Deion Interviews TO At Halftime of Tonight's Game

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
khiladi;2433302 said:
The only category where Jason Witten performed better than last year is in terms of yardage and number of catches. The number of first downs he has made as well as TDs has significantly declined from last year to this year, even if one projects it for the whole season. The last game, he had only two catches.

and How much complaining has he done?

How much of a distraction is he?

Witten has a bad shoulder, a broken rib and he is in there mixing it up with the big boys when he is not running routes.

and suprise suprise. No complaining.

nothing but hard work and dedication to his team, that is why he is a leader.

khiladi

Reaction score
theebs;2433298 said:
when has owens made anything happen catching the ball short?

The cincy play he wasnt pressed and ran through a wide open middle of the field, just like crayton did in zona.

Other than the TD against carolina name one play since owens has been here where he caught a ball short, made a guy miss or broke a tackle and turned it into a big play.

At some point you have to stop trying to get the guy the ball in that situation, just look at last weeks game, he cant do anything with it anymore.

He is now James lofton of the bills in the early 90s. Go deep, get open and make the big catch.

Because that is how he is used. He is used primarily as a downfield vertical threat receiver, with short passes being a 'secondary' issue. The only real game we saw him being used in the style that is conducive to his talents was the first game last year against the Eagles, where he was lined up all over the field, in motion and in the slot..TO absolutely destroyed the Eagles...

juck

Reaction score
theebs;2433292 said:
well, parcells offense works.

no matter how many people tell you he is conservative on a message board.

Look at penningtons numbers this year. then go look at carter, testaverde, bledsoe and romo. they are similar. that is a solid offense and with the quality coaches they have it is working again.

Dan Henning runs the miami offense. I am sure sporano has a huge say in it, but henning runs the offense. Parcells wanted henning here, he could never get out of his contract in carolina of course until parcells was gone.

I was hoping for parcells back in 07 with henning. Miami has Henning, sporano and guys like David Lee coaching qb's.

Pretty solid group.

BP sucks at coaching.He didnt do jack for us.He is overated drama queen.
Miami isnt going anywhere.

khiladi

Reaction score
theebs;2433308 said:
and How much complaining has he done?

How much of a distraction is he?

Witten has a bad shoulder, a broken rib and he is in there mixing it up with the big boys when he is not running routes.

and suprise suprise. No complaining.

nothing but hard work and dedication to his team, that is why he is a leader.

That is irrelevant to production. The fact is, Witten's numbers have declined dramatically in key areas, such as first downs. He is absolutely key in maintaining possession for the offense, which is probably his biggest asset... But with good old Garrett, he too has declined in what he excels at...

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
tyke1doe;2433301 said:
You know, T.O. may fear getting older and the impact it has on his play, and maybe he's trying to cover up for that by blaming the offensive scheme.
Yeah, but how can the argument be centered on his age when he has played the blame game elsewhere as a younger player?

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
khiladi;2433309 said:
Because that is how he is used. He is used primarily as a downfield vertical threat receiver, with short passes being a 'secondary' issue. The only real game we saw him being used in the style that is conducive to his talents was the first game last year against the Eagles, where he was lined up all over the field, in motion and in the slot..TO absolutely destroyed the Eagles...

so in your opinion this team has not tried to get owens the ball in his hands quickly and make plays only to see him unable to do so?

I have a different opinion. Its equal to yours and we are both probably somehwere in the middle of being right, but it is hard to argue with what we have seen this season.

Laufenberg has been saying it for 3 years. You press him, he gets frustrated and he then runs poor routes and loses focus as the game goes on.

before last weeks game he broke down owens running lazy routes against washington and not being able to beat the jam and get into the route. He then showed santana moss running the same routes and how much different they looked.

khiladi

Reaction score
You can go to Patrick Crayton as well... While he has dropped passes, his number of catches has dropped considerably since last year. He isn't getting as many first downs or making any impact in terms of catches...Sorry, I don't think Crayton drops that much to warrant such a significant decline in those areas...

khiladi

Reaction score
theebs;2433320 said:
so in your opinion this team has not tried to get owens the ball in his hands quickly and make plays only to see him unable to do so?

I have a different opinion. Its equal to yours and we are both probably somehwere in the middle of being right, but it is hard to argue with what we have seen this season.

Laufenberg has been saying it for 3 years. You press him, he gets frustrated and he then runs poor routes and loses focus as the game goes on.

before last weeks game he broke down owens running lazy routes against washington and not being able to beat the jam and get into the route. He then showed santana moss running the same routes and how much different they looked.

It is easy to hand-pick routes where it appears that a WR isn't getting open or not beating the jams... I don't have the film to actually analyze it, but I'm sure one can findplenty of tape where Santana Moss was completely flustered by Nemwan and breaking them off... That last play where Newman had him draped on the fourth, Moss looked busted running that crap.. He even tried yapping at Newman...
The fact is TO, destroyed the eagles game one of last year and there was a significant difference in how he was used that game and this game... Hell, they have only one audible when Romo sense the blitx, that stupid kill, where everybody just goes long...

aikemirv

Reaction score
khiladi;2433302 said:
The only category where Jason Witten performed better than last year is in terms of yardage and number of catches. The number of first downs he has made as well as TDs has significantly declined from last year to this year, even if one projects it for the whole season. The last game, he had only two catches.

You mean the one he was playing with a broken rib and dropped a pass that was going to be good for 15-20 yards - that game?

Or the 4 before it when he was injured and he had scrubs throwing him the ball?

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Goofy Irvin is talking about this right now.

he just laughed and said the offense is built for owens, he is the x and that is where the ball goes. He said he is being double teamed and the other guys need to help him by forcing that double team off.

he said he doesnt do enough with his opportunities.

