Deuce Vaughn is RB1

Chasing6

Reaction score
Best all-around back on the roster is Rico Dowdle. The thing is he's never been able to stay healthy enough so nobody knows how he can handle a starter's workload.

If this team is smart enough to split the majority of the reps between Dowdle and Vaughn and use Zeke sparingly, they can recreate Pollard's 2023 production and then some.
Once again, we will not have a starter. No RB1. It will be a committee. They have made this very clear.

sacase

Reaction score
The amount of groupthink here is astounding. The excuses that are being made are crazy. Dude averaged 1.7 yards a carry and he is RB1? Same hype as last year and I promise same result. He just can’t play in the nfl. I think they will try to trade him. He’s not worth the roster spot.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
I’m all for keeping Deuce Vaughn. RB1? No. As a special situation 5-7 touches a game- yes.
We have a committee right now and we don't have a "bell cow" rb. Proper use of Deuce is in limited situations.

To be accurate with facts for the board Deuce was measured at 165 cm at the combine. That is UNDER 5'5". So no he is not 5'6" as some claim, and a good coaching staff should manage this properly with proper game situation and understanding of what opposing defences have in their arsenal.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Says the guy who wants a 5’6” 176 lb running back be the RB1. Now that’s lack of football sense.
He isn't 5'6". He is under 5'5".

FYI I stand 5'6-1/2" or 168.41 cm. My official measurement was done on a stadiometer. Deuce was done with the same device at the combine, and he was measured at 165 cm.

Not trying to call you out, pick on you, have anything against your post here or an opinion against small people, but I want to make sure the board is talking facts.

He is an accomplished football player, but IMO he needs to be managed to be effective on an NFL field.

Chasing6

Reaction score
We have a committee right now and we don't have a "bell cow" rb. Proper use of Deuce is in limited situations.

To be accurate with facts for the board Deuce was measured at 165 cm at the combine. That is UNDER 5'5". So no he is not 5'6" as some claim, and a good coaching staff should manage this properly with proper game situation and understanding of what opposing defences have in their arsenal.
Or we could make Duece RB1 and give him 20 carries a game and see if he lives until his 25 birthday.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Yall forget how bad he looked in real games last year. He was terrible.
And he is imo.

I can understand the love for the guy but in the end he is not nfl material. And its not even close. Just a feel good story.

I wonder when we finally stop this stupid crap and get back to being serious about football.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I’m all for keeping Deuce Vaughn. RB1? No. As a special situation 5-7 touches a game- yes.
Yeah I was that size when I came out of college 40 years ago and the NFL laughed at guys like me (and him) when we showed up at training camp back then. I was also probably faster than him but at no point in my life did I fancy myself an every down back in the NFL. It just don't work that way and I knew it then just as I know it now. I would have been ecstatic just to latch on as kick returner and 3rd down and gadget play back. That's the role Vaughan is suited for. Any talk of his being RB1 is just crazy talk. I have to admit it's pretty amusing to read all these people talking about how they think Zeke is going to play even though they haven't seen him take a single solitary game rep. We know Zeke is a power back whose value is never going to show up in these two hand touch practices. When defenders actually have to get him to the ground I think a lot of fans are going to find themselves going "damn I aint know he had that left in him..."

Chasing6

Reaction score
And he is imo.

I can understand the love for the guy but in the end he is not nfl material. And its not even close. Just a feel good story.

I wonder when we finally stop this stupid crap and get back to being serious about football.
He can have some success in limited situations.

Screen, draw play, maybe a swing pass and against a D with a bad run defense.

If we can get him in some space he could create some havoc, but no way is he an RB1 bell cow.

deerhunter11

Reaction score
It’s incredibly obvious.

Anyone else on this roster should just be a player who spells him or brings a little more power during certain situations but he’s far and away our most talented runner and it’s not even close.

They can play all these stupid games with old Zeke and Dowdle but Vaughn is better than all of them and it’s obvious.

Drop the country club BS and play Vaughn.
I agree start Deuce ,mixed in with dowdle .Play Zeke on short yardage and goal line situations.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
He did get a couple of early carries in one game but I cannot for the life of me remember which. If you're really interested you can find splits on pro-football-reference.com. They have the quarter by quarter splits for each player there.,
I found it... Vaughan had 4 carries for 19 yards in the 1st and 2nd quarter last year. Almost 5 yards a pop. Maybe there is something to the notion that he might do some damage behind the starting o-line.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
Dallas will have a rotational group of RB's, but don't confuse this with "running back by committee". It's not.
They will have a RB1. That's Dowdle. He will play all 3 downs.
Others will rotate to give him a break, and Zeke or Deuce will come in for certain situations, but that is not RB by committee.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He isn't 5'6". He is under 5'5".

FYI I stand 5'6-1/2" or 168.41 cm. My official measurement was done on a stadiometer. Deuce was done with the same device at the combine, and he was measured at 165 cm.

Not trying to call you out, pick on you, have anything against your post here or an opinion against small people, but I want to make sure the board is talking facts.

He is an accomplished football player, but IMO he needs to be managed to be effective on an NFL field.
I got those numbers from the mother ship.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Dallas will have a rotational group of RB's, but don't confuse this with "running back by committee". It's not.
They will have a RB1. That's Dowdle. He will play all 3 downs.
Others will rotate to give him a break, and Zeke or Deuce will come in for certain situations, but that is not RB by committee.
I think they will go back to the Zeke soften 'em up and Dowdle hit 'em with quickness formula from a few years back. I don't think it works the other way around but it might. I just have repeated visions of defenders ducking their heard preparing for contact after rasslin with Zeke for a spell only to find out that it was Pollard comin at them and he would just run right by 'em. I think that formula will work but again.. if the other order works I'm fine with that as well.

coult44

Reaction score
It’s incredibly obvious.

Anyone else on this roster should just be a player who spells him or brings a little more power during certain situations but he’s far and away our most talented runner and it’s not even close.

They can play all these stupid games with old Zeke and Dowdle but Vaughn is better than all of them and it’s obvious.

Drop the country club BS and play Vaughn.
I like Vaughn don’t get me wrong, but in the NFL you have to block in order to be considered a RB1. You can’t come off the field on third down and seven because your quarterback will get killed if you don’t. What would he do to protect Dak when a 240 pound linebacker comes through untouched?