Dean Blandino's explanation

mugsybows

Reaction score
Ever? I was wondering why the NFL didn't just release a list of all the different times it's been called by all the different officials over the last five years or whatever.

If true that it's only ever been called twice, that's every bit as egregious as the Dez call.
from my understanding its only been called twice ever and both by correnti. i heard it was only called twice ever before the interview and ben and skin confirmed it with blandino there as well. said correnti called it the first time and it helped the cowboys in 1984 i believe.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
Everyone remembers the phantom PI call on Barnes in the SB and the league admitted it was a bad call, resulting in the incidental contact rule a few months later. If you're not blaming Blandino for the Butler call then why do you keep bashing him saying he's a clown who isn't qualified to hold the position he has? I don't make anything up, once the league announced the Butler call was a bad call you went right back to bashing Blandino. Blandino is responsible for the officials and he has to take the heat when they make mistakes, which is why the position he holds is a thankless job and he's in a no win situation with the fans.
You're the one that said no bad calls had gone against Dallas in a big game. I simply gave an obvious example.
As for the Butler call, you absolutely mad it up. I did not in any way blame that call on Blandino, as you incorrectly stated that I did.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
There are times where I think the refs should be able to give warnings.

They do. This was a ticky tacky call and should never be enforced. Refs should use their common sense. I've reffed basketball and football. You cannot call them all or you won't have a game. It's my understanding that has been called twice period.....in the history of the league.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Why don't you let it go and move on? You jump into every official-related thread that has ever been bstarted here. Simply sta out of the fray if it bothers you.
Also for the record, I have never said (nor do I believe) there is a conspiracy against Dallas. I do, however , question the integrityt of dean Blandino. All NFL officials will be viewed in a less than stellar light as long as Blandino is the VP of Officiating, as far as many fans are concerned. Nothing you spin will change that.

You need to move on, you're responding to me. You jump into official related threads yourself so don't tell me to move on. If something bothers me and I don't agree I'm going to give my opinion and if you don't like it that's too bad. You can question the integrity of anyone you want, it's easy to talk **** sitting behind a monitor on a FAN board thinking you know who isn't qualified for league jobs.

LandryFan

Reaction score
If you're referring to the Dez call that wasn't incorrectly overturned. Let it go!
Your arrogance is jumping out there again. I'm not going to reargue the specifics, but Blandino absolutely 100% screwed up by overturning that call. I could almost live with it if it was due to plain incompetence. But no, he was hell bent on showing the world that he wasn't biased FOR Dallas. With that, he showed th world his lack of integrity. End of that story.
I appreciate your heartfelt concern for me by telling me to let it go, and I could tell you to let your relentless defense of that clown in charge of the officials go but I won't, because that would just be arrogant of me.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
from my understanding its only been called twice ever and both by correnti. i heard it was only called twice ever before the interview and ben and skin confirmed it with blandino there as well. said correnti called it the first time and it helped the cowboys in 1984 i believe.
It was 2014 Monday night vs. the Skins.

But if this really has only been called twice ever, then what we have is a ref gone rogue. The difference made by the call was 1st and 10 at their 15 vs. 2nd and 20 at our 48.

mugsybows

Reaction score
It was 2014 Monday night vs. the Skins.

But if this really has only been called twice ever, then what we have is a ref gone rogue. The difference made by the call was 1st and 10 at their 15 vs. 2nd and 20 at our 48.
good call i knew it was a year ending in 4. i was waaaaaaay off.

LandryFan

Reaction score
You need to move on, you're responding to me. You jump into official related threads yourself so don't tell me to move on. If something bothers me and I don't agree I'm going to give my opinion and if you don't like it that's too bad. You can question the integrity of anyone you want, it's easy to talk **** sitting behind a monitor on a FAN board thinking you know who isn't qualified for league jobs.
You're forgetting that you're also JUST A FAN, and you're also talking ****. You don't have any more knowledge than I do on who is or isn't qualified for league jobs. And as I stated earlier, if you have some credentials that elevates you above the lowly FAN level, then please do enlighten us all.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
When you, as VP of Officiating have never been an on-field official, you are not qualified to be in that position, IMO. He can play all the video games he wants, but that doesn't make him qualified for that position. It's really that simple. But then, I guess I'm supposed to go with a Joe schmoe FAN like you. Where are your credentials? Either identify yourself as dean Blandino himself, or quit acting like you're any more qualified to have an opinion than me (or anyone else on his site). Your arrogance knows no bounds.

You're opinion of who's qualified and who isn't is worthless unless you can show you've held a high ranking NFL job. I don't need credentials to give an opinion that Blandino is qualified when I've gone through his resume and everyone in the league says he's qualified to hold the position he has. I base my opinions on facts and what people that hold high ranking NFL jobs have to say. I don't just come to my own conclusions that someone isn't qualified for a job and is a clown because a couple of officiating calls didn't go our way.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You're the one that said no bad calls had gone against Dallas in a big game. I simply gave an obvious example.
As for the Butler call, you absolutely mad it up. I did not in any way blame that call on Blandino, as you incorrectly stated that I did.

I never said no bad calls never went against the Cowboys in big games you better go back and read again. lol I didn't make anything up, you're back to bashing Blandino due to the Butler call. You're giving the impression you're blaming him for it.

