Video: Demarcus Ware talks clearly about why the Cowboys failed but Broncos didn't

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I can understand his points.

But I think better coaching was a huge part of it.

Also there is a distinct advantage playing at altitude when the other team is not aclamated.

This is very real. The hockey is the same way as is the basketball.

So Dallas definitely has its traditional issues. I am happy for Ware to get his rings.

He deserved it. But Jerrah ain't moving our stadium anytime soon.
ware is so 2010.
he's so good, maybe he can play in 2021.:rolleyes:

Fastpitch Dad

Reaction score
I used to work with a girl that was best friends with Romos college girlfriend. She hated the Cowboys because of Romo and how he treated people in general. Said that he literally acted like he was better than everyone else to include his girlfriend. I personally didnt care. He was my QB and I dont know him personally but I can see how a locker room can become divided with a personality like that at QB.
Like the time after flying back from NY after a night game he stopped and helped an elderly couple change a flat tire? What a terrible person.

Sounds like she (or you) have an ax to grind.

First time I've ever heard of Tony treating people poorly and I don't believe a word of it.

Fastpitch Dad

Reaction score
Romo did admit to passing on running looks in the red zone to pad his TD stats and would act dumb on the sidelines when Murray would question him about it. Ware does say people were worried about stats.
He admitted to wanting to pad his stats?

That's the first time I've heard that.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Like the time after flying back from NY after a night game he stopped and helped an elderly couple change a flat tire? What a terrible person.

Sounds like she (or you) have an ax to grind.

First time I've ever heard of Tony treating people poorly and I don't believe a word of it.
Why would I have an ax to grind with Tony Romo? I dont know him lol. Nor did I ever meet him while he was in college. I personally believed her but I did not care because Romo was a large reason why we were even relevant back then. However, with Ware saying what he did I can see how it may be true. Even Darren Woodson alluded to this.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Coaches don’t make players come in hang out with each other.

For every Ware type player we have there is a Witten right behind him.

The players come in, do their job and clock out. That’s a problem far beyond a coach can solve.

What do you mean? Garrett does hangout with the players. He hangs out with Witten and Romo. But that's about it.

Witten and Romo was his ardent supporters. Which was probably the reason why his tenure failed as coach.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
This just confirms to me that coaching was the primary problem. Ware recognizes that the team had the talent. He feels the camaraderie was missing, and it might have been, but to me, if your team has the talent, it's up to the coach to pull it together.[/QUOTE

+1000.......Have all the talent in the world but if you don't know how to use it, you will fail. Nothing new, we've seen it many many times. I will also add a lack of accountability. Most, not all but most players need structure and leadership. You can't the best from your team and NOT hold each and every to the same standards without consequences and discipline.

Redline360

Reaction score
No suprise coaching matters and like I've said before the Cowboys organization is all about the entertainment/ diva personalities of players

Teams like the patriots and saints are football organizations

They can talk about chemistry and the locker room all they want but it's still all about talent. Ware was expected to carry the defense year after year here. In Denver, he joined a talented defense with Von Miller, Aqib Talib, Chris Harris, TJ Ward, and Malik Jackson. Ware never had that kind of help here...maybe Terence Newman and 2 good seasons of Ratliff but that's about it.

The only thing I disagreed with was his comment about talent. The above poster hits the nail on the head. Cowboys defense bar a year or two were damn near abysmal league worst disasters. You cant expect the offense to put up big points every single game while letting the opposing team score 3tds a game

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Good thing we got guys like Zeke...he’s all about the team :rolleyes: While his teammates are getting ready in the pre season he’s holding out in Cabo shopping for purses and demanding to be paid the most ever for his position with 2 years left on his contract but I’ve been told by other posters that his holdout never effected the team.

What does Ware know about winning championships?!

:facepalm::facepalm: You and your Zeke issues

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Well, he said several things in that regard. Everyone wanted to be chief. The players didn't hang out because most of them were married. Etc.

The difference between that environment and the one we had when Jimmy Johnson was here IMO was Johnson. He set the standards for what was expected on those Super Bowl teams. If the talent is there, which Ware has no doubts about, then it's on the coaches to make it cohesive.

You could see the things Ware is talking about the last year that Phillips was here. Players became entitled and slipped in so many ways because they had a coach who didn't know how to guide them.

I thought Garrett was better in that aspect and his failures had to do more with philosophy and scheme, but what Ware says would indicate that he wasn't.

