Dean Blandino's explanation

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Any QB in the league could do what Rodgers does regarding too many men on the field during substitutions.
However, I don't think any rule should be allowed to be abused, even if correct by the wording of the rule, to give an unfair advantage. If a team is in the hurry up, then fine, but rushing to the line intentionally just to get a penalty called while a guy is clearly running off the field and can't quite get there before the QB calls for the snap is just BS. That's not the intention of the rule, nor does it benefit the quality of play in a game. I don't believe it's what fans want to see, either.

The league should just tell Rodgers that if he rushes out of the huddle to intentionally abuse the rule to gain 5 yards, not with the intention of actually running a play faster, that they will stop him and not allow it. End of problem.

exactly and amazing how the Packers NEVER have an illegal formation on the play

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
the real question for me is, just who exactly sent out butler incorrectly ? or did butler ***** up? yes it was a dumb call by the refs but someone else screwed up on the cowboys bench.....

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
the real question for me is, just who exactly sent out butler incorrectly ? or did butler ***** up? yes it was a dumb call by the refs but someone else screwed up on the cowboys bench.....

Something we did confused the officials so part of the blame goes on us.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
I'm an educated fan not a homer...big difference! I have the knowledge to know what the catch RULE is and what a receiver has to do to make a legal catch under the RULE and Dez didn't complete the process of making a legal catch under the RULE. I don't like the RULE but I understand the RULE and am not in denial over it. My credentials of being above the FANS here is being able to see things clearly and objectively. It's being able to understand RULES and accepting them even if I don't like them.
I was referring to the time we've been posting on this board, as far as checking your archives to see what you've posted about the officiating. There's no controversial calls that have gone against us in playoff/elimination games prior to the Dez call since we've been posting on this board. I wasn't talking about 20 plus years ago and what happened on the Barnes play in the SB 39 years ago. Would be pretty hard to find out if you were bashing the VP of officiating then. lol
I can only reply to what you actually post, not what you meant to post. My opinions are every bit as informed as yours, BTW. You give yourself WAY too much credit. You are a FAN the same as most everyone else here. Quit talking like you'r something more

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
It took them a year to figure out how to explain what a "football move" is.
I think it was taken out because 2014's "advance with it" was what caused the big problem for Blandino in his explanation of the overturn of Dez's catch. As the league had already established, a player reaching to try to break the plane is considered to be advancing with the ball.

long enough to pitch the ball, pass it, advance with it, or avoid or ward off an opponent, etc.

2015 ("advance with it" is removed)
long enough to avoid or ward off impending contact of an opponent.

2016 ("advance with it" is reinstated in more specific terms)
long enough to avoid or ward off an opponent, tuck the ball away, turn up field, or take additional steps.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I can only reply to what you actually post, not what you meant to post. My opinions are every bit as informed as yours, BTW. You give yourself WAY too much credit. You are a FAN the same as most everyone else here. Quit talking like you'r something more

You said you never once complained about anyone that preceded Blandino and no one would know that unless it took place in a discussion on this board. I give myself credit for giving honest, unbiased opinions and researching the topics I debate so I'm informed. I've read many opinions on Blandino from those who get paid to talk football and those who hold high positions in the league and they've all given good reviews of him. You come off as a very uninformed, angry, armchair FAN claiming Blandino is a clown who's not qualified to have the position he has because of a couple of calls that didn't go our way. That's the impression you've given.

I'm a fan, not a FAN as in homer. We're never going to come close to seeing eye to eye on this topic so why don't you do us both a favor and ignore my comments from now on and stop initiating these arguments. We've been through this many times before and there's no point in going another several pages arguing the same exact things we've argued to no avail months ago.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Ripkoswki ran the ball on the previous play, so he was already in the game. Not a penalty unless he had come out of the game, then ran back onto the field and been part of the huddle before leaving again. The penalty only applies to substitutes, IOW.

The big problem with Corrente's call is that he's apparently the only one who's ever called it.
Even if the Packers did nothing wrong.

butlersub.0.jpg

I have never seen a huddle in my entire life that the QB was not in it. You know what you call a huddle without a QB? 10 guys shooting the crap.

LandryFan

Reaction score
You said you never once complained about anyone that preceded Blandino and no one would know that unless it took place in a discussion on this board. I give myself credit for giving honest, unbiased opinions and researching the topics I debate so I'm informed. I've read many opinions on Blandino from those who get paid to talk football and those who hold high positions in the league and they've all given good reviews of him. You come off as a very uninformed, angry, armchair FAN claiming Blandino is a clown who's not qualified to have the position he has because of a couple of calls that didn't go our way. That's the impression you've given.

I'm a fan, not a FAN as in homer. We're never going to come close to seeing eye to eye on the topic so why don't you do us both a favor and ignore my comments and stop initiating these arguments. We've been through this many times before and there's no point in going another several pages arguing the same exact things we've argued to no avail months ago.
The upside is that I don't give a crap how I come off to you. Like you said earlier, if somebody says something that I strongly disagree with, I'll probably reply. If you don't want to debate with me, simply put me on ignore.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The upside is that I don't give a crap how I come off to you. Like you said earlier, if somebody says something that I strongly disagree with, I'll probably reply. If you don't want to debate with me, simply put me on ignore.

