Derrick Brown possibly being on the board at 17

Fredbeard

Reaction score
Why are we focusing on Brown's combine performance. HE HAS played at a high level in one of the best conferences in college football,
A conference which is known for featuring offenses that prioritize running the football.
Brown is widely considered a top ten pick and he plays a position of need for the cowboys. If he fail it would be a no brainer the cowboys should pick him and would make up for years of neglecting the position.
If we were going by combine performance , trysten hill should have destroyed the league this past season , yet he barely saw the field

cnuball21

Reaction score
Why are we focusing on Brown's combine performance. HE HAS played at a high level in one of the best conferences in college football,
A conference which is known for featuring offenses that prioritize running the football.
Brown is widely considered a top ten pick and he plays a position of need for the cowboys. If he fail it would be a no brainer the cowboys should pick him and would make up for years of neglecting the position.
If we were going by combine performance , trysten hill should have destroyed the league this past season , yet he barely saw the field

Because it’s all part of the evaluation process.

In the top 20 you want elite tape/production and elite athleticism to maximize your chance of a hit.

When a player is lacking one or the other, it raises questions.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
If brown is falling we have to jump up to take him. I don’t see him falling though. I think his tape will still help him become a top 10-12 pick. If only we lost that Commanders game

morasp

Reaction score
I don't see any chance that he would be there, the Jags, Bucs, Colts, Panthers, and Falcons all pick before us and have a primary need at IDL. On the off chance he is there trade back a little The Ravens and Vikings also have a primary need at IDL. If we lose Byron Jones, unless they think Chido can be a CB1, we'll almost have to go CB. By round two the talent level at CB is going to be pretty slim and that guy from Denver they had interest in is going to be expensive and I'm pretty sure I read he played slot. With a trade back we should still be able to get one of Henderson, Johnson, Gladney, Diggs, or Terrell and another pick might help us pick up a safety that could potentially be a starter as well as a good DT like Elliot, Davis, Blacklock, Davidson, or Madubuike.

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score
I don't see any chance that he would be there, the Jags, Bucs, Colts, Panthers, and Falcons all pick before us and have a primary need at IDL. On the off chance he is there trade back a little The Ravens and Vikings also have a primary need at IDL. If we lose Byron Jones, unless they think Chido can be a CB1, we'll almost have to go CB. By round two the talent level at CB is going to be pretty slim and that guy from Denver they had interest in is going to be expensive and I'm pretty sure I read he played slot. With a trade back we should still be able to get one of Henderson, Johnson, Gladney, Diggs, or Terrell and another pick might help us pick up a safety that could potentially be a starter as well as a good DT like Elliot, Davis, Blacklock, Davidson, or Madubuike.
Mostly what I've seen is him going top 10.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

Because some of his drills put him in the lowest percentile for his position and that at the very least raises a red flag.

Believe it or not the combine is extremely useful.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
If brown is falling we have to jump up to take him. I don’t see him falling though. I think his tape will still help him become a top 10-12 pick. If only we lost that Commanders game

You can’t validate spending multiple picks on a player that has minimal effect on the passing game.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think this is a realistic possibility at this point.

I always felt he was overrated in terms of what he is good at and the value that provides to the team. Me personally I wouldn't draft a run stuffing D Tackle in the 1st round. I feel like you can get a veteran version of this player cheap in Free Agency.

He had a bad combine and I don't see him being a pressure player at the next level.

IMO Kinlaw is the #1 DT in this draft because he can put heat on the QB.

So.. If we get to draft day and Brown is on the board what do you do? Draft him and accept that he will not be much of a difference maker?
I always thought the sky high projections were a bit much. Kinlaw is the more valuable player.

With that said, 15 to 20 is about right for a player like Brown. I think he will be a good pro pass rusher, but you arent looking at a double digit sack guy. Brown is a 5 to 7 sack guy in the NFL. Im for a guy that is able to consistently push the pocket and help break play design. However in the top 10, you want a more consistent finisher like Kinlaw

Bowdown27

Reaction score
You can’t validate spending multiple picks on a player that has minimal effect on the passing game.

I think that’s with a lot of guys in the draft. We can sit here and say that spending multiple picks for that type of guy isn’t justified but it’s what other teams value him too that’s why seems teams over pay to trade up. I agree with you though. Don’t mortgage your draft for a guy who may not be able to everything you want.

dallas72

Reaction score
Yeah you’re not telling me anything I don’t know lol. This is rookie stuff..

My football knowledge is too advanced for this forum at times so I have to keep that in mind when I discuss advanced things with you guys that you view as radical..
Your a TROLL...according to you..you want to let teams run on us lol...

dallas72

Reaction score
Then in all seriousness, why do you keep proclaiming he does nothing but stuff the run?
Because he has 0football knowledge..he says noone runs the ball lol...49ers, Ravens, Vikings, Packers, Colts..ALL think hes a idiot

fansince68

Reaction score
I think this is a realistic possibility at this point.

I always felt he was overrated in terms of what he is good at and the value that provides to the team. Me personally I wouldn't draft a run stuffing D Tackle in the 1st round. I feel like you can get a veteran version of this player cheap in Free Agency.

He had a bad combine and I don't see him being a pressure player at the next level.

IMO Kinlaw is the #1 DT in this draft because he can put heat on the QB.

So.. If we get to draft day and Brown is on the board what do you do? Draft him and accept that he will not be much of a difference maker?
Use game film to evaluate. Big fatties never do great at track and field games.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I'm worried about the teams right in front of us as far as snatching up either of those DTs if they slip.

Let's not try to look for a complete DT at 14. Either Brown or Kinlaw would fit the bill, and we would be lucky to get either at that spot.

I'll say it again....we are going to JUST miss on one of them. We will have our pick of corners not named Okudah, one of Jeudy/Lamb, or most of the edge guys projected in that range.

reddyuta

Reaction score
Dlinemen drop all the time(remember Sharif Floyd) and you will be foolish to think such a bad combine wont drop him out of the top 10.