He laughed again and said it is the same offense he led the league in TDs and had all those catches and yards last year.

khiladi

Reaction score
aikemirv;2433331 said:
You mean the one he was playing with a broken rib and dropped a pass in that was going to be good for 15-20 yards - that game?

Or the 4 before it when he was injured and he had scrubs throwing him the ball?

TO also played in those games.. In that 15 game 'analysis' people keep talking baout, TO had a high ankle sprain and Witten wasn't injured... Witten didn't do much... They played 10 games this year... Jason Witten has 28 first downs compared to 56 last year... His YAC this year are his best in the last 3 years, at 4.4 YAC... If you don't take into account those games, his production is still lower than normal in that area...Pay close attention... Nobody is knocking Jason Witten... Somebody else is being knocked...

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
theebs;2433336 said:

he just laughed and said the offense is built for owens, he is the x and that is where the ball goes. He said he is being double teamed and the other guys need to help him by forcing that double team off.

He laughed again and said it is the same offense he led the league in TDs and had all those catches and yards last year.
I hope that his audio is posted here for me to hear it in context. If you're relaying this correctly, and there isn't any reason for you not to :) , my first thought is, "Why is Irvin talking about Owens being ineffective because of double teams and deflecting the only solution to Phillips/Garrett to implement?" During his career, Irvin made no excuses about beating double teams. He just went out there and did it. Now, if Owens has his respect as being a premier wide receiver, shouldn't he expect Owens to be productive despite the same double teams just like he had to?

khiladi

Reaction score
theebs;2433336 said:

Yeah, he is the 'x', but that doesn't mean Jason Garrett is using the 'x' like Norv did... Liek I said, count how many times JG runs the play-action next time you watch.. How can you get a safety to bite, when you rarely run an effective play-action?
Irvin beat 'double-teams' on an effective play-action, plus because he had the most accurate passer in the league, who was the man when it came to the timing offense and threading the needle on post-routes... That team ran to set up the pass... The safeties would often bite on that play-action...Tony Romo is many times creating plays off his feet, unlike Aikman... Like I said, it is like street-ball with this offense many times..

Doomsday101

Reaction score
khiladi;2433349 said:
TO also played in those games.. In that 15 game 'analysis' people keep talking baout, TO had a high ankle sprain and Witten wasn't injured... Witten didn't do much... They played 10 games this year... Jason Witten has 28 first downs compared to 56 last year... His YAC this year are his best in the last 3 years, at 4.4 YAC... If you don't take into account those games, his production is still lower than normal in that area...Pay close attention... Nobody is knocking Jason Witten... Somebody else is being knocked...

Jason Witten is not crying to Deion. Witten cries to no one he just goes out and does the job both as a receiver and a blocker. Many of the big runs Barber had Witten was helping lead the way. Personally I think TO is a good player and because of the attention he draws he helps the team, he is also not afraid to block down field but he is going to catch grief when he complains

aikemirv

Reaction score
khiladi;2433349 said:

Yep, you're knocking Garrett, T.O. is knocking Garrett and somebosy else is getting knocked because he won't shut his trap.

But none of this has to do with protection I guess either:eek:

khiladi

Reaction score
Doomsday101;2433355 said:
Jason Witten is not crying to Deion. Witten cries to no one he just goes out and does the job both as a receiver and a blocker. Many of the big runs Barber had Witten was helping lead the way. Personally I think TO is a good player and because of the attention he draws he helps the team, he is also not afraid to block down field but he is going to catch grief when he complains

I could care less if TO is crying or not to his boy Deion or not... I'm more concerned with the production of this offense. TO is obviously being 'blamed' for the drop off in production, when in fact, Jason Garrett is a huge part of it, which is exactly what the quote of TO pretty much implies...

khiladi

Reaction score
aikemirv;2433359 said:
Yep, you're knocking Garrett, T.O. is knocking Garrett and somebosy else is getting knocked because he won't shut his trap.

But none of this has to do with protection I guess either:eek:

Protection from the 'line'? You also do realize that Jason Garrett puts plenty of pressure on this huge offensive line, by having them constantly pass protect while the WRs are running their vertical routes. At least Jason Garrett changed the game-plan, shortening the routes or constantly attacking the edges with the run this last game...

romoluv

Reaction score
:donthear: Please God, don't let this incident causes a friction between the players/coaches....just when things are starting to look good....Focus on the 49ers!!!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
khiladi;2433364 said:
I could care less if TO is crying or not to his boy Deion or not... I'm more concerned with the production of this offense. TO is obviously being 'blamed' for the drop off in production, when in fact, Jason Garrett is a huge part of it, which is exactly what the quote of TO pretty much implies...

As I pointed out before Romo went down this offense had no problem putting up points. When my offense is putting up 28,41,27,24 and 31 points all before Romo went down we should be winning. Jason Garrett knows what he is doing but it is clear you don't have a fricken clue because if you did you would realize an offense putting up those points is doing a lot of good things. Your concern seems to be more about TO having individual numbers. As for TO being blamed no one was blaming TO they are reacting to his statements, he is complaining and drawing this attention on himself and fans react to that negatively. If Witten was crying to Deion Witten would be catching hell as well. No one wants to hear it just go out and do the job

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doomsday101;2433376 said:
As I pointed out before Romo went down this offense had no problem putting up points. When my offense is putting up 28,41,27,24 and 31 points all before Romo went down we should be winning. Jason Garrett knows what he is doing but it is clear you don't have a fricken clue because if you did you would realize an offense putting up those points is doing a lot of good things. Your concern seems to be more about TO having individual numbers. As for TO being blamed no one was blaming TO they are reacting to his statements, he is complaining and drawing this attention on himself and fans react to that negatively. If Witten was crying to Deion Witten would be catching hell as well. No one wants to hear it just go out and do the job
:hammer: