Dez Bryant Agent Tom Condon on Sirius NFL - Audio Post #9

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
good stuff and thanks all for recaps!

far less dramatic than media make it out to be.

Basically Dez is a Cowboy unless someone is gonna offer TWO 1sts and pay him over 100million.
Cowboys could lock him in for 2 years on tags, Dez (and agent) would prefer he lock in his fortune of course.

Typical and completely outside any off-field nonsense from 4 years ago.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Thanks. Navigating LA traffic and trying to remember the whole thing 20 minutes later is sure to have some holes in my recap

You, sir, deserve my deepest sympathies. I had an opportunity to travel an LA freeway during rush hour. It was so congested, people got out of their cars and sat on their hoods until the congestion cleared up.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Why would he mention another team trading for Dez?

Agent's 3 options:
1. Create market for player and sign offer sheet.
2. Play on 1 year franchise amount.
3. Accept long-term deal.

Agent gets paid a small percentage of the deal so the bigger money paid to Dez right now the bigger money the agent is good for.

Condon has no guarantee of seeing a 2nd franchise tags money. Dez could easily change agents again considering the point of hiring Condon was getting a long-term big money deal. With the split from Roc Sports it could even seem likely he changes agents by next year if not signed long-term.

So I think the agent will be pushing hardcore for options 1 or 3.
The Cowboys realize this and thus hold all real leverage.

The handful of teams pretty sure they'd have low picks didn't get to that point by giving up 1st round picks to pay anyone 100 million.
Seattle saw a bad return on Percy Harvin.
The Pats gave only as 4th (IIRC) for Randy Moss.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
You, sir, deserve my deepest sympathies. I had an opportunity to travel an LA freeway during rush hour. It was so congested, people got out of their cars and sat on their hoods until the congestion cleared up.

I have heard it is a great time to try to get a date.
I kid you not.

LittleD

Reaction score
Well, a fine kettle of fish if Condon advises Dez to sit out until game 10.

http://cowboysblog.***BANNED-URL***...ive-cowboys-2-first-round-picks-for-dez.html/

Also, if some team signs Dez to a long term contract after the draft
this year, the two no 1's would be for 2016 & 2017.
If a good team signs him it wouldn't even benefit us this year....

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score

Everyday, 25 mile commute. Before 7am 35 minutes...after 7am 1:20. Hence why I have sirius.

But I can keep the top down 360 days a year :)

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Condon is absolutely correct from Dez' standpoint. He can stand to make more money now than if he signs a long term deal...barring injury of course. Condon and Dez should look at it as signing a two year deal for $28.6mil guaranteed and not even entertain a long term deal in Dallas any longer. Take the Tag for two seasons, put up monster numbers then hit free agency at 28yrs old like Suh is doing. Dez now stands to potentially make exponentially more guaranteed money now.

$28.6mil from Dallas for 2015 and 2016. Then probably over $40mil guaranteed on the open market in 2017. No way Dez was seeing over $60mil guaranteed before this...not bad at all. I just would advise him not to entertain any long term deals from Dallas until 2017 at earliest and by then I would probably just move on if I were Dez.

As a fan, I hoped the sides would agree to a long term deal because the cap hit for the tag limits the team in a particular year. But, as a person who negotiates deals for athletes regularly...this may be a blessing in disguise for Dez as long as he can get over the "Cowboys for life" mantra.

Yeah all he has to do is be able to predict the future and guarantee he isn't injured in the next two years of football activity.