Dez Bryant rookie season

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
CeeDee Lamb is coming into a similar situation as Bryant came into as rookie, that of being the the #3 WR. I wanted to take a look at Dez's production as a rookie as well as a comparison to his situation as opposed to Lambs.

In 12 games (2 starts), Dez had 45 catchs for 561 yards and 6 TDs. Calculated over 16 games he was on pace for 60 catches, 748 yards and 8 TD's.

2010 was a real show for Dallas. That was the year Wade was fired and Garrett took over. That was also Romo broke his collarbone.

Austin was the #1 WR that year and caught 69 passes. Down from 81 the year before.

Roy Williams was the #2 WR (lol). Bryant actually out produced him while playing 3 fewer games with 7 fewer starts.

Witten had one of his best statistical years that year with 94 catches and 9 TD's.

Overall as a team, we passed 576 times that season. 2019 we passed 597 times.

Overall, I think Bryant's rookie production is a good barometer of what to expect from Lamb this year. Austin/Cooper is probably a wash. Gallup is comically better than Williams. However I dont see Jarwin coming anywhere close to Wittens production.

Assuming he plays 16 games, I think 55-65 catchs amd 750-850 yards is a reasonable expectation for Lamb

phildadon86

Reaction score
CeeDee Lamb is coming into a similar situation as Bryant came into as rookie, that of being the the #3 WR. I wanted to take a look at Dez's production as a rookie as well as a comparison to his situation as opposed to Lambs.

In 12 games (2 starts), Dez had 45 catchs for 561 yards and 6 TDs. Calculated over 16 games he was on pace for 60 catches, 748 yards and 8 TD's.

2010 was a real show for Dallas. That was the year Wade was fired and Garrett took over. That was also Romo broke his collarbone.

Austin was the #1 WR that year and caught 69 passes. Down from 81 the year before.

Roy Williams was the #2 WR (lol). Bryant actually out produced him while playing 3 fewer games with 7 fewer starts.

Witten had one of his best statistical years that year with 94 catches and 9 TD's.

Overall, I think Bryant's rookie production is a good barometer of what to expect from Lamb this year. Austin/Cooper is probably a wash. Gallup is comically better than Williams. However I dont see Jarwin coming anywhere close to Wittens production.

Assuming he plays 16 games, I think 55-65 catchs amd 750-850 yards is a reasonable expectation for Lamb
Miles Austin is not even in the same stratosphere as amari cooper. Come on man.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Overall, I think Bryant's rookie production is a good barometer of what to expect from Lamb this year.

Austin/Cooper is probably a wash.
That's probably a good comparison and I agree there numbers will be fairly close.

Cooper >>>> Austin. Austin was hot for a couple years but overall Cooper is a better WR.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
People forget how good Austin was playing at that time. One of many receivers Romo made look good and then did nothing after leaving Dallas. He probably would've lasted longer if not for later being plagued by hamstring issues. He's not as good as Cooper, but in his prime they were definitely in the same stratosphere.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think your estimates are reasonable. I expect a little more from Ceedee based on having a smarter coaching staff than Dez had plus the more usage of the 3WRs sets. I will say 75 for 925.

John813

Reaction score
That's probably a good comparison and I agree there numbers will be fairly close.

Cooper >>>> Austin. Austin was hot for a couple years but overall Cooper is a better WR.

Austin had 81 catches, 1,320 yards and 11 TDs in 2009.
Cooper has only passed 81 catches once, in 2016. Yardage and TD Austin has him beat for a single year, so far.

Austin had a small peak, but his peak was comparable to Cooper in terms as a receiving threat. Maybe not the same master route runner, but route running isn't the end all for receivers.

Whyjerry

Reaction score

Lamb is going to be a good player but there are too many guys in front of him. Barring injury Cooper, Gallup, Zeke, and Jarwin should all get more catches. I not a big Jarwin guy but TEs shine under McCarthy. I don’t see how the 5th option gets 60 catches. Plus rookie receivers are never big on stats. I would peg him at 50 tops. 650 yards. Maybe 4 TDs. Again, Lamb is going to be a good one but it will be hard to get looks with all these guys. Pollard could catch 30-40 passes.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
People forget how good Austin was playing at that time. One of many receivers Romo made look good and then did nothing after leaving Dallas. He probably would've lasted longer if not for later being plagued by hamstring issues. He's not as good as Cooper, but in his prime they were definitely in the same stratosphere.
Austin went into that season coming off a season in which he had 80 catches, 1,300 yards and 11 TD's. Thats a better year than Cooper had in 2019

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Austin had 81 catches, 1,320 yards and 11 TDs in 2009.
Cooper has only passed 81 catches once, in 2016. Yardage and TD Austin has him beat for a single year, so far.

Austin had a small peak, but his peak was comparable to Cooper in terms as a receiving threat. Maybe not the same master route runner, but route running isn't the end all for receivers.
People get hung up on how quickly he declined. But at his peak Austin was a 1A type WR like Cooper. Probably not good enough to be a true alpha, but good enough to the best WR on a good team as long as you have other good WR's.

Its fortunate we landed an alpha in Bryant. Hopefully we landed another in Lamb

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
People get hung up on how quickly he declined. But at his peak Austin was a 1A type WR like Cooper. Probably not good enough to be a true alpha, but good enough to the best WR on a good team as long as you have other good WR's.

Its fortunate we landed an alpha in Bryant. Hopefully we landed another in Lamb
If I had the choice of prime Miles at his peak and prime Cooper at his peak? I don't think I'd be upset at either. If it wasn't for those hamstrings Miles would've been one of the best to come through here.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
When healthy? Austin might've been. That guy was a BEAST. I know he was undrafted but his downfalls were those darn hamstrings.
His measurables were as good as alot of first round WR's. Supposedly he ran a sub 4.3 at his pro day. He was just so raw

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

although cooper and gallup are far and away better than Austin and Williams, but perhaps we pass more today than 10 years ago. also think that McCarthy and Moore will pass more, as the saying goes use the pass to set up the run. what may benefit Lamb is that Jarwin is no Witten. Witten was at his prime back then and a force at TE in the NFL. so a lot of those TE passes may go to Lamb instead, as moore will probably run a lot of 3 WR sets. I think Lamb is better in YAC than Dez, so he may gain more yards. your numbers may not be far off, give or take 10%.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think he said Austin was. He wasn't talking about talent level, he was just looking at Austin's stats for Dez's rookie season compared to what Austin's stats might look like this year.

DanA

Reaction score
Dez’s Rookie season wasn’t that spectacular. IMO he was much more raw coming into the NFL than Ceedee Lamb. Dez’s talent was obvious immediately but many average guys like Terrence Williams had statistically better rookie seasons.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
although cooper and gallup are far and away better than Austin and Williams, but perhaps we pass more today than 10 years ago. also think that McCarthy and Moore will pass more, as the saying goes use the pass to set up the run. what may benefit Lamb is that Jarwin is no Witten. Witten was at his prime back then and a force at TE in the NFL. so a lot of those TE passes may go to Lamb instead, as moore will probably run a lot of 3 WR sets. I think Lamb is better in YAC than Dez, so he may gain more yards. your numbers may not be far off, give or take 10%.
They passed 20 more times in 2019 than 2010.

But you also have to remember we had prime Witten in 2010 who caught 94 passes. Jarwin isnt going to be targetted nearly that much.

Also we will probably be in 3 WR sets more than in 2010. Bryant only got 2 starts. Lamb might get 16. Although Im not sure if "starts" really matters