DeMarco Murray Leaving The Cowboys?

perrykemp

Reaction score
I don't think Murray is leaving, however, the Cowboys do have a problem with the fact that basically almost all of their talents players are on the offensive side of the ball and the contracts they've done or want to do continue to pile up.

Romo and Tyron Smith are already on $100 million deals. I expect Dez will be getting a $100m deal. Witten is one of the highest paid TEs in the NFL. Now obviously you want to extend Murray..... not to mention to you have Frederick and Martin in the future.

Something will have to give eventually -- you can't have 80% of the cap allocated to one side of the ball. This is one of the downsides of the modern salary-cap system.

You can pretty much guarantee than 3-4 years down the road if Smith, Frederick, and Martin are all pro-bowl players that the Cowboys won't be able to keep them all.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
You get RBs that are able to do what we need in round 4 of the draft.

Oh yea, RB's are a dime a dozen, even good ones. Funny no other RB is doing what he's doing even tho you can just grab one in the 4th round any ole time.

Some of you guys dont even think before you post. You act as if plugging in another RB is just like replacing a water pump on a car. You know, one isnt any different than another.

grandma.gif

tm1119

Reaction score
Lol at the Ryan Williams comments in this thread. He's like Paul Bunyan at this point. His legendary talent is being held back.....on the practice squad.

But in order for Murray to get paid big there needs to be a team interested in paying him big $ into and beyond his age 30 season. With the rb position becoming less and less valuable in the nfl I can see him struggling to find the deal he is hoping for. Which would lead to him coming back to Big D for a fairly reasonable deal

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Listen, there's a big difference between getting stuck(hit) in the hole and having defenders trying to grab you as they're getting pancaked, combine that with the blocking Murray is getting down field and the sky is the limit. I just want to see some other backs (Williams) have a chance to run in this offense, before I think about signing Murray to a big contract.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Talent comes with a price and that will be around 7 mill a year, it is what the market value is. I would rather see Dallas overpay a bit on great talent than to overpay on avg players. People need to stop using Barber as some be all reason why you don't sign a top RB.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Any idea what we could potentially get for compensation if he left?

bodi

Reaction score
I will bet Todd Gurley would be a nice addition - I let him walk

Noryb

Reaction score
Lol at the Ryan Williams comments in this thread. He's like Paul Bunyan at this point. His legendary talent is being held back.....on the practice squad.

But in order for Murray to get paid big there needs to be a team interested in paying him big $ into and beyond his age 30 season. With the rb position becoming less and less valuable in the nfl I can see him struggling to find the deal he is hoping for. Which would lead to him coming back to Big D for a fairly reasonable deal

You'd think another team would have snatched him up by now. Browns, Vikings, Ravens and Chargers have all lost their startting RB for an extended period of time, but they've failed to notice the gem we've stashed away on our practice squad.

Shhhh, what if they see this thread!

rd26

Reaction score
I get the "don't break the bank" line of thinking on rbs. In fact, that's usually where I fall. Looking at this roster and some of the cap #s though, its hard for me not to think Murray is worth Gore / Lynch type money (~6.5mm per).

This year you have Free at 7mm

2015 Cap Hits:
Carr - 12mm
Bernadeau - 2.8mm
Lee - 5.5 mm
Melton - 9mm (if we exercise the option)
even ......
Bailey - 2.5 mm
Witten - 8.5 mm

We have Randle (serviceable but certainly not spectacular) and Williams (historically fragile, and not good at all in pass pro.)

Draft picks.....not as easy as advertised. For example 2012 1st 4 rounds

1) T. Richardson, D. Martin, D. Wilson
2) I. Pead, L. James
3) R. Hillman, B. Pierce
4) L. Miller, R. Turbin

Yes, you had Alfred Morris in the 6th, but you also had C. Gray, D. Herron and T. Gannaway go that round.

If I'm the GM, anything over 3yr/7mm is an absolute pass, but Id have to take a long hard look at any number below that. Murray brings a lot to the table imo.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
You get RBs that are able to do what we need in round 4 of the draft. Even if you use a 2nd round pick it will be less expensive then the contract he is looking for.

I hope someone will speak with JJ if he gets braindead again and trying to overpay for a position no successfull franchise in the NFL does these days.

Enjoy Murray this year. Next year he will be gone if only one bit has changed for good in our FO.

Get me an quality RT for next year and some (more) good players on the DL. No need to overpay for the RB position.

I can't understand why some people want to get rid of Murray so quick. Besides I'd rather have draft picks go to our defense rather than use it on a back, which may not even pan out. If we can sign him, sign him and work on the defense.

