about durden because he's on the staff I don't think he's worthy..who else?

texan0

Reaction score

Jerry Jones is the only owner in the NFL who might be ******** enough to hire Bill Belichick at his current age. (And actually he'll be a year older next year.)

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Zimmer is 67 - overrated - crusty - players turned on him too .
Minnesota got better after he left so too Cincy .

Stop w this guy
Did Minnesota get better?

They had a very flukey 13-4 season with 11-0 record in one score games (very easily could have been an 8-9 team). Despite having a 9 game advantage in the win column, they actually had a negative point differential. They both scored less points and gave up more than the previous year under Zimmer. And then went 7-10 last year.

The Vikings definitely got better WITH Zimmer than they were before he got there. The 4 seasons prior to his arrival they were 24-39-1 with 3 seasons of double digit losses. They went 72-56-1 (.562) with him with zero seasons of 10 losses or more.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
And by "external" they mean familier names that the Jones are comfortable with and/or shared a beer with at St. Elmo Steak House in Indy the week of the NFL Combine.

Hiring Ron Rivera as DC is liking getting a bread sandwich for dinner. Sure it counts as food but there is no substance to it at all.

Praxit

Reaction score
....the guy at 7/11 on corner of Market and Rosecrans. Said, Jerry came in there asking if he's available for interview.

Apparently, he accolades include running CIF HS championships 8 yrs straight. ;)..

Gambit

Reaction score
Here’s an outsider with SUCCESS . Johnny Holland LB coach at SF . When you watch that entire defense they play with attitude . The LB’s in particular bring it . And Holland has a Packers pedigree from his playing days . Guy was a player can command respect . 49ers have had nothing but success lately .
Just a question and I think a fair one to ask, with his health can he handle the added pressure of DC?

Gambit

Reaction score
can't just go with your comfort zone but I think Mike Zimmer is a bigger target given Jerry's love to bring back familiar names
So you're saying Jerry would go with his comfort zone? But you said we can't do that.