Dez Bryant and Martellus Bennett were terrible picks

burntricersx

Reaction score
Eddie;4363123 said:
Honestly, I'd rather have drafted UFA Victor Cruz in the first round instead of Dez.

How the heck did the Gnats get Cruz for free???

You can say the same about Miles Austin and Tony Romo...both were UDFA.

bigboi

Benched
Reaction score
41gy#;4364668 said:
Robert Meachem should be in Dallas instead he's in New Orleans winning Super Bowls and hanging 111 yards and 1 TD (4 receptions) on the Lions.

Where was Dallas today?

Watching!

I wanted Meachem, but Dallas went with Anthony Spencer.

That was a very costly and big time 1st round mistake, imso.

Not only did the GM/organization arm the Saints, (see Meachem on Thanksgiving going yard), they spent a fortune on wide receivers.

If Meachem is the pick in the first round (in 2007), does the ridiculous contract/trade for Roy E. Williams happen?

Does iOwens' ridiculous second contract happen?

Does Austin cost so much money, because Roy E. Williams' horrendous contract set the market on Austin.

I know that I'd trade Austin for Meachem (straight up right now) and build the passing game around Dez Bryant. Bryant would be number 1, and Meachem would be number 2.

Austin had some of his salary turned into pro-rated signing bonus, so moving him is probably not even possible.

Why is Denarius Moore in Oakland?

Good luck with that Laurent Robinson contract....

Robert Meachum has yet to break 700 yards in a year as receiver or 10 TD's.

Yet you would trade Austin straight up for him?

Meachum has a high of 45 receptions in a year, its really hard to take you seriously with your propping of a pretty mediocre 1st round draft choice.

ringmaster

Reaction score
Eskimo;4364501 said:
I think Witten is showing a lot of indirect signs of slowing down.

I suspect he will be quite mediocre in about 3 years or so. His blocking is already down to average and in major decline at a rapid pace.
I disagree that Witten is on the decline as you say just don't see that yet.

bsheeern

Reaction score
BlueAndSilverSurfer;4363081 said:
the Roy Williams trade has helped Detroit immensely, and the Cowboys have had 1 playoff win in 15 years.

**** Jerry

I know and Roy was on the team that won the playoff game!!!! So actually it looks as if that trade was worth it after all. In fact we haven't won a playoff game without Roy Williams The WR since the 90's!!!! Sounds like it was the trade of the new millineum to me.:rolleyes: :cool:

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
punit328;4363092 said:
I'll agree with you about the Bennett pick, but not the Dez pick

I whole-heartedly agree. The Bennett pick has become extremely overrated and very questionable. At the time it was a great pick. But he has done nothing but become an adequate blocker. And even then, his supposed athletic ability is lacking in my opinion.

On the other hand.... Dez is not a question mark. Just a supremely talented kid that will only get better. No question about it.

Clarkson

Wonderboyromo
Reaction score
any one who says Dez was a bad pick just simply doesn't know football. that's really all there is to it.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
thing dallas does sucks and im going to complain about it, where is an emote with a babybottle or some kid taking his ball and going home. thats right, i am smarter than all those coaches and i never make a mistake after the fact.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
bigboi;4368549 said:
Robert Meachum has yet to break 700 yards in a year as receiver or 10 TD's.

Yet you would trade Austin straight up for him?

Meachum has a high of 45 receptions in a year, its really hard to take you seriously with your propping of a pretty mediocre 1st round draft choice.

Robert Meachem plays in a very crowded WR core, and he plays in a quarterback driven system, not a weapon driven sysytem. Sean Payton even uses his running backs that way. Furthermore, Reggie Bush and Darren Sproles have been big threats out of the backfield. Now, they have the TE. Some coaches will pick three guys and let them dominate; Peyton lets Drew Brees dominate. Meachem is quite capable of producing more, but he is winning big in New Orleans as it is. Meachem would be "winning", and he has sacrificed numbers to win.

Yes. I'd trade Miles Austin for Robert Meachem right now. However, it isn't going to happen due to the enormous cost of Austin. I'd get faster and hungrier at WR. Meachem is a clutch player. Dez Bryant would be elevated to the number 1 WR option. The passing game would be designed around Bryant, not Austin or Witten.

If the Cowboys would have drafted Denarius Moore like they should have, they wouldn't be held hostage by Laurent Robinson or the WR position, yet again.

Robinson is no better than Meachem. Meachem is a solid number 2 wide receiver in the NFL.

If Robert Meachem was drafted, this team's makeup would be a whole lot different.

ringmaster

Reaction score
41gy#;4368914 said:
Robert Meachem plays in a very crowded WR core, and he plays in a quarterback driven system, not a weapon driven sysytem. Sean Payton even uses his running backs that way. Furthermore, Reggie Bush and Darren Sproles have been big threats out of the backfield. Now, they have the TE. Some coaches will pick three guys and let them dominate; Peyton lets Drew Brees dominate. Meachem is quite capable of producing more, but he is winning big in New Orleans as it is. Meachem would be "winning", and he has sacrificed numbers to win.

Yes. I'd trade Miles Austin for Robert Meachem right now. However, it isn't going to happen due to the enormous cost of Austin. I'd get faster and hungrier at WR. Meachem is a clutch player. Dez Bryant would be elevated to the number 1 WR option. The passing game would be designed around Bryant, not Austin or Witten.

If the Cowboys would have drafted Denarius Moore like they should have, they wouldn't be held hostage by Laurent Robinson or the WR position, yet again.

Robinson is no better than Meachem. Meachem is a solid number 2 wide receiver in the NFL.

If Robert Meachem was drafted, this team's makeup would be a whole lot different.
I understand your love for Meachem but don't minimize what Robinson has done this season with this offense 11tds for a guy who is deemed as a third WR on other teams was amazing imo.

As for Meachem he is a very solid WR that is for sure and he is very good in that vaunted Saints attack, but I disagree with you however that Meachem, or Moore would be upgrades over Miles Austin in this offense because of how well Miles know the offense and when healthy is a very capable WR of putting up 1200 yds.

Meachem, and Moore would have to learn this offense and not say that they can't but it would be another learning curve for the QB and new WRs but them trading Austin won't happen anytime soon.

JackWagon

Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4363161 said:
Yup :laugh2: @ anyone who thinks Dez was a bad pick.

It was an AWEFUL pick ... we needed defense and Jerry said OMG I CAN GET A WR that NOONE WANTS ... I WONT PULL ANOTHER RANDY MOSS AND PASS HIM UP.

We needed D line LBs and DBs ... and Jerry WASTED THIS PICK on a ******BAG.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Eddie;4363123 said:
Honestly, I'd rather have drafted UFA Victor Cruz in the first round instead of Dez.

How the heck did the Gnats get Cruz for free???

Like you knew Cruz would end up a 1500 yard receiver. :rolleyes: Show me some posts where you were talking up Cruz prior to the 2010 draft wanting to take him in the first rd. :cool: The Cowboys got Romo for free the drafting process is an inexact science that's why Tom Brady ended up a 6th rd pick. It's easy to come on here 2 years after the fact saying what you would have done then.

Reaction score
Oh_Canada;4364961 said:
Maybe it suggests our QB is afraid to throw to a covered WR? How many times a game does Eli just heave balls up to Nicks/Cruz? How many times do you see Romo do the same thing? I realize Bryant does need to improve route running, but Romo sometimes needs to let his most talented player make a play.

I've considered that and I think it is at least partially true, Romo has been brow beaten into submission with the "protect the football" mantra, but some of those balls that Eli and Brees are throwing into coverage require accuracy, they have to put that football in a spot where the CB probably can't get it and the WR has a chance to make a play. That kind of accuracy and read is hard to pull off when A) Dez's routes are still unpredictable, B) you're under heavy pressure and can't step up into the pocket.

TheIceman

Reaction score
SDCowboy85;4363152 said:
We got Romo for 'free' which I think is the bigger deal of the two UDFA players.

Why because he's the QB of America's Team? It's not like Cruz is handing the ball to the opponent for Touchdowns when up by 24 points....And before everyone jumps all over me, I'm not saying Romo is the problem, but he's certainly not the answer and I think it's just time to go in another direction, despite his impressive late season play (save for wins).

DFWJC

Reaction score
Every team has a long list of bad picks.
And by the way, Parcell and Jimmy J had their share too.

Some do tick you off more than others. Barbie Carpenter for example. Also passing on Steve Jackson and trading down for Julius Jones. ...yikes. It happens to everyone.

I didn't like us trading up for Spencer for example in 2007, but he has not been a disaster.
We did give up out 36th, 87th, and 159th picks for him.

In the perfect world we would taken Pro Bowler LB LaMarr Woodley at 36, Pro Bowl S Dashon Golston at 87, and Pro Bowl CB Corey Graham at 168.
:laugh2: We all know that the odds of us actually taking those guys is zero, but it was an opprtunity lost. It happens almost every draft for most teams.

Reaction score
TheIceman;4370310 said:
Why because he's the QB of America's Team? It's not like Cruz is handing the ball to the opponent for Touchdowns when up by 24 points....And before everyone jumps all over me, I'm not saying Romo is the problem, but he's certainly not the answer and I think it's just time to go in another direction, despite his impressive late season play (save for wins).

Yeah trading the 4th highest rated QB in the NFL is the answer! :laugh2:

DFWJC

Reaction score
TheIceman;4370310 said:
Everyone will never let that Detroit game go....you know the one that he also threw for 330 yards and 3 Tds while playing with broken ribs. He did learn from those mistakes, so that was good. And you have to admit the Barbie return for a TD was very flukey (almost surreal) and there were some broken routes as well. Anyway, we should recall that he was playing hurt that game and he did throw 3 TDs.