LandryFan

Reaction score
You're opinion of who's qualified and who isn't is worthless unless you can show you've held a high ranking NFL job. I don't need credentials to give an opinion that Blandino is qualified when I've gone through his resume and everyone in the league says he's qualified to hold the position he has. I base my opinions on facts and what people that hold high ranking NFL jobs have to say. I don't just come to my own conclusions that someone isn't qualified for a job and is a clown because a couple of officiating calls didn't go our way.
And your opinion of who is qualified for that position is worth just as much, or little, as mine.
Nor do I need credentials to give an opinion that he's an unqualified, no integrity clown.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Your arrogance is jumping out there again. I'm not going to reargue the specifics, but Blandino absolutely 100% screwed up by overturning that call. I could almost live with it if it was due to plain incompetence. But no, he was hell bent on showing the world that he wasn't biased FOR Dallas. With that, he showed th world his lack of integrity. End of that story.
I appreciate your heartfelt concern for me by telling me to let it go, and I could tell you to let your relentless defense of that clown in charge of the officials go but I won't, because that would just be arrogant of me.

The overturn of Dez's play was the correct call and the league confirmed it was the correct call. I've gone through that play frame by frame more than 100 times and according to the RULE Dez CLEALY did not complete the process of making the catch. Let it go!

LandryFan

Reaction score
I never said no bad calls never went against the Cowboys in big games you better go back and read again. lol I didn't make anything up, you're back to bashing Blandino due to the Butler call. You're giving the impression you're blaming him for it.
Go look at your opening sentence in post #51.
You stated "That's because we never had a controversial call go agains us in a playoff game".
So yes, you did say no bad calls had gone against us in big games. In fact, you state that specifically.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You're forgetting that you're also JUST A FAN, and you're also talking ****. You don't have any more knowledge than I do on who is or isn't qualified for league jobs. And as I stated earlier, if you have some credentials that elevates you above the lowly FAN level, then please do enlighten us all.

I'm an educated fan not a homer...big difference! I have the knowledge to know what the catch RULE is and what a receiver has to do to make a legal catch under the RULE and Dez didn't complete the process of making a legal catch under the RULE. I don't like the RULE but I understand the RULE and am not in denial over it. My credentials of being above the FANS here is being able to see things clearly and objectively. It's being able to understand RULES and accepting them even if I don't like them.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
And your opinion of who is qualified for that position is worth just as much, or little, as mine.
Nor do I need credentials to give an opinion that he's an unqualified, no integrity clown.

I'm more qualified because I deal with facts and you don't. You come off like a typical armchair FAN who thinks they know better than the league. I get my information from research which helps me form some of my opinions, while your opinions are based on how calls and decisions affect the Cowboys. The only way for Blandino to look credible in your eyes is for every call go our way.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Go look at your opening sentence in post #51.
You stated "That's because we never had a controversial call go agains us in a playoff game".
So yes, you did say no bad calls had gone against us in big games. In fact, you state that specifically.

I was referring to the time we've been posting on this board, as far as checking your archives to see what you've posted about the officiating. There's no controversial calls that have gone against us in playoff/elimination games prior to the Dez call since we've been posting on this board. I wasn't talking about 20 plus years ago and what happened on the Barnes play in the SB 39 years ago. Would be pretty hard to find out if you were bashing the VP of officiating then. lol

Last edited:

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
I'm more qualified because I deal with facts and you don't. You come off like a typical armchair FAN who thinks they know better than the league. I get my information from research which helps me form some of my opinions...
If you've done your research you know that the league doesn't even agree with itself about what constitutes a catch.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
If you've done your research you know that the league doesn't even agree with itself about what constitutes a catch.

They had no idea what a "football move" was which is why they eliminated it from the rulebook. They could never explain it to anyone's satisfaction. They're not thrilled with the catch rule either but they feel the best way to remove as much judgement as possible and get the call right is to force the receiver to complete a step by step process by maintaining control of the ball all the way through the contact of the ground.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
They had no idea what a "football move" was which is why they eliminated it from the rulebook. They could never explain it to anyone's satisfaction. They're not thrilled with the catch rule either but they feel the best way to remove as much judgement as possible and get the call right is to force the receiver to complete a step by step process by maintaining control of the ball all the way through the contact of the ground.
The "football move" was put back in the rule book before the 2016 season.

A player has the ball long enough to become a runner when, after his second foot is on the ground, he is capable of avoiding or warding off impending contact of an opponent, tucking the ball away, turning up field, or taking additional steps.​

It was reinstated after a one-year hiatus, because of all the problems officials had trying to determine whether the receiver had established himself as a runner without an observable act to base that on. Blandino hadn't realized the importance of having an observable requirement, probably because he's never been a field official. Now, officials are back to looking for the football move to complete the catch process, as they had been doing until the 2015 season.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The "football move" was put back in the rule book in before the 2016 season.

A player has the ball long enough to become a runner when, after his second foot is on the ground, he is capable of avoiding or warding off impending contact of an opponent, tucking the ball away, turning up field, or taking additional steps.​

It was reinstated after a one-year hiatus, because of all the problems officials had trying to determine whether the receiver had established himself as a runner without an observable act to base that on. Blandino hadn't realized the importance of having an observable requirement, probably because he's never been a field official. Now, officials are back to looking for the football move to complete the catch process, as they had been doing until the 2015 season.

It took them a year to figure out how to explain what a "football move" is. Check and see if they still have the term "an act comment to the game" in the rulebook. That seems like it would be harder to explain than a "football move."