Deuce Vaughn Will Be a Beast for Us

blueblood70

Reaction score
I watched the entire first half of the Sugar Bowl. The big hype game for Vaughn. I can give you a play by play breakdown, but I'll keep it more overview.

1. K State was kinda gimmicky. Switched QBs a lot. Fullhouse backfield. Seemed more geared towards passing. Really good oline.
2. DV gets destroyed on pass pro. Gets destroyed blocking at all.
3. They tried a wheel route to him early that was intercepted. He has zero catch radius.
4. Several zero gain carries
5.More concerning, several runs for loss. He has no power so he jump cuts a lot trying to find space.
6.Does not return kicks. Shocker since this will be the only way he makes the team.
7.Had that 88 yard TD. Untouched.
8. Gets thrown around like a ragdoll on some tackles. He is slippery, but he will get killed on his second effort attempts with NFL size, speed and gang tackling.
9. How is it that there are two 22s that both play?
10. He literally looks like a 4th grader standing next to anyone.

This is not hyperbole, I left even further unimpressed. I was hoping to see something to get excited about. To see Darrin Sproles or Barry Sanders. But all I saw was one long run and a lot of nothing.
you just described Barry and Barkey LMAO.. More Barkley hurt all the time, zero sum gains, but long ruins padding his stats,., good try though.

blueblood70

Reaction score
He'll be out for a month the first time Bosa breathes on him.

He'll probably spend a year or two on the practice squad before starting his real career in the NFL as a scout, courtesy of the King of Nepotism as well as dear old dad.

Nobody else was going to draft him so I don't see why they just didn't wait to pick him up as a UDFA. I realize all the journalists and analysts are pretending that drafting him was a relevant event but none of them want to risk losing access to the biggest mouth in the league.

If any of them are having trouble finding a story, all they have to do is hang around Jerry for a few minutes. They aren't going to give that up.

Sorry, I know this seems mean spirited but I am so tired of Jerry Jones's PR antics. It's all about money, not winning.
thats cute, you picked a Bosa to call out player that gets hurt a lot.. more like Bosa trying to make late cut with DV changing his direction and bosa is out month, facts we don't see DV with a lot of time missed but both Bosas are regulars there..(bet you salivated over the swift trade like others and that dude is the IR king of RBs along with Barkly and Cmac)soem guiys who keep themselves in shape and get ready for games stretching etc and have good diet can be small and not be injury prone..how often was Sproles hurt and cop ot to other im mentioning even pollard not small but starting to get hurt more as he gets more carries. its football players get dinged or injured and yet im nto hearing that from DV college years,

Nepotism, so all the great Ex players who kids get drafted is name only ?? all coaches kids only get on teams over there names SMH

sorry that's not why they chose him..
saying nobody was going to draft him is your opinion but hey if he falls in the Romo, TD, and Kurt warner diss category to name a few, so be it.. all nice cute way to discourage fans from this pick, his sats dont like .. you do though..

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I watched the entire first half of the Sugar Bowl. The big hype game for Vaughn. I can give you a play by play breakdown, but I'll keep it more overview.

1. K State was kinda gimmicky. Switched QBs a lot. Fullhouse backfield. Seemed more geared towards passing. Really good oline.
2. DV gets destroyed on pass pro. Gets destroyed blocking at all.
3. They tried a wheel route to him early that was intercepted. He has zero catch radius.
4. Several zero gain carries
5.More concerning, several runs for loss. He has no power so he jump cuts a lot trying to find space.
6.Does not return kicks. Shocker since this will be the only way he makes the team.
7.Had that 88 yard TD. Untouched.
8. Gets thrown around like a ragdoll on some tackles. He is slippery, but he will get killed on his second effort attempts with NFL size, speed and gang tackling.
9. How is it that there are two 22s that both play?
10. He literally looks like a 4th grader standing next to anyone.

This is not hyperbole, I left even further unimpressed. I was hoping to see something to get excited about. To see Darrin Sproles or Barry Sanders. But all I saw was one long run and a lot of nothing.
Seems more geared towards passing? well this is a highly suspect review seeing as they had the 13 most rush attempts in 2022 in the NCAA, probably need to tell you there are more than 32 teams in the NCAA so its not close to middle of the pack...my god

plasticman

Reaction score
thats cute, you picked a Bosa to call out player that gets hurt a lot.. more like Bosa trying to make late cut with DV changing his direction and bosa is out month, facts we don't see DV with a lot of time missed but both Bosas are regulars there..(bet you salivated over the swift trade like others and that dude is the IR king of RBs along with Barkly and Cmac)soem guiys who keep themselves in shape and get ready for games stretching etc and have good diet can be small and not be injury prone..how often was Sproles hurt and cop ot to other im mentioning even pollard not small but starting to get hurt more as he gets more carries. its football players get dinged or injured and yet im nto hearing that from DV college years,

Nepotism, so all the great Ex players who kids get drafted is name only ?? all coaches kids only get on teams over there names SMH

sorry that's not why they chose him..
saying nobody was going to draft him is your opinion but hey if he falls in the Romo, TD, and Kurt warner diss category to name a few, so be it.. all nice cute way to discourage fans from this pick, his sats dont like .. you do though..
Drafting ex-player Jr. is not nepotism unless Sr. currently works in the front office of that franchise. It would be much different if that player was generally considered a high draft pick like Surtain Jr. However, Vaughn had a marginal shot at being drafted at all. It might seem like a nice story but that would depend on the results of his career.

