Deuce Vaughn Will Be a Beast for Us

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Gotta say......good points that should be considered.

For me, it just reeked of a PR stunt. However, I don't value being right over the player being a solid contributor. If Vaughn should actually turn out to be a successful RB in this league then that could be a "feel good" story. He would be a true inspiration.

There is always an exception to a generally accepted rule. Nate Newton was too fat to be a starting lineman in the league. Coaches were constantly trying to get him to lose weight. Some of them stopped after they saw him dunk a basketball at 340 pounds.

Emmitt Smith was too slow to be a top tier RB, I remember that criticism.

The highest ranked defense in Cowboys history was the 2003, #1 ranked in yardage, #2 ranked in points allowed. That defense featured two linebackers that were 5'10, 236 LBS and 5'11, 238 LBS, Dexter Coakley and Dat Nguyen. Coakley made the Pro Bowl that season.

How special would that be if Vaughn not only made the team but starred? Who is the smallest player in the NFL to ever make Rookie of the Year? That would be epic. I know I'm going to the opposite end of the spectrum here, but he's the kind of guy you really want to root for, the "unlikely hero" type.
It was 100% a PR stunt.

But..

Even without the PR stunt I would still want to gamble on this player where we did.

I actually feel bad for him because it looks like the only reason he was drafted is because of his dad but all that aside the dude is an awesome football player.

If he wasn’t an awesome football player I’d be calling out the Cowboys right now but fortunately their PR stunt potentially landed us a heck of a player.

Sydla

Reaction score
I am getting a Turpin vibe here from the fanbase.

In other words, our fanbas is going gaga over Vaughn somehow being some big time playmaker for us just like many thought Turpin was going to light the league on fire as a returner.

It would not surprise me if Vaughn spent a lot of time inactive this year as he learns the game and then maybe by Year 2 he's ready to make healthy contributions. And there really is nothing wrong with that.

Then again, if we don't sign any more TBs, Vaughn may be forced into action anyway this year.

Sydla

Reaction score
Gotta say......good points that should be considered.

For me, it just reeked of a PR stunt. However, I don't value being right over the player being a solid contributor. If Vaughn should actually turn out to be a successful RB in this league then that could be a "feel good" story. He would be a true inspiration.

There is always an exception to a generally accepted rule. Nate Newton was too fat to be a starting lineman in the league. Coaches were constantly trying to get him to lose weight. Some of them stopped after they saw him dunk a basketball at 340 pounds.

Emmitt Smith was too slow to be a top tier RB, I remember that criticism.

The highest ranked defense in Cowboys history was the 2003, #1 ranked in yardage, #2 ranked in points allowed. That defense featured two linebackers that were 5'10, 236 LBS and 5'11, 238 LBS, Dexter Coakley and Dat Nguyen. Coakley made the Pro Bowl that season.

How special would that be if Vaughn not only made the team but starred? Who is the smallest player in the NFL to ever make Rookie of the Year? That would be epic. I know I'm going to the opposite end of the spectrum here, but he's the kind of guy you really want to root for, the "unlikely hero" type.
He's a 6th round pick. If you get a really good situational guy out of him, that's a win. Look at someone like Boston Scott in Philly who has carved out a nice role for himself there. Granted, while similar heights, Scott is like 20lbs heavier. Nevertheless, I think anyone thinking Vaughn is going to become some starting or co-starting TB are way too bullish. I suspect he's going to be developed into a 3rd down back type of player. And there is zero wrong with that kind of expectation.

Cowboysheelsreds058

Reaction score
That was in college against slower secondaries. Mostly white guys. This was a wasted pick only cuz they had nobody else and they wanted to make his dad happy. That’s Jerry. He is camp body that’s about it

Guess we will see how he performs on the big stage, this is what makes America great, we all have different opinions and don’t have to agree to the same principles as N. Korea or face the firing squad.

XXLMike

Reaction score
I'm warming up to this pick, big time. I think my favorite pick was Villiami Fehoko.. But Duece Vaughn will be a player for us.

