DeMarco Murray Leaving The Cowboys?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I'm with you. Top 10 money is ok. 5 years is even a year too long for me. Otherwise, I have a lot of faith in our rushing-yards-before-contact numbers and look to get a guy or a committee next season with what we've got plus a second or third round pick. The only thing I really worry about is we have nobody other than Randle on the roster who is proficient with the RB's responsibility in pass protection, and that's not a skill you easily replace in one season out of the college ranks. The leading-the-league in rushing stuff I don't actually care as much about. It's fun to see, but I don't mind just being a really good rushing team if we can still field an impressive offense and use the extra cash to address the pass rush or S problems.

Ultimately my main gist is it benefits both sides to get something done quickly.
It removes risk from Murray(financially set for life realistically) and lowers Murray's yearly cap hit into area where he can be a fit and even a team leader for next 3-4 years.

One of the worst things a RB can be is overpaid.
Ask CJ2k or MJD... you end up cut and looking for a scrap heap job where the OL or scheme fit may be bad.

I'd go the 5th year because that is what the bonus divides into and it offers the final year for show.
You structure it thusly:

Current: 10m bonus -- cap current+2m
2015 2m base 2m bonus -- cap 4m
2016 3m base 2m bonus -- cap 5m
2017 3m base 2m bonus -- cap 5m
2018 3m base 2m bonus -- cap 5m
2019 4m base 0 bonus -- cap 4m but 0 if cut.... meaning it really is a 4 year 21m deal with an option for year 5 at 4m.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
If Murray was smart, he would stay behind this line, and buy them stuff a lot.

Plankton

Reaction score
Everyone has to remember how fast MB3 dropped off in production.

The beating to the body ages a RB in dog years.

Exactly. Murray does not avoid contact with his style. Within 3 years, he will be a shell of what he is now.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Exactly. Murray does not avoid contact with his style. Within 3 years, he will be a shell of what he is now.

which is likely but also realize the 3 years in between have real value.
you just have to assess that value and determine its market value.
murray certainly looks like a top 4 RB right now if not even more elite.

while there is most definitely a walking away point that isn't a best case scenario for anyone.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

There are many example of Murray taking it out of bounds, he also has a job to do and part of that is picking up yards after contact. How far can he go? you can look at avg but then backs like Smith blew that avg out of the water same with Gore in SF who is in his 10th year or Matt Forte there is no way to know how long a back like them can go. People point to Barber as the post child of power backs but he is only one of many to play the game

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
You still need to be a pretty good back to start a season like he started, and set the Cowboys single game rushing record (without this line). The problem with him has not been what he can do on the field cause he's played pretty well despite subpar run blocking.

No, no you dont.

Lets just say what many say about Emmitt... if it wasnt for his offensive line...blah blah blah

Plankton

Reaction score
which is likely but also realize the 3 years in between have real value.
you just have to assess that value and determine its market value.
murray certainly looks like a top 4 RB right now if not even more elite.

while there is most definitely a walking away point that isn't a best case scenario for anyone.

No question that he looks very good right now, and I think he's the most complete back in football right now (surpassed Matt Forte).

I just think that it will end up being a bad contract if they go multiple years with him.

Truthfully, I would consider franchising him.

ferrispata

Reaction score
It's been a a while since we had an offensive line that could run block.

Agreed. We will not be bringing back Murray in my opinion. And as much as I like Murray, Randle/Dunbar or someone else to be named will do just fine behind our line. Youth movement is the way to go with RBs these days. Now if we could get Murray on a 3 year deal on the cheap then fine by me, but that will not happen with the way he is playing this year.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
If its too expensive, let him go.

If he is going to want adrian peterson money, then it simply is not worth it. If Stephen is going to juggle the books around to be able to keep Dez, Mcclain, and melton, I'd rather let Murray leave go and use that money on a great defensive linemen (suh, or we could get two really good guys in here) and spend a 2nd or 3rd rounder on a good running back out of college.

I dont think Randle is anything special- i do think Dunbar has some special skillls. Pai him with a big back and the running gane wiuld still flourish.

Why do people keep saying this? No rb currently in the league is going to get Adrian Peterson money.

gdogg24

Reaction score
No, no you dont.

Lets just say what many say about Emmitt... if it wasnt for his offensive line...blah blah blah

That's why it's surprising, I wonder if forums were around then if people would have been going around saying Emmitt isnt't really all that important.

DiResta

Reaction score
I would be ok bringing up Williams but for t he same reason he doesnt start Murrays pass blocking should not be taken for granted. Williams is a dynamic runner but can he learn to pick up a blitz and keep #9 from getting IRd? if so I think they could continue to push 100+ yards a game

AKATheRake

Reaction score
And those types of RBs don't last very long and they tend to get less aggressive after getting paid. See Marion Barber. It would great to keep Murray at a reasonable price but if he wants top 3 money for 5 or 6 years, then I'd be fine with Randle, Williams, Dunbar, and a 2nd-4th round draft pick competing for the right to run behind this top 5 oline.

Top 3 money means he's getting paid better than Marshawn Lynch and Matt Forte.

McCoy is just above them at $8 million per.

I don't know if that's what he is expecting. Doubt Murray hits what he's currently on pace to do. But if he does maybe he expects to make top 3.

You can't franchise the guy at this point because Petersons current 14+ million per contract lopsides everything. So if the team wants to keep him they have to work out a deal.

If he stays healthy he's probably going to lead the league in rushing and we go to the playoffs. That's 1600 yards +. We haven't seen that since Emmitt and despite this "because he can play physical" quam and will break down by 28-29 you're going to want to keep him and pay him.

You can't send an ascending team that poor message of not paying for performance. This locker room seems to be finally gelling and he's one of the bigger voices and examples.

Pay him the rate if he produces and shows durability.

Dez plays so physical so we better not pay him either with that so called ailing back then.

Last edited:

gmoney112

Reaction score
Murray isn't leaving, and he's not getting more than 6m/year either.

Agents and NFL FO know the day of the RB are over. I like Murray but when McCoy and Lynch got their contracts, they were better players than Murray is now.

I think we'll sign him to a reasonable 4 year contract, with the 4th year being voidable or non guaranteed. He may not ever see Year 3, but it's nice to have a piece in place.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Just franchise him and run him into the ground with 400 carries a year.

We can actually franchise him twice, so we can get two seasons of 400 carries if he can hold up....................after that he would be close to 29 yrs old and pretty much used up....................then we draft another RB in the first three rounds.

Not complicated, you use up backs and go get another one.