DeMarco Murray Leaving The Cowboys?

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Romo got the contract based on play, where a guy is drafted or in this case not drafted does not have damn thing to do with anything.

Yeah, you are correct. I see you were not drafted, either. Now you can go.

wick

Reaction score

Dallas should let him walk. The vast majority of running backs will give you their maximum value in the first contract. After that, you pay much more for less than you got before. That's not true in all cases, but it's true in such an overwhelming percentage of cases that organizations should not offer second contracts to running backs and should instead replace them via the draft or bargain bin players in free agency.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
By the same token I don't want to use a draft picks on a RB when we have a great one right now who can run, block and catch. Ryan Williams has not shown the ability to be an all-around RB. I don't want to break the bank but then I don't think fair market value is breaking the bank it is paying a player what he is worth.

Fair enough.

I certainly can appreciate and understand the other side of the coin in this deal.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
If murray keeps playing like this there is no way in hell jerry let's him walk. Why would anyone think he would ? Guys leading the league in rushing. Yea lets him walk.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I don't expect Dallas to sign him today, I think any deal will be after the season is done not now. As for AP I don't want a guy on the downhill side it is deals like that, which come back and bite Dallas. We have a young back in his prime every bit as good as any RB in the league and I think he deserves to be paid not lowballed. Took Dallas long enough to find a back like Murray and I would hate to lose him

Waiting benefits no one in this case.

Dallas would prefer a cheap immediate deal and DeMarco likely prefers his money now while healthy.
5/25 isn't much of a low ball. It is a top 10 contract at the position and it would be given 9 months before it had to be.
If you wait til the off-season then you franchise him and hold him another year.
While I am against franchising guys generally RB is a position where it makes a lot of sense.

What Dallas can't do is start repeating bad habits by guaranteeing big money going forward that limits the cap and continually feeds the next season.

I like Murray but we've needed extra RBs every year because these guys get dinged and then get more than dinged.
Murray's career high in carries is 217. He has 99 at the quarter pole this year.
If he's a smart man and his agent is a smart agent they'd be trying to get that 10m today.
Because that player of the month stuff won't be so exciting if he misses 4 games late this year and we miss the playoffs again.

Prior to this year he would have jumped at 5/25m.

I agree the defense will require draft picks but also realize draft picks take time to mature.
You don't get them in as rookies playing amazing very often.
As good as Tyron is he was mediocre versus his position his first TWO years.
Now he might be the best overall OL in football.

All that is to say you probably have to spend some FA money on defense and soon. Whether it is resigning Durant,McClain, extending Scandrick again, or bringing in some cherry picked FA, the defense will require some attention.
There is also the possibility we will have dead money for Carr and/or Lee.
Romo, Murray, Witten have maybe a 3 year window.
Dez is at his peak but probably can go another few past that as elite.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
If murray keeps playing like this there is no way in hell jerry let's him walk. Why would anyone think he would ? Guys leading the league in rushing. Yea lets him walk.

a lot of players who have led the league in rushing are on new teams for cheap deals....
others are underpeforming big contracts.

2008: AP
2009: CJ2K
2010: Arian Foster
2011: MJ Drew
2012: AP
2013: LeSean McCoy

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
and you are free to continue to make stupid remarks you really are good at it. lol

I can pair any remarks with yours, then. that will make them even more special.

As for the lol, did you really laugh out loud or was that just you trying for effect?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Dallas would prefer a cheap immediate deal and DeMarco likely prefers his money now while healthy.
5/25 isn't much of a low ball. It is a top 10 contract at the position and it would be given 9 months before it had to be.
If you wait til the off-season then you franchise him and hold him another year.
While I am against franchising guys generally RB is a position where it makes a lot of sense.

What Dallas can't do is start repeating bad habits by guaranteeing big money going forward that limits the cap and continually feeds the next season.

