Dez Bryant rookie season

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
I think that's a fair rookie projection but I'm going to take the low side of 55 catches 750 yards 7 TDs. There's just too many weapons on this team for me to go any higher. You would think anyone would be glad to quarterback this team:rolleyes:

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Dez’s Rookie season wasn’t that spectacular. IMO he was much more raw coming into the NFL than Ceedee Lamb. Dez’s talent was obvious immediately but many average guys like Terrence Williams had statistically better rookie seasons.
Williams also played 16 games. Bryant 12. Williams caught 44 passes, Bryant was on pace for 60. Where Williams was better was YPC

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Statwise, this season bodes well for Lamb because McC prefers to get the ball to his WR's, including his 3rd one, and they don't have a great TE. I do not see a greatly improved D so scoring, moving the ball and big plays will be the order of the day.

From a management viewpoint, Lamb is the rook and Gallup will be coming up for a payday and Cooper is already one of the top paid WR's in the league.

I think we're going to see some "why are they paying Elliott so much" based on his contribution. McC hasn't had a RB like him and potentially, has never had a set of trip WR's like this and an O minded coach just has to play with that.

Lamb is a YAC guy and McC loves that in WR's. He will have him involved in the game plan.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Cobb had 55 for 828 and, if he didn't have all the drops, would have been over 1,000. 45 for 560 is too low of an expectation, since CeeDee is more polished.

I wouldn't ever expect a rookie WR to get 1,000 yards, but I would not at be at all surprised if CeeDee got to that.

EGTuna

Reaction score
Lamb is a better prospect than Dez. There's no Witten, but also, Zeke & Pollard are way better than Jones and Barber.

That 2010 team passed 58% of the time, and ran 42%. In 2019, it was 55/45. Under McCarthy, it will probably be closer to 58/42 depending on the score in the 4th quarter.

So assuming Lamb gets 75% or more of the snaps in 11/S11, then he has a good chance of exceeding Dez's totals, but even if he doesn't, he'll almost certainly impact the game in a variety of ways. Unless he's bust, which I doubt.

robjay04

Reaction score
People forget how good Austin was playing at that time. One of many receivers Romo made look good and then did nothing after leaving Dallas. He probably would've lasted longer if not for later being plagued by hamstring issues. He's not as good as Cooper, but in his prime they were definitely in the same stratosphere.

Well I think injuries did him in more than different QB play. I don’t even think he got another big contract after we released him.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Cobb had 55 for 828 and, if he didn't have all the drops, would have been over 1,000. 45 for 560 is too low of an expectation, since CeeDee is more polished.

I wouldn't ever expect a rookie WR to get 1,000 yards, but I would not at be at all surprised if CeeDee got to that.
Thats a 12 game total for Dez. Over 16 it would have been 60 for 750

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Lamb is a better prospect than Dez.
I definitely wouldnt say that. Bryant plummeted because of mental concerns. As a pure football he was tiered with Julio Jones and AJ Green at the time as far as caliber of WR prospect . Lamb isnt in that tier

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

He’s a rookie and as it stands should be the 3rd option. It’s tough to predict a guy in that position as a rookie. I’d be closer to predicting 600 yards than I would 1k though.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Lamb is a better prospect than Dez. There's no Witten, but also, Zeke & Pollard are way better than Jones and Barber.

That 2010 team passed 58% of the time, and ran 42%. In 2019, it was 55/45. Under McCarthy, it will probably be closer to 58/42 depending on the score in the 4th quarter.

So assuming Lamb gets 75% or more of the snaps in 11/S11, then he has a good chance of exceeding Dez's totals, but even if he doesn't, he'll almost certainly impact the game in a variety of ways. Unless he's bust, which I doubt.
Lamb is a better prospect than Dak? I don’t know about that. Mind you Dez missed his last year and was still projected to go top 12 in the draft. He fell to us as well.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I definitely wouldnt say that. Bryant plummeted because of mental concerns. As a pure football he was tiered with Julio Jones and AJ Green at the time as far as caliber of WR prospect . Lamb isnt in that tier
You also have to remember he also missed his last year of football. He was considered a risk. Broncos took Demariyus first but Dez was considered the best receiving prospect in that draft. People are trying to revise history or either simply don’t remember.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Miles Austin is not even in the same stratosphere as amari cooper. Come on man.
In the end, cant classify Romo as great, but he put a few bucks in certain peoples pockets other than his own....the names Austin and Garrett come to mind.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You also have to remember he also missed his last year of football. He was considered a risk. Broncos took Demariyus first but Dez was considered the best receiving prospect in that draft. People are trying to revise history or either simply don’t remember.
There were serious questions about his maturity. I think the cleat incident was a big red flag for alot teams. If he doesnt have the maturity issues, he wouldnt have made it out of the top 10

fivetwos

Reaction score
Interestingly they also left Lamb on the board to take Jeudy.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Interestingly they also left Lamb on the board to take Jeudy.
There really wasnt a consensus as to which was the better prospect between Lamd and Jeudy

Thomas was a a pure height/weight/speed guy. He had an insanely high upside. But as a pure WR at the time he was inferior to Bryant

After Megatron, GT seemed to really look for those big and fast guys. They had a couple WR's that were very raw but big and fast

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
CeeDee Lamb is coming into a similar situation as Bryant came into as rookie, that of being the the #3 WR. I wanted to take a look at Dez's production as a rookie as well as a comparison to his situation as opposed to Lambs.
Nice topic. I have a feeling, as many fans probably do, that CeeDee will become a very special player for the Cowboys. Breaking records along the way.