Twitter: DE Kony Ealy to Visit Cowboys

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I like Jones better at DT than DE. He was starting to show a little something late in the year as he got more playing time.

Does anyone know his status with the team. I seen where he was listed as a FA and also listed as a RFA or ERFA. Ten I seen where he is still listed on the roster.

So I am not sure about his status, as if on the roster or some kind of a FA.

Spotrac has him under contract for this season at $790,000. We gave him a tw0-year, $1.5 million deal last year.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
KD Drummond's USA Today post on this says it would cancel out the comp pick we get for Hitchens. I don't get that, how would that happen unless we gave Ealy some ridiculous salary?

I would like the move it if it was a vet minimum deal with incentives, let him compete at LDE with Taco and Crawford.
Yeah, only similar salaries or if the Cowboys have signed more than they lost could do that.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Spotrac has him under contract for this season at $790,000. We gave him a tw0-year, $1.5 million deal last year.

thanks, much appreciated. I can update my spreadsheet then.

My work for the day is done, so now I can go exercise, then, I guess find something else to do. :laugh:

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
You could see the logic considering the Jets play a 3-4. He is little smallish to taking up blocks as a 3-4 end.
You think? He was 273 four years ago, so likely up to 280 area now. That doesn't seem too small to me at the 4-5T position.

jrumann59

Reaction score
You think? He was 273 four years ago, so likely up to 280 area now. That doesn't seem too small to me at the 4-5T position.
yes he is on the outside fringe of a 3-4 DE. They tend to be closer to 300 LBS. And depending on the alignment can be head up on the tackle and maybe even inside shoulder with primary duty to keep bodies off the OLB that is rushing on his side. The 3-4 DE is also more read and react while engaged instead of a 4-3 DE that is to get across the line and reac tto where the ball is.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
he is on a severe downward trend from his stats.

Actually, he had his best year overall statistically in 2016. His only year with the Jets was better only in passes defensed, where he had nine. However, it appears he played through injury last year. As a mostly part-timer, he delivered 4, 5 and 5 sacks his three years in Carolina.

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
He looks like a solid chess piece, like another Tyrone Crawford type but cheaper.
For this year a rotation of Lawrence/Taco/Crawford/Ealy at DE,
Irving + Collins at 3T,
and snag a good 1T in the Draft?
That would be a DL that can take over games.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree on paying him being tricky. Let's say he puts up 12 sacks, 7 PDs and forces a couple of fumbles as well as being consistently disruptive in only a pass rushing role. I'd have trouble not trying to retain that kind of production unless there are some other issues involved, such as being a bad locker-room presence.

However, I believe if he's producing like that, he'll end up getting the lion's share of the snaps at DT. He would probably only not be out there in clear running situations, because we have to spell him some so why not spell him on plays where more beef on the line would be better.

I'm considering him gone after this year until something shows me otherwise. I see a combination of a player playing for free agency and a team still not entirely sold or trusting of him.

That adds up to gone for me unless something changes.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Good.

They need to be doing everything they can with the defensive line.

Stephen Jones mentioned last night to bill jones in an interview that they are still looking at mentioned trades as an option still. Thought that was interesting.

Reaction score
Good.

Stephen Jones mentioned last night to bill jones in an interview that they are still looking at mentioned trades as an option still. Thought that was interesting.

Where was this interview with Bill Jones? I’d like to listen to it...

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Good.

I think that is just Stephen talking large because he finally made a trade this year.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
I think that is just Stephen talking large because he finally made a trade this year.

could be. I just find it interesting because of the Dez situation and the earl Thomas situation. Never know what draft weekend can bring.