You're coming off bad to a lot more than just me and if you want to keep going, keep bringing it and keep showing how uninformed you are and that you do no research. You're opinions are purely biased, armchair FAN opinions. Everything you say is based on YOUR opinion and how credible could that be?

LandryFan

Reaction score
You're coming off bad to a lot more than just me and if you want to keep going, keep bringing it and keep showing how uninformed you are and that you do no research. You're opinions are purely biased, armchair FAN opinions. Everything you say is based on YOUR opinion and how credible could that be?
Everyone here posts opinions and is a FAN...you included. The thing is, I am not delusional like a few here.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Even if the Packers did nothing wrong.

I have never seen a huddle in my entire life that the QB was not in it. You know what you call a huddle without a QB? 10 guys shooting the crap.
Right, that's not a huddle anyway. Although I think the rule is that he was inside the numbers, or some similar garbage.

My thing is, that penalty has been called twice in the entire history of...penalties. System error.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Everyone here posts opinions and is a FAN...you included. The thing is, I am not delusional like a few here.

Your definition of a FAN is different than mine because I'm a realist and you come off like a homer. Your opinion is laced with bias which clouds your views. You said several times "IMO" then gave YOUR opinion of Blandino which isn't based on any research, it's based on anger and frustration over a couple of calls that didn't go our way. My opinion of him is based on research, including his resume and what those around the league have said about him and they don't share your opinion. I don't just dream things about about someone because I didn't agree with an officiating call. I get pissed off about the officiating just like everyone else but I sympathize with the officials because it's a tough job and mistakes are going to be made. They don't want to make mistakes because it puts a negative light on them and the league. One mistake by an official puts a bad light on the entire crew. I'm amazed how many calls the officials get right before they're replayed. Not all the officials are going to see everything and sometimes they have to go with whichever official saw the infraction.

The Dez call that you and others still haven't come to grips with was the correct call under the RULE and the replay shows it. The league confirmed it was the correct call under the RULE and those who keep saying we got screwed are blind *** homers or are in denial about what the replay CLEARLY shows. One FAN is still arguing the ball never touched the ground when there's a CLEAR PICTURE of the ball touching the ground. LOL Some are arguing the ball never came loose when it CLEARLY came loose. The Butler call could have been avoided if we handled things better on the sidelines which caused confusion.

We ended up drawing the damn call because of the way we handled it. I don't live in a world of excuses and I'm sure as hell not going to blame the officiating because our defense continues to choke in the playoffs. It was the way we played that got us beat, giving up 3 first possession TD's that put us in a hole. We did that against Detroit in week 16 in the first half and that was a red flag we were going to be in trouble if we face Rodgers or Atlanta's high powered offense in the playoffs. You could see cracks forming on the defense late in the season and we broke in the playoffs and it wasn't the officials fault.

rpntex

Reaction score
I never said no bad calls never went against the Cowboys in big games you better go back and read again. lol I didn't make anything up, you're back to bashing Blandino due to the Butler call. You're giving the impression you're blaming him for it.

"That's because we never had a controversial call go against us in a playoff game."

KJJ - post #51

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
"That's because we never had a controversial call go against us in a playoff game."

KJJ - post #51

You might want to try following the discussion because that's already been covered. The guy I'm arguing with said "he never complained about anyone that preceded Blandino" and I said because we never had a controversial call go against the Cowboys in the playoffs meaning prior to the Dez call while we've been members of this board. I'm talking about what's been said on this board over the years which the archives document. No one one knows what he was saying 39 years ago when Barns got flagged for that PI in the SB. By the way "bad calls" and "controversial calls" are not the same. The Dez call was "controversial" but it wasn't a "bad call." The Butler call was a "bad call."

Last edited:

rpntex

Reaction score
You might want to try following the discussion because that's already been covered. The guy I'm arguing with said "he never complained about anyone that preceded Blandino" and I said because we never had a controversial call go against the Cowboys in the playoffs meaning prior to the Dez call while we've been members of this board. I'm talking about what's been said on this board over the years which the archives document. No one one knows what he was saying 39 years ago when Barns got flagged for that PI in the SB. By the way "bad calls" and "controversial calls" are not the same. The Dez call was "controversial" but it wasn't a "bad call." The Butler call was a "bad call."

Oh, I've been following the discussion. What you said is exactly as I quoted. If you want to come back and justify it to make yourself look good in your own mind, be my guest... but you know what you said.

Too bad your arrogance won't allow you just to say "I was mistaken" or, "my mistake… what I meant was…". If you would just be a standup guy and own it, you'd be surprised at the reaction you would get. Contrary to what you choose to believe, you're the only one coming across looking bad in this thread.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Oh, I've been following the discussion. What you said is exactly as I quoted. If you want to come back and justify it to make yourself look good in your own mind, be my guest... but you know what you said.

Too bad your arrogance won't allow you just to say "I was mistaken" or, "my mistake… what I meant was…". If you would just be a standup guy and own it, you'd be surprised at the reaction you would get. Contrary to what you choose to believe, you're the only one coming across looking bad in this thread.

There wasn't any mistake you're just trying to start an argument. That makes you look bad. Controversial and bad calls are different. If you don't like me defending the officiating too bad. Everyone who says we got screwed on the Dez call and that there's a conspiracy against the Cowboys not only look bad but look ridiculous.