DeMarco Murray Leaving The Cowboys?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
At 7m a year with a lot of it up front or guaranteed I am out.

I'd be doing a 5 yr 25m deal.

25m would be about the 8th highest total at RB. It would be a good deal for him and us where we would guarantee about half that total.
A RB can drop off fast and Murray doesn't have a long track record of staying healthy.

If he wants the 10m signing bonus this week, it'd take a 25m over 5 year deal to get me to bite.

It would cost me ~9.5m to franchise him and ride him one more year and I'd be prepared to do that.

That is below market value why would he want it?
I would just as soon do a 4 year deal at 28 mill

TwentyOne

Reaction score
I can't understand why some people want to get rid of Murray so quick. Besides I'd rather have draft picks go to our defense rather than use it on a back, which may not even pan out. If we can sign him, sign him and work on the defense.

Who said someone wants to go rid of him quick. My point was/is that the investment for him is not worth the return. And that has nothing to do with his quality. Its based on the position and the NFL does not value RBs right now.

I do like Murray alot. And id love him to be on this team. But i want my franchise to succeed. Not one player.

Why cant people differ between personal feelings and business decissions ?
This is not a "i-like-you" league this is a league where return-of-investement counts.

Nation

Reaction score
I would never pay a running back more than 3M a year, and I think Murray is great. But you have to sacrifice elsewhere at some point if you're going to pay guys big money, and RB is one of the places I'd be fine with sacrificing at.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
That is below market value why would he want it?
I would just as soon do a 4 year deal at 28 mill

He'd have 10m reasons to want it.

If you are Murray do you take 10m now(TODAY) or risk staying healthy all year?
He's on the best run of his life and his value is at its peak.
Dallas would be crazy to offer him big money right now to sign.
If they gotta pay a going rate there's no point signing him before they absolutely have to.

Dallas has ALL the leverage.

Dallas can probably sign AP to a 4 year 28m deal after this season.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
He'd have 10m reasons to want it.

If you are Murray do you take 10m now(TODAY) or risk staying healthy all year?
He's on the best run of his life and his value is at its peak.
Dallas would be crazy to offer him big money right now to sign.
If they gotta pay a going rate there's no point signing him before they absolutely have to.

Dallas has ALL the leverage.

Dallas can probably sign AP to a 4 year 28m deal after this season.

I don't expect Dallas to sign him today, I think any deal will be after the season is done not now. As for AP I don't want a guy on the downhill side it is deals like that, which come back and bite Dallas. We have a young back in his prime every bit as good as any RB in the league and I think he deserves to be paid not lowballed. Took Dallas long enough to find a back like Murray and I would hate to lose him

Nirvana

Reaction score
Any idea what we could potentially get for compensation if he left?

Nothing, as he will be an unrestricted free agent due to his four years in the league (if it was three or less, there would be compensation.)

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't expect Dallas to sign him today, I think any deal will be after the season is done not now. As for AP I don't want a guy on the downhill side it is deals like that, which come back and bite Dallas. We have a young back in his prime every bit as good as any RB in the league and I think he deserves to be paid not lowballed. Took Dallas long enough to find a back like Murray and I would hate to lose him

I agree with this especially if Murray proves durable this season. As far as AP, the allegations of possible tampering might cause the front office to stay away from him, not to mention the current controversy.

Nirvana

Reaction score
Ryan Williams and Randle can pick up where Murray left off. I am sure they are improving on blitz pick ups in practice and will be more rounded backs by next year.

Wouldn't it be something for Murray to set a new all-time rushing record for the season?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I agree with this especially if Murray proves durable this season. As far as AP, the allegations of possible tampering might cause the front office to stay away from him, not to mention the current controversy.

True did not think of that but I guess my main objection with AP whom I have always liked is the fact he has had a lot of injuries himself over the course of his career and I think is on the downhill side of his career

perrykemp

Reaction score
Something will have to give, guys like T Williams will be hard to resign but front line players Dallas has to find a way to keep. As for 80% of the money? Carr and Lee are both in the top 4 players on the team with big contract.

Yes, both Lee and Carr have big contracts TODAY, however, it's not hard to envision a scenario where one or both are gone next season due to a combination of injuries, mediocre performance, or salary cap needs.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yes, both Lee and Carr have big contracts TODAY, however, it's not hard to envision a scenario where one or both are gone next season due to a combination of injuries, mediocre performance, or salary cap needs.

True then that is money saved to sign guys with very good talent. In my view Murray is every bit important he along with the OL allow Dallas to be a very effective running team and it turn helps open up the passing game with more favorable matchup's.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
If this season continus fer him as good as it was thourgh 4 games, then, even then, one season do not make big cash year.
Half TWO good seasons in a row and then he and Jerra can split the proceeds from the Unan Ma hummus salad sales at the Cowboys Stadium. If he half 3 good years in a row then Murray should ax Adrian Peterson monies but not before then.

perrykemp

Reaction score
True then that is money saved to sign guys with very good talent. In my view Murray is every bit important he along with the OL allow Dallas to be a very effective running team and it turn helps open up the passing game with more favorable matchup's.

I actually am NOT in the camp that Murray is easily replaceable.

My point is with the mega contracts on the offensive side of the ball Romo, Tyrone Smith, and soon Dez you start to having to make hard decisions about where the rest of the money goes.

It's very easy to envision a scenario a year or two down the road when the Cowboys should be primed for a Superbowl run that they are talent deficient on defense because they've got so much salary cap wrapped up into Romo, Smith, Dez, Murray, Witten, etc.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I actually am NOT in the camp that Murray is easily replaceable.

My point is with the mega contracts on the offensive side of the ball Romo, Tyrone Smith, and soon Dez you start to having to make hard decisions about where the rest of the money goes.

It's very easy to envision a scenario a year or two down the road when the Cowboys should be primed for a Superbowl run that they are talent deficient on defense because they've got so much salary cap wrapped up into Romo, Smith, Dez, Murray, Witten, etc.

and I would look more and more to the draft to build the defense much like we have used it to build the offense. I don't expect Dallas to run out and pay big money to FA, I think they need to continue to go after the mid tier players in FA and use the draft. I think more times than not we have been burnt by high price FA who never live up to the money they are getting.

Reaction score
Dude, if you want to be taken seriously, spell simple words correctly when you create a post....geesh.

MissouriCowboy

Reaction score
I think if Murray plays like he has without missing major time he get rewarded. Front office is taking a wait and see matter to this.,

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I am sure jerra will thow a lot of money at Murray. Look at all he spent on Tony romo, walk-on from Eastern Illinoise.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Dude, if you want to be taken seriously, spell simple words correctly when you create a post....geesh.

Bean taken serious by you is a high priority. Do you always end a sentence with geesh? Is that a charlie brown cultural thang? Or a northern guy "I'm Moving to Texas" thang?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I am sure jerra will thow a lot of money at Murray. Look at all he spent on Tony romo, walk-on from Eastern Illinoise.

Romo got the contract based on play, where a guy is drafted or in this case not drafted does not have damn thing to do with anything.