Deuce Vaughn is RB1

Chasing6

Reaction score
I like Vaughn don’t get me wrong, but in the NFL you have to block in order to be considered a RB1. You can’t come off the field on third down and seven because your quarterback will get killed if you don’t. What would he do to protect Dak when a 240 pound linebacker comes through untouched?
That is what you call a "look out block".

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
I think they will go back to the Zeke soften 'em up and Dowdle hit 'em with quickness formula from a few years back. I don't think it works the other way around but it might. I just have repeated visions of defenders ducking their heard preparing for contact after rasslin with Zeke for a spell only to find out that it was Pollard comin at them and he would just run right by 'em. I think that formula will work but again.. if the other order works I'm fine with that as well.
It will be interesting to see what Zeke has left. I didn't make to TC this year, and we haven't seen him in preseason games. Maybe he'll be a pleasant surprise.

Chasing6

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see what Zeke has left. I didn't make to TC this year, and we haven't seen him in preseason games. Maybe he'll be a pleasant surprise.
I think he will be a surprise only because everyone has such low expectations. Rico will be our leading RB unless he gets injured.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I like Vaughn don’t get me wrong, but in the NFL you have to block in order to be considered a RB1. You can’t come off the field on third down and seven because your quarterback will get killed if you don’t. What would he do to protect Dak when a 240 pound linebacker comes through untouched?

This idea that he’s awful at blocking is not realistic and it’s something our fanbase constantly does and is rarely ever true.

Pollard was a above average blocker but if the guy missed 1 block in 4 games the window lickers on this site came screaming about how he couldn’t block.

I don’t want Deuce isolating on guys running full speed down hill at him a lot but it’s not this gigantic liability like some our acting it is.

Plus we don’t need him to carry the load. Nobody on this roster is capable of doing that so we can split duties.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I don't and don't claim to.

That's in contrast to others who do claim to know despite the fact that they don't, and don't really have evidence.
The kid is 5'5 175 pounds. It is not rocket science that he will not be able to pick up the blitz from a 6'1 240 pound LB.

If you need see repetition of visual evidence for that I am not sure what to tell you, because you will most likely never see it. The Cowboys coaching staff would be incompetent to even put him in that situation.

That would be equivalent to thinking Josh Ball might be able to return punts. I don't need visual evidence to know he can not.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
The kid is 5'5 175 pounds. It is not rocket science that he will not be able to pick up the blitz from a 6'1 240 pound LB.

If you need see repetition of visual evidence for that I am not sure what to tell you, because you will most likely never see it. The Cowboys coaching staff would be incompetent to even put him in that situation.

That would be equivalent to thinking Josh Ball might be able to return punts. I don't need visual evidence to know he can not.
So, assumption is all you have?

Not a very good position to make claims as if they are factual.

coult44

Reaction score
This idea that he’s awful at blocking is not realistic and it’s something our fanbase constantly does and is rarely ever true.

Pollard was a above average blocker but if the guy missed 1 block in 4 games the window lickers on this site came screaming about how he couldn’t block.

I don’t want Deuce isolating on guys running full speed down hill at him a lot but it’s not this gigantic liability like some our acting it is.

Plus we don’t need him to carry the load. Nobody on this roster is capable of doing that so we can split duties.
I’m not doing that at all. I like Duece. But he’s not RB1. He’s a 5-8 touches a game guy. He can be very effective. If our coaches were smart they’d go full Darrin Sproles mode.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
I’m not doing that at all. I like Duece. But he’s not RB1. He’s a 5-8 touches a game guy. He can be very effective. If our coaches were smart they’d go full Darrin Sproles mode.
He couldn’t be effective vs. the Memphis Showboats. There’s a 4th grader at my grand daughter’s bus stop within 20 lbs. of Vaughn. My god we have come to this? Release him with apologies to his Dad. It’s already a circus. No need for a sideshow.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I don't know how many of his advocates in this thread are the same people who spent a chunk of the off-season mocking me and a handful of others for asserting that a healthy Deuce would practically be a lock to make the 53-man. I don't keep those receipts.

But yeah. It's not like I'm some genius. The circumstances of last season, with a bell-cow RB who wasn't especially well-regarded for pass protection, made it necessary that Deuce almost never got any real-game carries... ie, "real game" meaning, not at the end of a game when both teams are trying to run out the clock. His stats weren't real game stats. It wasn't hard to figure out he should come into this season as a legitimate threat ready to be deployed.

That said.

This has to be a RB by committee. There should not be an RB1. Size does matter. In real games, you have to be selective because there are down and distance situations where all the wisdom dictates that a larger human being needs to be in the backfield.
Although he did better at it, he still has trouble moving the pile when he runs into defenders. There were plays in this preseason where as soon as he was hit, he was stopped. It's much better for him to be used in space where he can break ankles instead of trying to break tackles. This is not meant as a knock on him, he's just a small man in a big game. He wins the leverage battle some, but it's just hard for a player his size to move bodies.

I'm hoping, if his pass blocking is good enough, that we use him as the long-yardage back where we are either going to pass or run a draw. That allows him to use his quickness.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
From all accounts and what was shown from the scrimmage and practices with the Rams, he looked pretty good. Of course, the defenses weren't tackling to the ground in those practices.

I think there's a good chance that he starts off well, like he did his last two seasons with us, before injuries that come with age/use cause him to regress back into what he was at the end of both of those seasons.

coult44

Reaction score
He couldn’t be effective vs. the Memphis Showboats. There’s a 4th grader at my grand daughter’s bus stop within 20 lbs. of Vaughn. My god we have come to this? Release him with apologies to his Dad. It’s already a circus. No need for a sideshow.
I don’t agree with that. Sproles, MJD, Welker, Steve Smith, etc etc etc have been good at what they do.