Dez already asked to take a pay cut?

Kaiser

Reaction score
The Vikings made out better in the Herschel Walker trade than a team giving up a 3rd for Dez.

Still on the fence, huh?

I think Dez will be back, I think the problems this season have several causes. Some are Dez's fault, some are not.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
I honestly think if dez is cut. He goes somewhere and puts up big numbers. Our scheme isn’t working for him. He has specific skills. Have to utilize him. Don’t put him in situations that aren’t to his advantage. I understand romo and him had a great repore but dak has thrown him some great balls. Yes some bad but some good.

Section446

Reaction score
He hasn’t been terrible he’s scored 14 TDs the past two seasons but he has been disappointing and clearly hasn’t lived up to his contract. If we release him and don’t find an upgrade then TWill becomes our #1 WR. He’s not even a good #2 WR.
We'd be no worse off.

hornitosmonster

Reaction score
This, according to DeMarcus Ware.

"They're going to go - they already went to Dez and said we're not going to pay you 12.5, can you do something for us to help out the team? If you say no, I'm not going to take a pay cut - guess what, you're not going to be with the Dallas Cowboys.”

There were some on this board that doubted whether this conversation would happen. It apparently already has.

Personally, I’d rather cut him then have him at a reduced salary. Dez’s better years are behind him.

He’s not capable of carrying the #1 WR mantle at this point in his career. He’s top 5 in the league in drops, which are drive killers, and he handles the ball carelessly. They’re covering him 1 on 1 now, he doesn’t have the speed to scare anyone and is unreliable as a red zone threat.

Wide receiver will be a major priority this off season.
Bye Dez, your career is just about over

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We would be a lot worse off if his replacement is even less productive and can’t put the ball in the endzone. Despite how disappointing Dez has been he was still our leading receiver this season. He led the team in yards, catches and TDs.
His catch rate is terrible.

Much of his stats are due to a very high number of targets.

The offense didn't miss a beat in the 3 games he was out in 2016.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
His catch rate is terrible.

Much of his stats are due to a very high number of targets.

The offense didn't miss a beat in the 3 games he was out in 2016.

The offense didn’t miss a beat with him out three games last year because we had a much better team and Zeke was unstoppable in those games. He rushed for 138, 134 and 157 in the games without Dez. Like I said despite how disappointing Dez has been you can’t just replace him with anyone. If Dak and the offense are going to improve over this season we need to add some explosiveness at the WR position. We need a legit #1 WR who’s a big play threat that has to be accounted for.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The offense didn’t miss a beat with him out three games last year because we had a much better team and Zeke was unstoppable in those games. He rushed for 138, 134 and 157 in the games without Dez. Like I said despite how disappointing Dez has been you can’t just replace him with anyone. If Dak and the offense are going to improve over this season we need to add some explosiveness at the WR position. We need a legit #1 WR who’s a big play threat that has to be accounted for.
TWill's average Yards/Game was double in those 3 games compared to his average for the other 13 games.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
TWill's average Yards/Game was double in those 3 games compared to his average for the other 13 games.

Dez being out was part of the reason, it opened up more opportunities for TWill. Another reason was Zeke being so unstoppable in those games. Beasley also had his best three games stretch of the season with 13 catches and 3 TDs.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

Dez being out was part of the reason it opened up more opportunities for TWill. Another reason was Zeke being so unstoppable in those games. Beasley had his best 3 game stretch with Dez out. He had 13 catches with 3 TDs and averaged 22.0 per catch against SF which was his best average of the season.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dez being out was part of the reason it opened up more opportunities for TWill. Another reason was Zeke being so unstoppable in those games. Beasley had his best 3 game stretch with Dez out. He had 13 catches with 3 TDs and averaged 22.0 per catch against SF which was his best average of the season.
More reasons Dez is easily replaceable.

the_h0wey

Reaction score
Joking about his production not equaling $17.5M next year? Nah...
I posted the link that shows he was the 9th worst offensive lineman in the NFL this year in giving up sacks and getting flagged for penalties.

Should we cut him? Nope. No one said we should.

So how much do you think he is worth per year? $20m ? $25M?
I like him at his current contract. He is a 5 time probowler and 4 time All Pro and still only 27 years old. I'll take my chances with him having a bounce back year. The deal he signed was a overall team friendly contract. You'd have to be high to ask Tyron to take a pay cut.

Reactions: BAT

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
More reasons Dez is easily replaceable.

Easily replaceable last season on a 13-3 team but not on this year’s team where all the receivers struggled. For our receiving situation to improve with the current team we need a legit #1 WR. Not going to be easy finding another receiver who can put 7 TDs on the board with the many issues we had on offense this season. If we don’t replace him with a better receiver we’re not going to improve. We could go from bad to worse. Our young QB needs a legit # 1 WR.

Brooksey

Reaction score
Easily replaceable last season on a 13-3 team but not on this year’s team where all the receivers struggled. For our receiving situation to improve with the current team we need a legit #1 WR. Not going to be easy finding another receiver who can put 7 TDs on the board with the many issues we had on offense this season. If we don’t replace him with a better receiver we’re not going to improve. We could go from bad to worse. Our young QB needs a legit # 1 WR.

If you want a good route runner who can catch 100 balls and score 7 TD's.. Jarvis Landry is a free agent and so is Davante Adams. We need to spend some money in free agency and draft well at WR this year.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
If you want a good route runner who can catch 100 balls and score 7 TD's.. Jarvis Landry is a free agent and so is Davante Adams. We need to spend some money in free agency and draft well at WR this year.
Dang, I wish you could find your old avi... it was the best here.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

Davante Adams was just extended by the Packers. I’m sure the Cowboys will examine free agency and the draft for a WR.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Adding dead money against the cap is a good trade-off to get rid of him. He is a liability on the field so it's time for him to go.