BlueNSilver88

Throwing up the X
Reaction score
I believe Jerry may think he has found his new "triplets" and with the resurgence of our O-line, may start thinking it's the beginning of the 90's again...therefore will do up to the max of his ability to keep our new "triplets" intact, IMO, of course.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I'd rather they not sign him to some huge money deal. I like Murray as much as anyone but please. This O-Line is very very very good and you can find other running backs to give you quality running games for less.

There is no reason to break the bank for Murray. If he wants to stay for a reasonable deal because he loves playing in Dallas and behind that young, damn good O-line, then that's one thing. But I'm not breaking the bank to keep him.

This defense needs a TON of help and we don't have the luxury of giving Murray a huge deal, along with Bryant, and still getting the defense the pieces it needs and is going to need.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I'd rather they not sign him to some huge money deal. I like Murray as much as anyone but please. This O-Line is very very very good and you can find other running backs to give you quality running games for less.

There is no reason to break the bank for Murray. If he wants to stay for a reasonable deal because he loves playing in Dallas and behind that young, damn good O-line, then that's one thing. But I'm not breaking the bank to keep him.

This defense needs a TON of help and we don't have the luxury of giving Murray a huge deal, along with Bryant, and still getting the defense the pieces it needs and is going to need.

By the same token I don't want to use a draft picks on a RB when we have a great one right now who can run, block and catch. Ryan Williams has not shown the ability to be an all-around RB. I don't want to break the bank but then I don't think fair market value is breaking the bank it is paying a player what he is worth.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Murray has been phenomenal but RBs don't last forever and we have RB depth here.

If we can get a good price we should absolutely keep Murray.
If he wants top 5 RB money we should move on.
Murray has a scary injury history and has only bursts of elite play.
I wouldn't be in a great hurry to sign him long term at his peak value.

I'd franchise him before I did that and ride him for one more elite season.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I don't think Murray is leaving, however, the Cowboys do have a problem with the fact that basically almost all of their talents players are on the offensive side of the ball and the contracts they've done or want to do continue to pile up.

Romo and Tyron Smith are already on $100 million deals. I expect Dez will be getting a $100m deal. Witten is one of the highest paid TEs in the NFL. Now obviously you want to extend Murray..... not to mention to you have Frederick and Martin in the future.

Something will have to give eventually -- you can't have 80% of the cap allocated to one side of the ball. This is one of the downsides of the modern salary-cap system.

You can pretty much guarantee than 3-4 years down the road if Smith, Frederick, and Martin are all pro-bowl players that the Cowboys won't be able to keep them all.

Something will have to give, guys like T Williams will be hard to resign but front line players Dallas has to find a way to keep. As for 80% of the money? Carr and Lee are both in the top 4 players on the team with big contract.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
The problem with him (if there is one), is his injury history which scares me.
You better believe that Jerruh - and any other team who may come calling - is going to hammer that point home during negotiations.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Talent comes with a price and that will be around 7 mill a year, it is what the market value is. I would rather see Dallas overpay a bit on great talent than to overpay on avg players. People need to stop using Barber as some be all reason why you don't sign a top RB.

At 7m a year with a lot of it up front or guaranteed I am out.

I'd be doing a 5 yr 25m deal.

25m would be about the 8th highest total at RB. It would be a good deal for him and us where we would guarantee about half that total.
A RB can drop off fast and Murray doesn't have a long track record of staying healthy.

If he wants the 10m signing bonus this week, it'd take a 25m over 5 year deal to get me to bite.

It would cost me ~9.5m to franchise him and ride him one more year and I'd be prepared to do that.

conner01

Reaction score
i think everyone would like to keep murray but it's all about the money. if he wants top 5 money then you just can't pay that. the cap is not a one year deal. you have to look down the road at fred, twill, and others. you have to make sure you have the money for them when they come up

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
By the same token I don't want to use a draft picks on a RB when we have a great one right now who can run, block and catch. Ryan Williams has not shown the ability to be an all-around RB. I don't want to break the bank but then I don't think fair market value is breaking the bank it is paying a player what he is worth.

Dez will leap them as soon as he signs.
Romo, Tyron and Dez will be the top earners BY FAR.

In fact it will be a near miracle if Carr is here next year at all unless he takes a huge pay cut.

Sean Lee is about one injury from being a bad footnote in Cowboys history.

The big money that is coming up is all offensive which was his point and it is very valid.
This team needs to save some money for defense.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
If he's too expensive, he can walk. He's a RB and with our oline I think he could be replaced at a similar level.