DeMarco Murray on the Herd

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That's the most important thing.
I’m not sure. If he's able to bring in enough talent and surround himself with better asst coaches it could be enough.

But if we’re looking for him to elevate a lesser team then no, we have the wrong guy,

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We can all sit here and say .. fire Garrett.
But that’s not a reality with Jerry.

Giving up or waving the white flag isn’t an option because we can’t get what we want or need.

Drastic times cause for drastic actions. You have to think outside the box . This is life with the Football Idiot.

DiResta

Reaction score
No, a large swath of fans who want Garrett gone espouse exactly what Murray said. He's a flawed coach and it's unlikely he'll ever be able to overcome those flaws and take the Cowboys to beyond where he's taken them thus far.
thats highly debatable 'that he never overcomes the flaws' but personally i have no emotional attachment to him. he obviously hasnt been successful enough
i stand by the opinion he would be better if promoted into some kind of administrative position
i do know most of the retreads people come up with to replace him i dont care for
a guy like James Franklin would be fine by me but dont think this will change until Jerry is completely out of the picture AND Stephen is willing to accept the GM not being a Jones

Diehardblues

Reaction score
thats highly debatable 'that he never overcomes the flaws' but personally i have no emotional attachment to him. he obviously hasnt been successful enough
i stand by the opinion he would be better if promoted into some kind of administrative position
i do know most of the retreads people come up with to replace him i dont care for
a guy like James Franklin would be fine by me but dont think this will change until Jerry is completely out of the picture AND Stephen is willing to accept the GM not being a Jones
This is a fair assessment . Until we have change from the top difficult to expect more.

And without more success there really isn’t a strong argument to become emotionally attached to Garrett anymore than we would with any coach this era. It is what it is. A sad state of affairs for Cowboys Football.

DiResta

Reaction score
This is a fair assessment . Until we have change from the top difficult to expect more.

And without more success there really isn’t a strong argument to become emotionally attached to Garrett anymore than we would with any coach this era. It is what it is. A sad state of affairs for Cowboys Football.
yeah but Jerry is very old
the question is will Stephen become Mike Brown II

Diehardblues

Reaction score
yeah but Jerry is very old
the question is will Stephen become Mike Brown II
We really don’t know. What we do know is Stephen has been in his same position throughout and a part of the product we’ve been delivering. Moving him from VP to GM or adding that role doesn’t provide me any confidence moving forward.

My greatest hope is Stephen would hire and delegate those responsibilities or better yet the Jone$ sell the franchise upon Jerry’s demise.

Sydla

Reaction score

7 years, one playoff win.

The evidence continues to mount that he's simply not a really good coach and thus, struggles with overcomes his own shortcomings as a coach.

And we agree on something you said. I suspect he'd be a better GM than head coach.

DiResta

Reaction score

The evidence continues to mount that he's simply not a really good coach and thus, struggles with overcomes his own shortcomings as a coach.

And we agree on something you said. I suspect he'd be a better GM than head coach.
whoa whoa not GM lol
i was thinking public relations with Charlotte or something
the reason i feel its debatable is because he isnt stupid. and his seasons have been up-down and in between -he hasnt been consistently good OR bad
like Gary Kubiak, similar deal in Houston. had some blah years some decent (with better talent and coordinators like Wade) went to Denver and with a great defense won the SB

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Which is how I view Jason. He’s like a walk around GM.

Sydla

Reaction score
whoa whoa not GM lol
i was thinking public relations with Charlotte or something
the reason i feel its debatable is because he isnt stupid. and his seasons have been up-down and in between -he hasnt been consistently good OR bad
like Gary Kubiak, similar deal in Houston. had some blah years some decent (with better talent and coordinators like Wade) went to Denver and with a great defense won the SB

I am not saying he's stupid. But just because one is smart, doesn't mean he's a good coach. I think he lacks the "feel" for the game during gamedays that many great coaches have. I think he's the type that builds a game plan, thinks it will work regardless of what's going on during a game.

So I have no doubt he understands Xs and Os and all the mental sides of being a good coach. I think he lacks the intangibles that other very good head coaches have - ability to adjust on the fly, creativity on the fly, etc.

DiResta

Reaction score
I am not saying he's stupid. But just because one is smart, doesn't mean he's a good coach. I think he lacks the "feel" for the game during gamedays that many great coaches have. I think he's the type that builds a game plan, thinks it will work regardless of what's going on during a game.

So I have no doubt he understands Xs and Os and all the mental sides of being a good coach. I think he lacks the intangibles that other very good head coaches have - ability to adjust on the fly, creativity on the fly, etc.
definitely a weakness
so having very good coordinators however you find them wouldnt change the outcome? he wouldnt go with their call? he says its a 'committee decision' on that stuff -i mean thats what he says i have no way of knowing other than by a qb like Romo flat out saying 'this was the call, it was bad and i changed it -or- i wasnt allowed to change it'
just wondering your opinion
fwiw i dont think Jerry will fire him but i do think Stephen would

Sydla

Reaction score
definitely a weakness
so having very good coordinators however you find them wouldnt change the outcome? he wouldnt go with their call? he says its a 'committee decision' on that stuff -i mean thats what he says i have no way of knowing other than by a qb like Romo flat out saying 'this was the call, it was bad and i changed it -or- i wasnt allowed to change it'
just wondering your opinion
fwiw i dont think Jerry will fire him but i do think Stephen would

Top flight coordinators would be a must and he can't be a talent disadvantage. In other words, I don't think he could ever pull off what Pederson did in Philly losing his starting MLB, LT and then QB and go onto win the SB. Sure, that Eagles team was talented but they were able to plug three key holes and not skip a beat. What Pederson was able to do with game planning for Foles was impressive. I am not sure Garrett could do something like that.

I also agree on your last part. I think Jerry would fight tooth and nail to keep him whereas Stephen would be more likely to send him to the sun if they don't turn this around rapidly.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
In professional sports coaching is over rated except for assembling the talent. It’s mostly a talent driven league in NFL as well.
This is completely wrong. In college you can win by recruiting vastly superior talent. In the NBA with so few players on the court, a great free agent or two can completely turn your team around.

In the NFL -- a parity-oriented, salary-cap league where the talent is much more equally distributed -- coaching is crucial and often the difference. The Patriots didn't have the best talent every year they won those Super Bowls; they had the best coach.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This is completely wrong. In college you can win by recruiting vastly superior talent. In the NBA with so few players on the court, a great free agent or two can completely turn your team around.

In the NFL -- a parity-oriented, salary-cap league where the talent is much more equally distributed -- coaching is crucial and often the difference. The Patriots didn't have the best talent every year they won those Super Bowls; they had the best coach.
They’ve had the best QB. And a coach who’s surrounded him with the right talent .

Despite the parity in NFL the talent at key positions isn’t equally divided. There’s only a handful of elite QB’s and defenses.

Some teams and or HC have out drafted or amassed more talent and greater teams. That’s the difference.

It’s not like they all have equal talent and their coaches are elevating them on Game Day. That’s absurd.

Parity allows all teams to have an equal opportunity. What teams do with that opportunity determines the imbalance of talent throughout the league.