If you think about Jimmy and Parcell and even Landry to a degree, they didn't care that much about what was going in players' personal lives as long as it didn't affect the standards they expected on the field.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
"Sometimes you can get used to the atmosphere that coaches bring. I think that change is good." "Change is good when the team accepts it." - Sounds like he was hinting at the Wade firing/JG hiring.

"What clicks with championship teams. What I learned with Denver - it clicks in the off-season. How well we communicate. It's built in the off-season."

"It makes you play harder for guys. You know their mentality and why they're playing the game." "It's not about a chick." - Shot at Romo?

"When I was with the Cowboys, there were no missing pieces. But we were missing that total team mentality."

"Third string Left Tackle is in the game. Let's say we can't run the football. And the RB's chipping the whole game, he just took on his responsibility to win the game." "Even if he only had 20 yards, he'll take it knowing we won the game..... instead of being worried about how many yards and TD's he had."
- Sounded like a shot at Demarco Murray and/or Barber.

"I like the teams that bicker amongst each other, because they're being honest...I don't wanna be afraid to talk to the QB or RB."
"There wasn't a guy that was bigger than the team. It started from the top."

Important to note that just because that was Ware's experience in Denver and they won a SB....playing Xbox and having group text messages with your teammates doesn't mean you'll be hoisting Lombardis.

Think Jimmy often said, championships are won during the off-season.

Hadenough

Reaction score
If you haven't seen this it's great stuff by Demarcus ware! The video is a little long and it lags, but Demarcus goes into reasons why his Cowboys despite having all the pieces couldn't break through and get it done while the Broncos could. He alludes to the Cowboys having way too many chiefs and not nearly enough Indians. He also talks about they were more worried about stats and td's as opposed to each other. He said the Broncos would hang out together in locker room play video games, bring the family to just be around everyone during practices. He said the Cowboys lacked that team and the closeness.

Does this surprise anyone? Check the vid out, it's long and pool quality, but relevant content.

VIDEO HERE
This is nothing new. All the years I've been watching football this is a common trait among the better teams.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
He admitted to wanting to pad his stats?

That's the first time I've heard that.
He was commentating on a game. He said sometimes he would pass when the defense was showing a running look near the goalline and Murray would question him on the sidelines and he would respond "Oh, really". He stated that all QBs should do it as it's an easy way to pad stats and get a few more touchdowns out of it.

If I have time, I'll flip through his games on NFL Game Pass and find the game he said it in.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Demarcus was one of our better players and starters here but in denver he was a role player. That is why they succeeded. They had better overall talent and we began switching back to a 4-3 alignment without the correct players to do so at a high level.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
I thought Romo got a little too Hollywood with the locker room. He had his guys like Witten and Miles Austin, but when I saw him on the National Enquirer with Jessica Simpson, I knew it was over. :(
What's wrong with Jessica. I thought she was a hottie.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
If you haven't seen this it's great stuff by Demarcus ware! The video is a little long and it lags, but Demarcus goes into reasons why his Cowboys despite having all the pieces couldn't break through and get it done while the Broncos could. He alludes to the Cowboys having way too many chiefs and not nearly enough Indians. He also talks about they were more worried about stats and td's as opposed to each other. He said the Broncos would hang out together in locker room play video games, bring the family to just be around everyone during practices. He said the Cowboys lacked that team and the closeness.

Does this surprise anyone? Check the vid out, it's long and pool quality, but relevant content.

VIDEO HERE
that's jerry's fault. he is responsible for the culture of the team, as he creates the distractions, creates the chiefs and breaks lines of authority all the time....as long as Jerry is the GM and in charge we will never win another superbowl. I have come to that realization. our ceiling is probably 2nd round of playoffs and if we get a lucky bounce the NFCCG.....and then it all deteriorates after that since Jerry will get anxious and start making his moves, meddle and ruin everything.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Good thing we got guys like Zeke...he’s all about the team :rolleyes: While his teammates are getting ready in the pre season he’s holding out in Cabo shopping for purses and demanding to be paid the most ever for his position with 2 years left on his contract but I’ve been told by other posters that his holdout never effected the team.

What does Ware know about winning championships?!
Why is everyone so quick to blame Zeke! Look at the history of whats happening to RBs around the league. Especially top RBs they just arent getting paid so can blame you him. Besides his 15 mil a year is a drop in the bucket compared to some of the other positions considering he touches the ball more than anyone but the center and QB. And he had almost 1800 combined yards.