Video: Devin Smith. The New Slot WR of the Cowboys!

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Our slot WR isn’t on the roster yet. Smith is t a slot WR, and he’s a bottom roster guy who doesn’t give you enough on Teams to be active. He probably needs another big preseason to just make the roster. And we might not have much of a preseason at all this year.

Smith's only problem has been health. IF he is healthy and we don't take a WR high, I would expect him to be right in the mix for the #3 WR spot or a 4th WR spot in 4 WR sets.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
He made some plays when no defenses were really paying attention to him and disappeared when he was asked to step up. I think some fans got overexcited by a couple of big plays.

It's almost the equivalent of thinking Sam Hurd could be something special because he practically did the same thing in his second season with Dallas. There needs to be a lot more evidence that Smith is just not on that level.

I think its a little comical to say a guy disappeared for a game or two when he wasn't even one of the main weapons. Heck, Dez used to disappear for long stretches. Cooper was the #1 receiver and disappeared for half the season.

Hard to judge Smith when he really had an opportunity.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
2 things:

Smith can't stay on the field.

Smith is a straightline athlete and doesn't possess the lateral agility to play the slot.

You can't just put a player in a position because you want to.

Cant move laterally? That's a new one. Cant stay on the field has been the problem.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
CowboyRon is so funny to me.

According to him these players suck:
Robert Quinn, Byron, Dez, Zeke, Lawrence, Jaylon, Sean Lee, Anthony Brown

According to CowboyRon the player that is a shoe in for impact player if injury Free:
Devin freaking Smith lmao :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Just so everyone knows. In the games Smith has been active he's had 13.8 receiving yards per game.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I know that was supposed to be the book on him when he came out. It hasn’t worked out that way for him in the league so far. When your roster spot is taken by Ventell Bryant so that Bryant can be put on Teams, you’re not a guy who’s making the roster for anything but what you give on offense. He’s got potential as an offensive player, but he pretty much missed his opportunity when Gallup was hurt last season.

Smith’s a guy you have in case you’re decimated at WR and need someone to play outside in a pinch. He’s not a guy you hand 700 offensive snaps to.

Two games is not being given a chance. If the first time you are given a shot, its two games only, then most WR's would bomb out. Any idea what the first two games of Gallups career looked like?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I usually agree with a lot of your takes but when you said pollard is better than Zeke I had to stop reading.

I don't think that Pollard is better than Zeke. There are things that Pollard does better.

Maybe that angle is too complicated for you?

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was checking Dak's highlights and was surprised at the Devon Smith sightings. If you think "there's nothing there" you are crazy. The guy is extremely slick and skilled. He 'goes and gets the ball". If we can get him going, he and coop can stretch the field like nobody's bidness.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think that Pollard is better than Zeke. There are things that Pollard does better.

Maybe that angle is too complicated for you?

I think they are a magnificent 1-2 punch. Hopefully the new staff can more effectively regulate the timing.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I was checking Dak's highlights and was surprised at the Devon Smith sightings. If you think "there's nothing there" you are crazy. The guy is extremely slick and skilled. He 'goes and gets the ball". If we can get him going, he and coop can stretch the field like nobody's bidness.

Some people can see talent and others just cry and moan. I would love to see Smith stay healthy and get a shot to really prove himself. But its a long shot no doubt.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I think they are a magnificent 1-2 punch. Hopefully the new staff can more effectively regulate the timing.

They are actually the PERFECT 1-2 punch. Thunder and lightning. But when you over pay the 1 guy and rarely let the 2 guy play, it doenst work so well.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
As a rook he already had that skill set...

Sadly thus far, Zeke has been overused and overpaid and Pollard has been underused. Lets hope MM and Moore change part of that equation.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
They are actually the PERFECT 1-2 punch. Thunder and lightning. But when you over pay the 1 guy and rarely let the 2 guy play, it doenst work so well.
That will always be the issue when you invest in RB1 contract.
Bad build model, but Im done debating investing in RB1 at every level.
I should just keep myself in quarantine over this subject.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Sadly thus far, Zeke has been overused and overpaid and Pollard has been underused. Lets hope MM and Moore change part of that equation.
I believe that MM chose the Cowboys,, not the other way around,, as Ive stated in other posts, MM recognized the underutilized talent on this roster and it was a no brainer.
Would love to just be able to hear what MM thinks of Garrett.
I would pay for that thought.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Our slot WR isn’t on the roster yet. Smith is t a slot WR, and he’s a bottom roster guy who doesn’t give you enough on Teams to be active. He probably needs another big preseason to just make the roster. And we might not have much of a preseason at all this year.

These were Gallups first 6 games of his career

7 catches for 113 yards and 0 TD's. Did he get his shot and prove he didn't belong after 6 games?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I believe that MM chose the Cowboys,, not the other way around,, as Ive stated in other posts, MM recognized the underutilized talent on this roster and it was a no brainer.
Would love to just be able to hear what MM thinks of Garrett.
I would pay for that thought.

Even if he gave it and was honest in how bad Garrett was, The Garrett apologists would surely discount it and come running to defend their hero.