Question: if Tony sits that game out completely, do we beat Detroit? I say we lose by 10-14 points or worse. The point is that it was one of 16 games and every single QB (except maybe Rodgers) had at least one game that bad or much worse.

bigboi

Benched
Reaction score
41gy#;4368914 said:

So you would trade for a receiver who has yet to break 700 yards in a year or 10 TD's for a guy who even in a down year and missed 4 games had more TD's and only 50 yards less total in receiving?

Its amazing that you make an excuse for Meachum playing in a crowded core yet both Lance Moore and Colsten have far outperformed him.

But your right if Meachum was drafted this teams makeup would be a lot different and everybody would be calling him a huge bust.

Please tell me again why should anybody consider Meachum a better receiver than Austin what metric are you using?

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
bigboi;4370447 said:
So you would trade for a receiver who has yet to break 700 yards in a year or 10 TD's for a guy who even in a down year and missed 4 games had more TD's and only 50 yards less total in receiving?

Its amazing that you make an excuse for Meachum playing in a crowded core yet both Lance Moore and Colsten have far outperformed him.

But your right if Meachum was drafted this teams makeup would be a lot different and everybody would be calling him a huge bust.

Please tell me again why should anybody consider Meachum a better receiver than Austin what metric are you using?

Meachem is a perfect deep threat for the Cowboys offense. Meachem has size and speed, too. He would be a very good # 2 WR opposite of Dez Bryant.

Miles Austin had one big break-out year, and then he received a ridiculous contract based on the ridiculous contract of Roy E. Williams.

Again, Robert Meachem wins and competes for Super Bowls on a team loaded with talented, fast WRs. Miles Austin's terrible route and poor running technique helped cost his team the NFC East this year. Bryant or Robinson take that pass to the house, so I hope the coaching staff does some evaluating of that position. Meachem goes yard, too.

Who was Darrelle Revis on this year? Who was Patrick Peterson and Nnamdi Asomugha on this year? Who was Cory Webster on this year?

Have to love how Austin blamed it on "the lights" and then came out and took the blame later during that week. Tory Holt (NFL Network) exposed Austin's very poor effort on that route, and again, I hope the coaches saw that pathetic execution by Austin. Have to love the killer instinct by Austin in that huge situation. I wonder what Garrett thought about it. I saw the look on Romo's face.

Miles Austin drops too many balls, likes to strut or show off, shows off while the clock is running out on his team and while his team is losing on the scoreboard..Have to love his stare down of a N.E. DB, followed by a signature Austin drop..Watch Miles start to show off against the Giants before he realizes the clock is running down. Scoreboard, Miles...

I think Lance Moore and Devry Henderson are a little bit better than Roy E. Williams, Patrick Crayton, Sam Hurd, and Kevin Ogletree with all due respect. Those are not excuses. Those are facts. The Saints are a quarterback driven team, and they have three legit deep threats. Meachem is a solid number 2 WR who plays with two other solid WRs at his position.

It isn't possible for a player's numbers to be held down due to coaching philosophy or coaching strategy. Please tell that to Micheal Jordan.

The gloves are off with Miles Austin. He's over-rated and over-paid, and that one route and effort against the Giants, with the division on the line, was pathetic.

Robert Meachem > Miles Austin

Dez Bryant is the x-factor in my "move".

Again, Meachem is a clutch player, and I've seen him beat teams like Baltimore deep when the game is on the line.

How do you measure clutch?

I'll take Robert Meachem going yard when it counts.

You can have the guy who totally went off like a dud fire cracker when it mattered the most for his team.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
41gy#;4368914 said:

He doesn't play defense. J/K.

I really don't see a big impact he would have made on offense. Austin can play at a pro bowl level and I don't see that in Meachem.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
If the Cowboys draft Robert Meachem, he is probably a big factor in the 2008 season, a season that saw Owens lose a step and "blow up". Meachem probably establishes himself that year for sure. The Cowboys were hurting at WR, especially speed at WR. The lack of speed at WR really exposed the Cowboys in December of 2008.

Again, drafting Meachem would have given Dallas Meachem and Miles Austin and probably saved them a ton of money at WR and prevented the Roy E. Williams fiasco of a trade and contract and the over paying of Miles Austin.

If Meachem is drafted, perhaps, Dallas makes Austin prove that 2009 wasn't a fluke. After all, Hakeem Nicks and Dez Bryant were lurking in the 2009 and 2010 drafts. Meachem would have given Dallas some solid, financially sound security at that position.

Importantly, the draft bust that is Anthony Spencer wouldn't be here, either.

Max Unger is probably your center, too.

Robert Meachem > Anthony Spencer

Can't wait for the Cowboys to panic and over-pay Robinson...

Two words:

Denarius Moore