Signed by Cowboys Demarcus Lawrence signed, 5 years $105 million

Status
Not open for further replies.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
What makes you think that there would be no fans? There would still be fans, just like there were before the NFL was around. I mean, that's what I'm trying to tell you. There is still the College game. There is football all around you and apparently, you don't pay attention to it. But because there were owners who invested in the League, you know have a product to watch. The Pro Athletes are on TV because these owners invested. They are making money, big money because of these investments. If that went away, there still be football, there just wouldn't be a lucrative avenue with which to get paid for it.

Bottom line, if your argument is that the Pro Game is what is important to you, as a fan, then you should be 100% in line with the idea that players should not get paid more, simply because they are players. You say supply and demand but do you really understand that concept? If you do, then why do you not subscribe to the market determining value of any given player? I mean, that is the very basis of supply and demand. If you allowed players to simply get paid more because they play, then you basically lay the foundation for failure of the entire league. All that would happen is that all players salaries would simply escalate to the point of none profitability and the league would eventually fail, out of hand. That is not a sound method to base players salaries on.
Why would there be a franchise if there was no demand for it?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Why would there be a franchise if there was no demand for it?

There wouldn't be but you are asking the wrong question here. The question you should be asking is, why would anybody build a franchise or a league if you could not make it profitable? There is a demand for Free Chik-fil-a out there, right now as well, I'm sure of it. But, you don't see anybody going out and trying to start a business around the idea of giving it away do you?

Your idea's here are wrong because they are financially unsound and to be completely frank, it's really not about the players either. The proof is all there in front of us. During strikes, the NFL brings sub par athletes and guess what, we still tune in. The actual quality of the game has gone down in recent years and the Networks are still paying out huge TV contracts. You have horrible teams out there, better then 50% of the league, and fans still tune in. It's the League that is the foundation and not the player.

Doesn't matter, the players are not driving the league. That happens in the NBA but not in the NFL. The Franchise is the Draw in this league.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Yeah i know. I am just pissed that the FO again put itself in a losing situation. Same with Romo. He played hardball with them like now DLaw.
happens tp all teams brother.. Pittsburgh got bent over by Brown and got his way with another new contract..many teams go through this, its a choice and you have to live with it..at least we dont have a hole on the Dline now we have a better pass rush then last year IMO Quinn, Taco, Armstrong rotating with Dlaw now..maybe Gregory gets back sometime..pretty strong group..Woods and some other clogging the middle..i think we will be fine..moneys not fans issues we want players that can play and we have them..

Reactions: CWR

jnday

Reaction score
Why? They didn't invest in the franchise or take the risk. Why do they deserve more? If they want to make more, go open a Franchise. I don't get it.
Exactly. The key word here is “owners”. The owners have risked everything to have these teams. What business has employees bringing home more money than the owner? It doesn’t happen and it shouldn’t happen in the NFL either.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score

So basically his cap hit for this year is only $10.1M, though according to Over The Cap his cap number is $20M this year (I don't believe that is correct). The difference means whether the Cowboys have $10M or $20M in cap space left right now. They'll need about 4M to sign their draft picks if they don't move up into the 1st round.

I have no idea how they get a deal done for either Dak or Cooper with these numbers. And I'm still scratching my head about why they held on to Sean Lee. That was an easy way to save some cap space.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

So basically his cap hit for this year is only $10.1M, though according to Over The Cap his cap number is $20M this year (I don't believe that is correct). The difference means whether the Cowboys have $10M or $20M in cap space left right now. They'll need about 4M to sign their draft picks if they don't move up into the 1st round.

I have no idea how they get a deal done for either Dak or Cooper with these numbers. And I'm still scratching my head about why they held on to Sean Lee. That was an easy way to save some cap space.

They need under 2m to sign their draft picks. .

ksg811

Reaction score

His cap hit is $11.1M. They also only need ~$550k to sign the draft class. They saved 3M re-doing Lee’s deal. Cooper, like Tank would have a lower cap hit after an extension. Cap space has never been an issue this offseason. It was a matter of the FO being aggressive enough to take advantage of it early.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I watch him alot. And also because everybody is singing the song that he is double teamed on most if his plays.