Yes, it's only my opinion and I could very well be wrong.

When was the last time a 5'6, 175 LB RB made a relevant contribution to his team?

You have to go all the way back to 1984 to find Lionel James and the 1985 season in which he had 105 carries for 516 yards along with 84 receptions for over a thousand yards with San Diego during the Coryell/Fouts era. With Chandler, Joiner, and Winslow on the field, James had opportunities that Vaughn won't see in 2023.

Other than James, you would have to go back to the post-WWII era of NFL football in the 1940's and 1950's.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Drafting ex-player Jr. is not nepotism unless Sr. currently works in the front office of that franchise. It would be much different if that player was generally considered a high draft pick like Surtain Jr. However, Vaughn had a marginal shot at being drafted at all. It might seem like a nice story but that would depend on the results of his career.

When was the last time a 5'6, 175 LB RB made a relevant contribution to his team?

You have to go all the way back to 1984 to find Lionel James and the 1985 season in which he had 105 carries for 516 yards along with 84 receptions for over a thousand yards with San Diego during the Coryell/Fouts era. With Chandler, Joiner, and Winslow on the field, James had opportunities that Vaughn won't see in 2023.

Other than James, you would have to go back to the post-WWII era of NFL football in the 1940's and 1950's.
you could be right, but when was the last time a 5'6 175 RB led the NCAA in rushing over 2 years was 2nd in attempts and 1st in all purpose yards at a Power 5 school who was run first offense...for sure it can be a question but there are certainly things that point to how he got here.

Big_D

Reaction score

Better numbers than most of the drafted RBs. I get that he's undersized, but what he's been able to do was certainly worth a flyer in the later rounds. It's not like the team just did him a favor. His numbers were worth the selection.

plasticman

Reaction score
Better numbers than most of the drafted RBs. I get that he's undersized, but what he's been able to do was certainly worth a flyer in the later rounds. It's not like the team just did him a favor. His numbers were worth the selection.
you could be right, but when was the last time a 5'6 175 RB led the NCAA in rushing over 2 years was 2nd in attempts and 1st in all purpose yards at a Power 5 school who was run first offense...for sure it can be a question but there are certainly things that point to how he got here.
Gotta say......good points that should be considered.

For me, it just reeked of a PR stunt. However, I don't value being right over the player being a solid contributor. If Vaughn should actually turn out to be a successful RB in this league then that could be a "feel good" story. He would be a true inspiration.

There is always an exception to a generally accepted rule. Nate Newton was too fat to be a starting lineman in the league. Coaches were constantly trying to get him to lose weight. Some of them stopped after they saw him dunk a basketball at 340 pounds.

Emmitt Smith was too slow to be a top tier RB, I remember that criticism.

The highest ranked defense in Cowboys history was the 2003, #1 ranked in yardage, #2 ranked in points allowed. That defense featured two linebackers that were 5'10, 236 LBS and 5'11, 238 LBS, Dexter Coakley and Dat Nguyen. Coakley made the Pro Bowl that season.

How special would that be if Vaughn not only made the team but starred? Who is the smallest player in the NFL to ever make Rookie of the Year? That would be epic. I know I'm going to the opposite end of the spectrum here, but he's the kind of guy you really want to root for, the "unlikely hero" type.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
I'm warming up to this pick, big time. I think my favorite pick was Villiami Fehoko.. But Duece Vaughn will be a player for us.

He gives our offense a different flavor, and there's going to be a different game against San Fran.

I really like his ability to be a RB while also being a WR. In other words, we've got our own guy who can play WR and RB!
Put on your air conditioner. He is 5-5-180. You are what you are.

links18

Reaction score
I'm warming up to this pick, big time. I think my favorite pick was Villiami Fehoko.. But Duece Vaughn will be a player for us.

He gives our offense a different flavor, and there's going to be a different game against San Fran.

I really like his ability to be a RB while also being a WR. In other words, we've got our own guy who can play WR and RB!
Didn't you say that about Turpin?

blueblood70

Reaction score

Disagree, he didn't choose his son nor scout him nor did the report on him..he stayed out of it had ZERO to do with us picking him.. might check the stats and highlights but keep up the great work with conspiracy theory's and negative posts. You are on roll and very popular. Pat yourself on the back and be pound of your team hate colors showing.. :angry:

way to :espn: on a great story. :facepalm:

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gosh, the player was drafted in the 6th round, not in the top of the draft. What on earth is all the animosity about? He'll provide a great change up

diamonddelts

Reaction score

Had that with Pollard against SF two years in a row. Did not work out well.