He gives our offense a different flavor, and there's going to be a different game against San Fran.

I really like his ability to be a RB while also being a WR. In other words, we've got our own guy who can play WR and RB!
He’s not even that fast to be honest he has a good quick move about him and that’s about it. He doesn’t have breakaway speed. He’s caught and run down in nearly every situation on YouTube.
You’ll be lucky to make the practice squad.

Ken

Reaction score
He’s not even that fast to be honest he has a good quick move about him and that’s about it. He doesn’t have breakaway speed. He’s caught and run down in nearly every situation on YouTube.
Ya, look at all of those guys just run him down.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
This is BS.

He’s not caught and run down in nearly every situation.

His long speed isn’t great but it’s not awful.

If he’s in a situation where he’s getting caught from behind then he’s 100% chewing up a ton of yards in the process.

Is he any slower than Derrick Henry who can house it from anywhere?

He also had a 90 yard run against Alabama…

Ken

Reaction score
This is BS.

If he’s in a situation where he’s getting caught from behind then he’s 100% chewing up a ton of yards in the process.

Only guy who got a hand on him was Kool-Aid McKinstry, a 5 star recuit who is at worst a 4.4 40. He also had an angle. Everyone else didn't close on him at all during that run vs Alabama

tm1119

Reaction score
Wouldn’t be surprised if he’s inactive, if not on the practice squad…not a short yardage/goal line back, can’t be relied on to protect the QB in shotgun, and what role can he play on special teams?
He’s a specialty 3rd down back that isn’t better than Pollard at any part of the 3rd down RB role. Luepke would probably be a more productive player on the roster.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Only guy who got a hand on him was Kool-Aid McKinstry, a 5 star recuit who is at worst a 4.4 40. He also had an angle. Everyone else didn't close on him at all during that run vs Alabama
If he breaks past the secondary he’s automatically going to chew up a ton of yards before he gets caught anyways.

I think the Emmitt comparisons are super lame but I think Emmitt is a reminder in this case…

Reactions: Ken

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
This is one of my favorite Deuce Vaughn runs.

He’s made for this part of the field.

“Making people miss in a phone booth.”

Well said by the announcer. Dude is at his best in heavy traffic. He’s not some space player only.

XXLMike

Reaction score
This is BS.

It’s true - he has great burst but a short stabbing stride - he’s done after 30 yards

Canada180

bannedontherun88
Reaction score
Interesting that Sproles went to Kansas St. too.
THE DEUCE IS LOOSE!!

Cowboysheelsreds058

Reaction score
As long as the kid can matriculate the ball down the field that is what counts. If he doesn’t score and we are in the red zone, it is on Dak and O to get it in there.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
IMO, he is either going to work on day 1 or he is going to be a bust. There isn't some huge learning curve for an RB that you go from a practice squad player to a quality player after a few years of learning. He either has it or he doesn't.

Also, I don't think his height is an issue. I think his speed is fine. The issues I see are his weight and his arm length. If he fails, its going to be because he is either afraid of contact or he goes down just by NFL sized defenders pushing him.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
He's a 6th round pick. If you get a really good situational guy out of him, that's a win. Look at someone like Boston Scott in Philly who has carved out a nice role for himself there. Granted, while similar heights, Scott is like 20lbs heavier. Nevertheless, I think anyone thinking Vaughn is going to become some starting or co-starting TB are way too bullish. I suspect he's going to be developed into a 3rd down back type of player. And there is zero wrong with that kind of expectation.
I hope he’s more 1st down.

The elephant in the room is Malik Davis.

The Cowboys obviously like him and signing Ronald Jones is just insurance if Davis doesn’t work out.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Do you have any confidence they will properly even use Deuce? They typically never carve out for these guys.

Knowing the Cowboys he will be a returner and catch a few passes.

Would love for them to feature this kid in a package within the offense. Just dont see them doing it.
Under Linehan, Garrett, Moore. I would agree with you.

Lets see what MM does