But that isnt the case. When he is double teamed (this happens like around 40% of his plays) its more often by TE/RB combo then by what peoples wishful thinking of Tackle/RB. The TE/RB combo in 90% of the cases is successfull against him. A tackle alone can handle him against the pass.

Against the Rams the double teams against him were absurd. He was manhandled by WR/RB combos most of the time and was more on the ground then making plays. It was a disasterous game for him.

But the guy did the same thing that Romo already did with us. We maneuvered us into a position where we were dependent on that one player. And he used it to his advantage.

The Rams stacked tight ends and wide receivers outside of the right tackle, then played inside leverage with the tackle to force Lawrence to have to go through the tight ends and receivers blocking him and the tackle. They focused on doubling and tripling him to take him out of the game.

Sydla

Reaction score

Cooper is a 14MM cap hit this year. Signing an extension would likely lower his first year cap hit anyway.

Reactions: CWR

links18

Reaction score
This has to be the most important move of the offseason after the Redfern signing!

TwentyOne

Reaction score
The Rams stacked tight ends and wide receivers outside of the right tackle, then played inside leverage with the tackle to force Lawrence to have to go through the tight ends and receivers blocking him and the tackle. They focused on doubling and tripling him to take him out of the game.

They never trippled him with an tackle in that team and when they doubled him with TEs and WRs the tackle went inside most of the time and didnt care about him.

For a player who thinks of himself he is one of the best at his position he should have feasted on those TEs and WRs. One after another should have landed on a strecher. But the opposite happend: DLaw was lying on the ground most of the time counting grass blades.

Dont misunderstand me i think he is a good player. Just not a great one or a difference maker. And in the playoffs were others can step their game up he disappeared. He may be the antonym of Suh: plays good over the season, but has nothing to say in the playoffs. Suh takes his break over the course of the season but dominates in the playoffs.

Last edited:

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
My stance is how much more money the owner are making than players and I think players should be getting most of the money that is generated by the fans.
lol, wut?........The owners will always .....make more than the employees in every business.....they have all the overhead that the employees don't have......utilities, maintenance, payroll, travel expenses, lodging, equipment, meals, insurance....etc

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
They never trippled him with an tackle in that team and when they doubled him with TEs and WRs the tackle went inside most of the time and didnt care about him.

For a player who thinks of himself he is one of the best at his position he should have feasted on those TEs and WRs. One after another should have landed on a strecher. But the opposite happend: DLaw was lying on the ground most of the time counting grass blades.

Dont misunderstand me i think he is a good player. Just not a great one or a difference maker. And in the playoffs were others can step their game up he disappeared. He may be the antonym of Suh: plays good over the season, but has nothing to say in the playoffs. Suh takes his break over the course of the season but dominates in the playoffs.

I don't agree with your assessment of what they were doing. I specifically went back to watch it and over and over again, they stacked that side and used multiple players against him. They would crash the tackle inside, though, when they ran to the opposite side, but that's only because they were running away from him and could use the traffic of the tight end and wide receivers to hold him up long enough for that.

It was a really great design to negate our best lineman after he had played very well in the first playoff game against Seattle.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
just looking at this deal more. its basically a 3yr deal for 55mil, Dallas can get out after the 2021 season with only 10mil deadmoney but save 14mil on the cap. At age 29 which would allow him to hit FA before 30 for another big deal.

The Cowboys arent the same Cowboys of stupid transactions.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
just looking at this deal more. its basically a 3yr deal for 55mil, Dallas can get out after the 2021 season with only 10mil deadmoney but save 14mil on the cap. At age 29 which would allow him to hit FA before 30 for another big deal.

The Cowboys arent the same Cowboys of stupid transactions.

LM don’t come here with facts people are up in arms that it’s a horrible contract that is going to hurt us down the road. Some of these guys just like to get worked up.

Status
Not open for further replies.