Dez Bryant Agent Tom Condon on Sirius NFL - Audio Post #9

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
@SiriusXMNFL: Tom Condon on Dez Bryant: Everybody anticipates Dallas is going to franchise Dez today and that's not a terrible thing. #Cowboys
@SiriusXMNFL: Condon on Bryant: Dez understands this is business and so do the #Cowboys and we will continue to work with Jerry and Stephen on this.
@SiriusXMNFL: AUDIO: @CAA_Football Super Agent Tom Condon talks about the latest with his client Dez Bryant and the #Cowboys! >>> http://t.co/barCzxZUFy

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
please do recap. this could be interesting even if generic.

much better than the media hyping a 4 year old story or sourcing each other while each admit sit is speculation.

DFWJC

Reaction score
@SiriusXMNFL: Tom Condon on Dez Bryant: Everybody anticipates Dallas is going to franchise Dez today and that's not a terrible thing. #Cowboys

@SiriusXMNFL: AUDIO: @CAA_Football Super Agent Tom Condon talks about the latest with his client Dez Bryant and the #Cowboys! >>> http://t.co/barCzxZUFy

VERY smart thing for Condon to say....and it's true.
Keep your client level-headed about this. The franchise tag is a compliment, the franchise loves Dez, but they still have some ironing out to do on a long term deal.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
Condon
  • Dez not formally tagged yet. Told he will be 4pm
  • Went through mechanics of the tag. Most people know this so wont go into much
    • Sign anytime, fully guaranteed for skill injury, cap
    • Not required to report to any voluntary OTAs
    • Required to go to mini camp if signed, not if not signed
    • Have until June 25 to hammer out a long term deal.
  • Up to player if he wants to participate in workouts. Would advise older vets to do minimal
  • Said Cowboys have told him they want to work out a long term deal. Some talks, but early. Dont want to lose him so thats why the tag. $13M bad thing. Some players look at it as good money. All want security
  • Moved to Peyton Manning. Said that physical is not required in his contract. expects him to be fine
  • Gannon said Maclin expected to hit market - no franchisetag. D Thomas coming, J Houston Coming
  • Back to the tag. said that working a deal for 2 #1s is harder today. Poison pills mostly gone. Last was S Hutchinson (Sea-Min)
  • Asked if he would advise Dez to sign early or wait. Said (laughingly) "Well, it probably wouldnt be wise to publicize that. Sadi Dez was a big dynamic, emotional leader. If a team in the last 4-5 draft spots needed a Michael Irvin to ensure playoff viability for the next 4-5 years, giving up a late #1 this year and late #1 next year may have value.
Overall seemed like agent speak, what ids he gonna say "No market for Dez."

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
VERY smart thing for Condon to say....and it's true.
Keep your client level-headed about this. The franchise tag is a compliment, the franchise loves Dez, but they still have some ironing out to do on a long term deal.

Thanks. Navigating LA traffic and trying to remember the whole thing 20 minutes later is sure to have some holes in my recap

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
@SiriusXMNFL: Condon on Bryant: Dez understands this is business and so do the #Cowboys and we will continue to work with Jerry and Stephen on this.

Thanks should have gone to you for the tweet and link post. Credit where credit is due - always

slick325

Reaction score

Condon is absolutely correct from Dez' standpoint. He can stand to make more money now than if he signs a long term deal...barring injury of course. Condon and Dez should look at it as signing a two year deal for $28.6mil guaranteed and not even entertain a long term deal in Dallas any longer. Take the Tag for two seasons, put up monster numbers then hit free agency at 28yrs old like Suh is doing. Dez now stands to potentially make exponentially more guaranteed money now.

$28.6mil from Dallas for 2015 and 2016. Then probably over $40mil guaranteed on the open market in 2017. No way Dez was seeing over $60mil guaranteed before this...not bad at all. I just would advise him not to entertain any long term deals from Dallas until 2017 at earliest and by then I would probably just move on if I were Dez.

As a fan, I hoped the sides would agree to a long term deal because the cap hit for the tag limits the team in a particular year. But, as a person who negotiates deals for athletes regularly...this may be a blessing in disguise for Dez as long as he can get over the "Cowboys for life" mantra.

coach steele

Reaction score
Interesting... He had to bring up what Dez might miss if a contract is not signed (very smart and a way to posture and try to regain some of your leverage). Though I think it will be difficult to keep Dez away from football, I understand why he mentioned that.

If I was Seattle (and had cap space) I would consider sending two first round picks. However, they don't and signing Dez long term will eat up even more space considering that they need to sign their running back and QB. New England is going to franchise their safety and wants to resign Revis. Don't think anyone is going to send two first rounders for him because most of the teams in the later rounds are tight against the cap (with the exception of the Colts who could then sign Murray long term). Not going to happen but crazy scenario.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
Perfect response. Can't really say anything else. We want him here and he wants to be here. A deal will get worked out withing the next week. That's my opinion.