Signed by Cowboys Demarcus Lawrence signed, 5 years $105 million

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
In 2016 the NFL had revenue of just over 13 billion, the MLB just over 9 billion and the NBA just over 5 billion. For 2018 the NFL had revenue of just over 14 billion, the MLB just over 10 billion and the NBA just over 7 billion. The NBA is growing at twice the rate of the NFL and the MLB.
The NBA benefited greatly from ESPN's stupidity.... they thought FoxSPorts1 was going to bid on the NBA and ESPN paid triple what they should have..... and they are losing their butts...... Disney had to break them off since it dragging the down the movie studio profits

The next round of TV deals should see a big correction and those 40m deals will be hard to swallow

lwehlers

Reaction score
horrible contract. Lawrence will not live up to it. the cowboys will have atleast two years of dead money when they release him in three years. cowboys would have been better served to let him play out his franchise year and let him go and then try to get a compensation pick for him. just my opinion.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
as is the Dead Money will only be 10m in 2022... that is peanuts for 11m cap hit this year
horrible contract. Lawrence will not live up to it. the cowboys will have atleast two years of dead money when they release him in three years. cowboys would have been better served to let him play out his franchise year and let him go and then try to get a compensation pick for him. just my opinion.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Yeah i know. I am just pissed that the FO again put itself in a losing situation. Same with Romo. He played hardball with them like now DLaw.

You keep stating things as fact that are just not true at all. You can’t keel trying to re-write history on Romo’s contract. Romo did not play hardball.

lwehlers

Reaction score
as is the Dead Money will only be 10m in 2022... that is peanuts for 11m cap hit this year
still a bad contract. lawrence is good defensive end but he is not as good as mack or Vonn miller.

ItzKelz

Reaction score

ItzKelz

Reaction score
The NBA benefited greatly from ESPN's stupidity.... they thought FoxSPorts1 was going to bid on the NBA and ESPN paid triple what they should have..... and they are losing their butts...... Disney had to break them off since it dragging the down the movie studio profits

The next round of TV deals should see a big correction and those 40m deals will be hard to swallow
I think that the NFL is the most popular sport in America but it suffered a hit with the political stance the last few years by fighting to control it. The NBA on the other hand supported individuals to do what they thought was right. I think fans in general of both sports saw this as a negative to the NFL and a positive for the NBA hence the growth in the NBA in revenue. This is just my opinion of course; I have no data on it at all.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Thank you. BTW, it's not a game. There is no way I can possibly ascertain the Data you are using to come to stated conclusion by googling myself. They have to come from you. I'm just trying to understand, you should not take it personal.
I was metaphorically speaking....no harm no foul.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The NFL makes way more revenue than the NBA and MLB. The NBA is getting close but they are still way behind. Yes the NFL has more players to pay but putting things into perspective....Steph Curry makes 40 mil a year in the NBA....that could pay half the salaries in one season of most teams in the NFL.

It's not way more in terms of profit by teams.

Phillies made 88M profit in 2016.

Packers made 34M in 2018.

Lakers made 115M in 2016.

The Yankees and Dodgers have the highest revenues but not always the highest profits in MLB.

The Cowboys profit in 2017 was 365M but many teams profit is far less with the Packers 34M in 2016 being middle of the pack.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
still a bad contract. lawrence is good defensive end but he is not as good as mack or Vonn miller.

How is it a bad contract? There was just an article stating that it was a good contract for all sides and the Steelers could learn a little something from it.

Literally only a few of you think this is a bad contract while everyone else thinks this was a good deal.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I was metaphorically speaking....no harm no foul.

OK, I think the difference here is revenue vs profit. Because MLB has historically refused to open their books, we have no idea what each team is actually making, in terms of profits. Also, the article really only measures TV revenue and not other sources of revenue but, I don't believe that that is of any significant consequence. MLB refuses to open their books for audit so technically, we really can not be sure of exactly how much each team is making, in terms of profits.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

The Yankees and Dodgers have the highest revenues but not always the highest profits in MLB.

The Cowboys profit in 2017 was 365M but many teams profit is far less with the Packers 34M in 2016 being middle of the pack.

Should have know. LOL........

Posted something similar, in terms of revenue vs profits just a moment ago but you illustrated the point much better then I.

Thank you Senior!

cern

Reaction score
5/105 - 65M gtd with a 25M SB (5M/yr proration.)

2019 - 1.5M base... 4.6M roster Bonus... 5M SB... 11.1M cap hit

2020 - 16.9M base... 5M SB... 21.9M cap

2021 - 17M base... 5M SB... 22M cap (base guarantees March 2020)

2022 - 19M base... 5M SB... 24M cap (14M savings if cut)

2023 - 21M base... 5M SB... 26M cap (21M savings if cut)
Muchas gracias.. Seems a most reasonable deal.

ItzKelz

Reaction score

IMO profit is on the owner of each team. If you are making billions as an owner you should be a good business man.

Little Jr

Reaction score
The NFL makes way more revenue than the NBA and MLB. The NBA is getting close but they are still way behind. Yes the NFL has more players to pay but putting things into perspective....Steph Curry makes 40 mil a year in the NBA....that could pay half the salaries in one season of most teams in the NFL.
Yes they do and they pay out more also to their player's than both the nba and mlb. And that 40m a year amounts to 487,000 per game compared to Dlaw 1.3m a game. After they take care of that 40m they only have 11-14 players to pay. If that was the NFL they'd still have to play 52 others and actually 62 counting PS players. Mlb has not cap so that's makes it a lot easier. Nba has one that I have no clue how it works but I do know it's a soft cap and can go over and pay a luxury tax. The nfl has a hard cap and it's very manipulative. Think about how manipulative a soft cap would be.

NFL makes more money, pay out more money, and their players make more per game. Bryce Harper has a great chance to play out his 13 year deal. NFL players have a very small chance of playing out a 13 yr guaranteed contract. With a cap can you imagine having 75m+ dead money? Lol people cry about 10m. Get rid of the cap we can have a logical conversation with NFL fully guaranteed contracts. Until then it can't, won't and shouldn't happen.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
OK, I think the difference here is revenue vs profit. Because MLB has historically refused to open their books, we have no idea what each team is actually making, in terms of profits. Also, the article really only measures TV revenue and not other sources of revenue but, I don't believe that that is of any significant consequence. MLB refuses to open their books for audit so technically, we really can not be sure of exactly how much each team is making, in terms of profits.
I was speaking of revenue in my original statement. Profit for each team would be a tedious search if I chose to do so. But hey maybe Ill give it a try later to see what you say is true.

Status
Not open for further replies.