I like Murray but we've needed extra RBs every year because these guys get dinged and then get more than dinged.
Murray's career high in carries is 217. He has 99 at the quarter pole this year.
If he's a smart man and his agent is a smart agent they'd be trying to get that 10m today.
Because that player of the month stuff won't be so exciting if he misses 4 games late this year and we miss the playoffs again.

Prior to this year he would have jumped at 5/25m.

I agree the defense will require draft picks but also realize draft picks take time to mature.
You don't get them in as rookies playing amazing very often.
As good as Tyron is he was mediocre versus his position his first TWO years.
Now he might be the best overall OL in football.

All that is to say you probably have to spend some FA money on defense and soon. Whether it is resigning Durant,McClain, extending Scandrick again, or bringing in some cherry picked FA, the defense will require some attention.
There is also the possibility we will have dead money for Carr and/or Lee.
Romo, Murray, Witten have maybe a 3 year window.
Dez is at his peak but probably can go another few past that as elite.

I'm with you. Top 10 money is ok. 5 years is even a year too long for me. Otherwise, I have a lot of faith in our rushing-yards-before-contact numbers and look to get a guy or a committee next season with what we've got plus a second or third round pick. The only thing I really worry about is we have nobody other than Randle on the roster who is proficient with the RB's responsibility in pass protection, and that's not a skill you easily replace in one season out of the college ranks. The leading-the-league in rushing stuff I don't actually care as much about. It's fun to see, but I don't mind just being a really good rushing team if we can still field an impressive offense and use the extra cash to address the pass rush or S problems.

Eddie

Reaction score
Find a cow bell RB in the 2nd round. No need to put that much money into a 27 (soon to be 28) year old RB.

perrykemp

Reaction score

There is merit to this. I can pretty much guarantee that if Murray goes over 2000 yards and hasn't been extended, it will put the team in an awful jam.

That kind of season will merit a deal not unlike what Chris Johnson got after his 2000 yard season which was 4y/$53m ($13.25m/year) which would be almost impossible for the Cowboys to do considering the other 3 large salaries the team will have on offense at that point with Romo, Tyron, Dez (presumably) and Witten.

If the team wants to compete for a Superbowl, some dollars are going to have to be allocated to the defense.

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
Gotta let Murray walk. Never pour big money into a RB, especially one closer to 30 than 20.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
leave go and use that money on a great defensive linemen (suh, or we could get two really good guys in here) and spend a 2nd or 3rd rounder on a good running back out of college.

I hear on the Fan in DFW Shu may go NYC. Most likely the J E T S.

Cowboys606

Reaction score
Cowboys are setup to let him go Randle shows promise, Dunbar will add some depth, and Williams looked great in the pre-season. Wouldn't mind seeing Dunbar cut,the boys could use a 4-5th round draft pick\on a RB. I love D.Murray but it will cost the cowboys to keep him.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
You re-sign him . But , you sign him to a 3 year deal . After that he'll be washed up . We are plenty under the cap to sign dez , Murray , and even more players next offseason.

Zordon

Reaction score
You re-sign him . But , you sign him to a 3 year deal . After that he'll be washed up . We are plenty under the cap to sign dez , Murray , and even more players next offseason.

not a chance in hell he takes a 3 yr deal.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
The article is right about the offensive line and the rest of the components on offense aiding in the running games (Murray's) success.

But those yards after contact totals are extremely indicative of what Murray is capable of doing over and above what's in place and account for a staggering 39% of his overall rushing yards.

YAC is different for a RB than a WR and Murray's are exceptional.

And those types of RBs don't last very long and they tend to get less aggressive after getting paid. See Marion Barber. It would great to keep Murray at a reasonable price but if he wants top 3 money for 5 or 6 years, then I'd be fine with Randle, Williams, Dunbar, and a 2nd-4th round draft pick competing for the right to run behind this top 5 oline.

IAmLegend

Reaction score
For the right price, we keep him. But if he demands big money, like AD money, let him walk.

RB's are a dime-a-dozen, even if he is playing really well. That money can be used to fill 2 or 3 other positions, preferably on the D and Dez.